Gregadds' CAF coverage 2023

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Welcome to CAF 2023.
Welcome to the Metro DC area also known as yte DMV.
I will not provide total show cp erase. I will try to post real time coverage of things I find new and interesting. This is the first time in awhile my primary focus will not be on speakers and dacs. I will not neglect them.
Just a reminder of our world class subway system. Now connected to Dulles Airport. Not a short ride to the show but a nice ride.
It has been typical Northeast weather. Maybe some rain Friday in the am.
If you have never been, I suggest you spend some time on the mall. Plenty of monuments to see.
Peaceful protests only. Lol.
Enjoy the show

Reactions: Rumpole

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Something came up.
I will try to make it tomorrow

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Now that I am home from the show I can say,what an adventure. That is the first time I have ridden it since the expansion.

GENESIS

I am sure he will file an update. What appears to be a very promising speaker was taken out by a misbehavingpreamp

It's little brother has everything except adequate vreetical dispersion
That is a problem that could be solved by lowering you seat or placing it on stands. At around $8k it is bargain to be sure.
It s big brother is a taller version That Gary says deals with all those problems for around$5k more.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
What appears to be a very promising speaker was taken out by a misbehaving preamp

That has GOT to be aggravating. All the expense to fly everything out, set everything up, only to have something unforeseen thwart your entire effort.

Tom

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
So I have been having a little trouble uploading pictures. Should have it figured out soon.
MAGICO S3
just based on my brief auditiono i find difficult to justify spending more money on more expensive Magico models
It is much wiser to put the extra money into the Gryphon amp that was driving it.it was smooth detailed and yoonally balanced. I give Alon grief for introducing so many models,but this a winner. On top of that it not physically imposing

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Von Shweikert Audio
Always has been a world class speaker. To say that it in my opinion it has underperformed at CAF is an understatement2.i
So much so I had planned to skip thie room when i located the ballroom display. I left the Genesis room. I said what the heck noting the blue Ultra 7 was worth it.I magine my pleasant surprise that the Endeavor that had previously sounded horrible,was singing beautifuul music. I know not what ther had done but they has found the solution.
Fast Forward. Time was winding down and I was in search of the westminsyer m9noblckd. Imagine my anxiety when I discovered them connected to vr 55. No 3xcuses here
Horizon was the source
Again beautiful misic.there. Lief appeared and attempted to explain what caused the improved the sound. After our collective eyes begin to glass over he changed his tacti,c. He just undid all the changes. The bad music returned. Reinstall the changes.Voila! The beautiful music returned.
Congratulations.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I finally ran into Ron on Sunday. I as glad he was covering the show for WBF. That takes some of the pressure off me. His videos are very well done. I especially enjoy his interviews with designer/manufacturers
If there was some kind of award category he would be nominated.
Thanks Ron for coming all the way across the country at your expense. I hope the weather was not to much of a shock.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
That has GOT to be aggravating. ?All the expense to fly everything out, set everything up, only to have something unforeseen thwart your entire effort.

Tom
Luckily it was not his entire effort.
The smaller speaker was pretty good and. I hot to hear a well made tape.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
What I am really happy is about my pick of best in show speaker amp combo
It isxaxWearerjn Electric 300b integrated amp with phono. Yet thevspeaker is diminutive and full range. That includes active sub.

Hint. Room 601 CAF

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Mak no mistake. Ir you have the scrollable the get the vs ilta7/ vac statement/ horizon with maaterbuitl cable. If you prefer ss go westminster. But real world audiophiles have to consider other options. A lot of people canv50k on their credit card.

Reactions: gleeds

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Lief appeared and attempted to explain what caused the improved the sound. After our collective eyes begin to glass over he changed his tacti,c. He just undid all the changes. The bad music returned. Reinstall the changes.Voila! The beautiful music returned.
Okay @Damon Von Schweikert :) , could you or Leif explain what all you did, for those of us who weren’t there?

After you get back and get a chance to catch your breath, of course. ;)

Reactions: Gregadd

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Some notables
Vandersteen Quatro
Imagine if you sent the already excellent vandrsteens to a spa.
They came back slimmer,and better dressed. So much so I had to double check to make sure they were Vandersteen. more importantly the sound was lean and criisp. definitely worth an audition.
Audio zResearch 160m monoblock amplifiers reviewed by the absolute sound.
Very lovey indeed. It makes me happy AR was revived
. While they had a low profile. Not cheap but you know what is.
Vinnie/Rossi p
My previous description of these electronics by me may be in error. I came to this conclusion after talking to the rep.
There was no mistake about the sound
As beautiful as last year.
Ron posted a video of the preamp/stereo amp driving the yg acoustics.. I think I liked the integrated amp and minimonitor QLM better.
As always the Italians think whatever you do you have to look good doing it.

I am doing this off the top of my head.
To be continued.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
My pick of the shoe is actually reasonably obtainable. Forget what you have heard about 300B amps. Speakers don't have to be br large and cumbersome to have bass. I was i.pressed by the smoothness and effortlessness of the sound. 20231113_120528.jpg 20231113_120453.jpg

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Rons CAF impressions wer up on you tube.
Just two impressions.
I too was impressed by the Arion. They were being driven by ARC monoblocks IC.Corrext me if I am wrong.
I too was disappointed by Dartzeel
Luckily their reputation proceeds them.
One more point .the jury is still out on Westminster. Nothing wrong there. CONGRATULATION Ron. I already stated I loved the Magico /Gryphon combo.
Thanks Ron.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
beer

I am a big open baffle fan
Nola managles to make a model for almost any need or budget.
One of the biggest problems in shows is room interaction. This is especially true for dipoles
One way to deal with is to mount the speakers on the hypotension and have the listeners sit bobsled style.
Nola has gone all out
They rent a huge room and install the speakers in what is effectively free space. It might be overkill but it works. They consistently get a smooth sound year in and year out.
One of my favorit3e.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Musical Question..
An anonymous exhibitor stopped me in the hallway and posed the question, what music would I like to hear.
My first response was everyone wants to hear thier favorite record.
Given a four day weekend there I'd a lot of time to fill
. Rather than suggest a particular title I suggested an approach.
Bass sells. So you want something to showcase that.
Next non fatiguing highs and smooth midrange.
Spatial qualities and dynamics.3d.
What music do you listen when evaluating your equipment.
More difficult.
What plays in cDC might not cut it invztecas. So know your helps.
Of course the most frequent complaint is playing to loud

Last edited:

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
That has GOT to be aggravating. All the expense to fly everything out, set everything up, only to have something unforeseen thwart your entire effort.

Tom

Sigh! Mishaps happen. But it had to happen in the middle of a tape demo Myles was doing just when the crescendo of Hope by Hugh Masekela hit. On tape. With huge dynamics. The volume on the prototype preamp went to maximum. Not good.

Luckily, I had tweeter protection, and under-hung voice coils so the voice coil didn't bottom out. But the metal cones bent enough that I could hear the damage. Soundstage, the separation of images from the speakers, and all the magic of those speakers were lost.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Luckily it was not his entire effort.
The smaller speaker was pretty good and. I hot to hear a well made tape.

I don't know if you were there for this - when @stellavox brought in some of his wonderful music. (Sounds better on a cellphone)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing