Capitol AudioFest 2019

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
For me, one of the best sounds of the show (in the under $20K speaker arena) was the Von Schweikert Endeavor Special Editions (E SE). They were on static display on Friday and Saturday because Damon and Leif felt they were not sufficiently broken in, and because the large space being used for VSA, VAC, et. al. was not really suitable for speakers of this size. I asked and nudged, and early on Sunday before show start I walked in to see the E SEs set up between the massive Ultra 11s. I thought if they were going to be set up, it would have been where the E3 Mk2 was.

I asked Leif if they were ready. He said he thought they sounded okay. I took seat prime and Leif and Keith let me spend the next 45 minutes playing my own music and a couple of things by request that they had on vinyl. Even not fully broken in, to me they sounded glorious. It didn’t hurt they were being run by the same gear that was previously hooked up to the 11s - all ungodly amounts of money of it! o_O I had been ready to consider buying the E3 Mk2 after hearing them a few times, but had been told by Damon and Leif about their Special Editions and how pleased they were with them at the factory. I could not disagree - IMHO to me they sounded better than the E5, which I have heard many times. I liked them so much I bought them, even if they were Leif’s personal pair! Sorry Leif. :D I’ll have more to say about my history leading to this purchase in the VSA forum.

1CEF700A-2BF3-414A-BE98-7B35A0E38AFE.jpeg

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Egg on my face.:oops: The observant ones have noticed the Z10 is pictyred twice. Here is the Lampazar Amber 3 DAC. c6db56_074a43cf40ec4b09a3141cb719777001~mv2.jpg

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
For4.5k you can now get the Sandersound preamp made to the same exacting standards of everythimg else he does.
Preamp-black-front-1.jpg Preamp-back.jpg

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
GENISIS

Gary elected to bring the speaker speaker again this year. It washes room unlike year and no problems arose therefrom.
I am biased against class D amps. Gary did bring his own monoblocks. Merril audio. $22,000.
The sound was nevertheless pleasant and involving. If class D is your thing you should give thos a listen. It is definitely a neutral sound.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Stax headphones

I try to avoid unwarranted superlatives when describing what I hear
The Stax headphones were so natural it is difficult to consider them an audio reproduce tion device

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing