Gryphon Essence Stereo vs Antileon Evo Stereo vs CH Precision A1.5 to drive WA Sasha DAW

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Since the thread opened as "
Gryphon Essence Stereo vs Antileon Evo Stereo vs CH Precision A1.5 to drive WA Sasha DAW ”, disappointed not to have talked about Essence vs Antileon
I second that. I was also eager to hear about Essence vs Antileon comparison.
Nevertheless, thanks for sharing your experience.
I’m also considering CH or Gryphon with my Wilson Benesch (currently using a Luxman M900u).

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I am sorry for not auditioning Essence amp. Gryphon guys refused to give me both amps at the same time and then convinced me that Essence is a much lower amp in comparison to the others. And to be honest, I was so exhausted after several days of switching the amps and pres, that I decided to have a short break from auditioning. And now, since I am considering both Antileon and Mephisto, auditioning Essence does not make any sense.

Reactions: iaxel

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Gryphon guys refused to give me both amps at the same time and then convinced me that Essence is a much lower amp in comparison to the others.

This sounds a bit like the smaller amp is too good and could be dangerous to his bigger brothers :rolleyes:
At least that is my personal interpretation :p

Jpspock

Dec 26, 2018
Description of the gryphon is very similar to the Pass Xa and confirm what I have heard 2years ago

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
So, what is the difference between Antileon and Mephisto considering their use with WA speakers? I have read that Antileon is a better match for Magico and Mephisto - for WA.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
So, what is the difference between Antileon and Mephisto considering their use with WA speakers? I have read that Antileon is a better match for Magico and Mephisto - for WA.
A review on another site opines that the Essence amp's sound most resembles the Mephisto, but paired with the Essence pre, it takes on a warmer character... so the pre choice is critical. As to what goes best with Magico, which Magico (A, M or S series)? And what are user preferences?

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Essence monos paired with Aries Cerat Impera ll would be spectacular :p

Adrian Molina

Jul 9, 2016
I have no experience with Gryphon, but quite a lot with Pass Labs and Krell, currently I use a pair of Pass XA 160.8 with a pair of Wilson Sasha 2, and since I have them I have been wanting to try other brands, for me They are the most musical and dynamic amplifiers I've ever had. I highly recommend them, plus Pass Labs have the best technical and customer service of any brand, something that is very important at these values. that the better it is, the more music they deliver. I gave them the top-of-the-line Furutech Nanoflux plus FLUX 50, with a dedicated current line, with a Furutech GTX DR nano chip. I do not agree with the idea of mixing brands, for me the best synergy is always achieved by respecting the same manufacturer, since they think of the equipment as a unit. I put the Pass pre-stop on the XS and I am in heaven in terms of textures , details, mucicality, definition, and stereo image. Good luck with the choice

Reactions: Jpspock

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Hello everyone, I have a few questions about these amps and their possible use with the DAW. Please, share your experience or thoughts:)
  1. Will Essence Stereo have enough muscle to drive the DAW? It is not a very powerfull amp watt wise. My WA dealer aslo carries Pass Labs and he suggested at least Pass XA 160.8 amp to drive the speakers, especially if I listen at low volume levels. The Pass amp is 160W vs 50W in case of Essence.
  2. What is the house sound of Gryphon vs CH? I've read some coflicting opinions. Some people say CH is more neutral or cold sounding like Soulution or Audionet. Others say CH is very musical and tube like sounding and Gryphon is colder. What is the consensus here?
  3. Difference in sound between Essence and Antileon? I've seen one post that Essence is more neutral sounding and closer to Mephisto, and Antileon Evo is a little bit warmer sounding. Is that true?
Thanks in advance,
Aziz
FYI: https://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipment/wilson_audio_sasha_daw.htm

From the review:

"The other amp that proved spectacularly effective with the Sasha DAWs was the new Trilogy Audio 995R, a 50-watt hybrid (solid-state output), class-A monoblock. Its open clarity, transparency, focus and dynamic range are reminiscent of what made the original Krell KSA-50 so popular when it first appeared. Of course, back then nobody was proposing pairing the WATT/Puppy with the KSA-50, KMA-100s being the default choice. The massive acoustic space and towering dynamics generated by the Trilogy/DAW combination are yet another indication of just how the world according to the WATT/Puppy has changed. That change might have started with the Sasha 2, but the DAW has added serious impetus and momentum".

FYI:

Last edited:

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
I've readSome people say CH is more neutral or cold sounding like Soulution or Audionet.
Audionet is NOT cold sounding. At the least the Humboldt certainly isn’t. Now I think about it, the comparison with Soulution is actually an insult;). But a Soulution owner on the other hand may also be insulted being compared to Audionet:rolleyes::p. What a hobby hihi.

ICUToo

Sep 20, 2021
Audionet is NOT cold sounding. At the least the Humboldt certainly isn’t. Now I think about it, the comparison with Soulution is actually an insult;). But a Soulution owner on the other hand may also be insulted being compared to Audionet:rolleyes::p. What a hobby hihi.
Humboldt definitely ain't "cold sounding". Absolutely not! Not even vaguely cold- realistically lifelike in its neutrality, with a lovely palette of tone colours.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Who cares about Audionet if you have Gryphon? Just kidding:cool:

• Haha
Reactions: Rob181

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing