Harbeth Monitor 40.2

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
I really have no personal experience with audio rooms that large. But as long as you listen no more than 10 or 12 feet away, I imagine that the SLH5 would work there. Certainly the Monitor 40 series would. With any Harbeth speaker, room placement experimentation may be necessary to tame the midbass. More recent Harbeths are much superior in this respect to the original SLH5 or M40. In any case, be prepared to use electronic equalization to tame the midbass and perhaps correct issues around 1 kHz with any Harbeth speakers. I've always needed and used electronic EQ with my M40, M40.1, and M40.2 speakers, even after careful room placement.

Other speakers I have extended personal experience with which I think might work well in your large room are the Dutch & Dutch 8c and the Sanders 10e. There are threads in Tom's Corner about each of those. Both of those come with built-in electronic equalization capability and will certainly play loud enough without strain for a large room if you listen 10 to 12 feet away.

Mhswitzer

Aug 18, 2022
I really have no personal experience with audio rooms that large. But as long as you listen no more than 10 or 12 feet away, I imagine that the SLH5 would work there. Certainly the Monitor 40 series would. With any Harbeth speaker, room placement experimentation may be necessary to tame the midbass. More recent Harbeths are much superior in this respect to the original SLH5 or M40. In any case, be prepared to use electronic equalization to tame the midbass and perhaps correct issues around 1 kHz with any Harbeth speakers. I've always needed and used electronic EQ with my M40, M40.1, and M40.2 speakers, even after careful room placement.

Other speakers I have extended personal experience with which I think might work well in your large room are the Dutch & Dutch 8c and the Sanders 10e. There are threads in Tom's Corner about each of those. Both of those come with built-in electronic equalization capability and will certainly play loud enough without strain for a large room if you listen 10 to 12 feet away.
Thank you.

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
If you are interested in something that sounds like Harbeth and you like this sound, try to listen to Graham as well. They have the big LS5/8 as a 2-way, and a nearly as big LS5/5 as a 3-way model.
For some listener the Grahams are more dynamic, quick, detailed and airy.

Mhswitzer

Aug 18, 2022
If you are interested in something that sounds like Harbeth and you like this sound, try to listen to Graham as well. They have the big LS5/8 as a 2-way, and a nearly as big LS5/5 as a 3-way model.
For some listener the Grahams are more dynamic, quick, detailed and airy.
Thanks, I will.

Mhswitzer

Aug 18, 2022
Thanks, I will.
After doing some more research, I’m thinking that I might be interested in the Graham LS5/9 due to the distance I will be sitting from the speakers. While I have a very large living room, I will only be listening 6 to 8 feet away and don’t need to fill up the rest of the room So the Graham LS5/9 may well suffice (?) and the LS 5/8 and 5/5 may be too much. Thanks again.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Tom, congratulations on your Harbeth set-up!

I see a reviewers post in your future. You have a real talent for it:

Enjoy the music.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing