Has anyone heard the Devialet D-Premier Integrated Amp/DAC

gray

May 18, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
Just curious, How do you connect your minijack headphones to the Devialet output?

You will need to do a bit of re-configuration.
You need to use coax 1 and coax 2 re-configured as a pre-amp output.
You will need either a hybrid 2 x RCA to headphone socket cable or (as I have done) use a 2 x RCA socket to headphone socket adapter which I got from a local electronics supply store for AU$8, then use your own cables.
You also need to re-configure your remote so that the balance/tone/SAM button becomes a pre-out on/off button and don't forget to disable "mute" on the pre-out.
Then, when you want to listen to headphones, just switch on the pre-out and mute the speakers.
The downside to this is that you lose the balance/tone/SAM functionality unless you use a seperate SD card for those times that you want to use headphones.
Hope this helps.

agentsmith

Jul 23, 2012
You will need to do a bit of re-configuration.
You need to use coax 1 and coax 2 re-configured as a pre-amp output.
You will need either a hybrid 2 x RCA to headphone socket cable or (as I have done) use a 2 x RCA socket to headphone socket adapter which I got from a local electronics supply store for AU$8, then use your own cables.
You also need to re-configure your remote so that the balance/tone/SAM button becomes a pre-out on/off button and don't forget to disable "mute" on the pre-out.
Then, when you want to listen to headphones, just switch on the pre-out and mute the speakers.
The downside to this is that you lose the balance/tone/SAM functionality unless you use a seperate SD card for those times that you want to use headphones.
Hope this helps.

Thanks this helps a lot.

I will get me a cable first.

agentsmith

Jul 23, 2012
Sorry I forgot to ask. I do not recall the ability to re-configure the remote from the Configurator. Did I miss something?

gray

May 18, 2014
Sorry I forgot to ask. I do not recall the ability to re-configure the remote from the Configurator. Did I miss something?

So sorry,agent smith, I have mislead you. I was relying on memory - not such a good idea, in my case.

Firstly at the top of the configurator page is a tab "general settings" via which you can select remote for reconfiguration.
On button 3 select "preamplified output".

You need to use "Digital 1" and "Digital 2".
The default setting is "Digital Input (SPDIF) x 2".
Reconfigure this to "Pre-amplified Output (Stereo)".
This will bring up a new configurator box called "Pre-Out Settings".
At the bottom of this box untick "mute applies to this output".
Make sure that the setting at the very bottom "Volume Control" is set to "Variable". You would use the "Fixed" setting if you were connecting a headphone amp.

It sounds a lot more complicated trying to explain it than actually doing it. Another thing is that I am not sure if this is possible with a 120D as I have no experience with them and I know that they do have more limited connectivity.

Good luck and let me know how you get on.

Last edited:

agentsmith

Jul 23, 2012
So sorry,agent smith, I have mislead you. I was relying on memory - not such a good idea, in my case.

Firstly at the top of the configurator page is a tab "general settings" via which you can select remote for reconfiguration.
On button 3 select "preamplified output".

You need to use "Digital 1" and "Digital 2".
The default setting is "Digital Input (SPDIF) x 2".
Reconfigure this to "Pre-amplified Output (Stereo)".
This will bring up a new configurator box called "Pre-Out Settings".
At the bottom of this box untick "mute applies to this output".
Make sure that the setting at the very bottom "Volume Control" is set to "Variable". You would use the "Fixed" setting if you were connecting a headphone amp.

It sounds a lot more complicated trying to explain it than actually doing it. Another thing is that I am not sure if this is possible with a 120D as I have no experience with them and I know that they do have more limited connectivity.

Good luck and let me know how you get on.

Thank YOU Gray! I should be the one apologizing for using you as tech support.

Sounds simple enough. Now all I have to do is to wait for a cable.

Am I correct to assume I do not have to re-configure the Remote Control?

agentsmith

Jul 23, 2012
Sorry I am really thick.

I cannot seem to find an option to assign functions to specific button.

Thanks again for your advices.

gray

May 18, 2014
I cannot seem to find an option to assign functions to specific button.

Thanks again for your advices.

Go to the advanced configurator wizard.
Towards the top of the page is a tab in red "General Settings".
Click on it. And a box will appear. There are some options across the top. The 3rd option is remote.
Click on this and you are almost there.
Open the drop box under "Button 3" and from the list select "Preamplified Output".
Done.
Once you transfer this new configuration to your D, button 3 on the remote becomes a switch for PreOut ON / PreOut OFF and you lose the Balance and Tone controls as well as SAM on/off.
This is why I suggest that you create a separate configuration (on a separate SD card) for your headphone listening.

agentsmith

Jul 23, 2012
Go to the advanced configurator wizard.
Towards the top of the page is a tab in red "General Settings".
Click on it. And a box will appear. There are some options across the top. The 3rd option is remote.
Click on this and you are almost there.
Open the drop box under "Button 3" and from the list select "Preamplified Output".
Done.
Once you transfer this new configuration to your D, button 3 on the remote becomes a switch for PreOut ON / PreOut OFF and you lose the Balance and Tone controls as well as SAM on/off.
This is why I suggest that you create a separate configuration (on a separate SD card) for your headphone listening.

Wow thanks. I must have been blind. The Devialet is even more flexible than I thought.

agentsmith

Jul 23, 2012
Reporting to Gray re headphone output from the Devialet.

Everything worked perfectly as per you instruction. The sound coming out of it is absolutely glorious. Surprisingly the tonal quality is quite close to that coming out of my Living Voice speakers.

The headphones I am using are the Ultrasone Edition 8, which are not demanding in power. They comes alive with lots of details and solid bass. The other headphone amp I have been using is the Audioquest Dragonfly, which while good sounds hard and less detailed when compared to the Devialet pre-out.

I left the output level at 2 VRMS, not sure if it needs the extra power, it is plenty loud enough already.

Thanks Gray for opening a whole new experience for me.

The Devialet is truly a wonder machine.

For those who haven't tried headphones with the Devialet, I highly recommend you try it.

f1eng

Jul 24, 2014
Oxfordshire
Hi all.
Are there anyone who streams Spotify by the Apple TV vía AirPlay?
Are there any difference between that and the Air option?
What about the quality of the optical input of the Devialet?
I think that the Apple TV is the best convenience option.

I use an Astell & Kern 240 into the optical input. It plays any files and there can be no noise problem since there is no electrical link.
The optical inputs on the new units is down-specced from the D-Premier (from 24/192 to the more common 24/96). Luckily for me I had my 2 D-Premiers updated one at a time so as not to be amp-less and when I noticed 24/192 no longer played on the just updated 240 my other amp was in for update and they made sure it did work with 24/192.
Great service!
I have not tried my Apple TV

scb

Feb 4, 2014
I'm new to the Devialet world and just getting acquainted with all of the information out there

Should I get a new 120 or a used Premier?

Not sure of my speakers yet since I'm downsizing everything, but I doubt I'll need more than the power the 120 gives. But is the newer model "better?"

Thanks!

IanG-UK

Apr 11, 2011
I had a D-Premier (well two, I run them dual-mono) and had them converted to 250s (together now called the 800).

I cannot claim to hear any sonic difference between the two.

The 200 is effectively a 250 without the more expensive casework (which confers better heatsinking and so can be set to give a higher power output) and I think that the 200 is the one to go for on grounds of best value for money.

The 120 is very much pared back in terms of input and output facilities and flexibility - and also runs of just one amplification module whereas the 200 and the 250/D-Premier have three. The D-Premier is still fully supported and if I had to chose between a used D-Premier in perfect condition and a new 120 I would go for the former.

Devialet has now stopped the deal which allowed a D-Premier to be converted to a 250 at a favourable cost - though I am sure they still do it at a more commercial rate.

Be aware also that the D-Premier does not have dedicated Ethernet or USB inputs whereas the 120 does. I think the 250 has optical/toslink/hdmi digital inputs along with the AIR wifi facility (common to all Devialet units) which is Devialet's preferred method of digital transmission (if you can get a strong enough wifi signal).

I'm new to the Devialet world and just getting acquainted with all of the information out there

Not sure of my speakers yet since I'm downsizing everything, but I doubt I'll need more than the power the 120 gives. But is the newer model "better?"

Thanks!

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI

Thanks!

If you're looking into Devialet here's a good resource:

http://devialetchat.com/index.php

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing