Has anyone heard the Devialet D-Premier Integrated Amp/DAC

so which one did you prefer ?

Bernie,
There was no clear preference. The USB is much more detailed and focused, the AES/EBU using a CEC TL1X transport also sounded more veiled in the voices, but the transients were airy and fast, making the USB sound etched. We should remember that the USB cable and server were not optimized - take this opinion with many grains of salt.

Jupiter,
I knew that the Shunyata power cable was the wrong cable to use with the P10 - unfortunately due to the limitations of connectivity of the IEC power connect of the D240 I could not use other cables. This listening was very preliminary - it is why I listed all details, so people would know about the conditions and limitations.

Microstrip,
I did not mean the cable between P10 and Devialet. I wrote: P10´s power cord
:)

I can not confirm that at all. Maybe it depends on the speakers?! As I mentioned before, we tried several speaker cables from the cheapest ones up to self named top level cables costing hundreds of bucks per meter. We tested it with a Gauder Cassiano Diamant and found no mentionable varieties in sound quality at all.

Do we?!

What were the speaker cables you tried?

Microstrip,
I did not mean the cable between P10 and Devialet. I wrote: P10´s power cord
:)

Thanks. Yes, there were two poor choices, both were Shunyata's very old models, IMHO a bad match with the P10. It was what was available at the moment with C19 connectors ... :(

Last edited:
What were the speaker cables you tried?

For example:

- Ecoflex 10
- Gauder Clearwater RB 28
- Audioquest Castle Rock
- Audioservice Blank Kupferfolienkabel
- HMS Al Cinema
- HMS Concertato
- HMS Fortissimo
- WSS Gold Line LS2
- Wilbrand 8si

And some more...

Last edited:
Some of us know...
As I said: It might depend on the speakers one is using. We could not hear any differences in sound quality with the speaker cables we tested. Also none of us had the impression, that AIR sounds kind of dull at all :confused:

As I said: It might depend on the speakers one is using. We could not hear any differences in sound quality with the speaker cables we tested. Also none of us had the impression, that AIR sounds kind of dull at all :confused:

Nightmare, I wrote: in my case! relatively! dull (in comparison to Audioquests Diamond Ethernet cable).

gatomusik, can you please tell me the full 240 upgrade price in the U.S.? The upgrade program has just started here in Japan but the price is outrageous. It is JPY682,500 which is USD6,600 or Euro4,875. In terms Euro, the Japan price is 40% more expensive. I am wondering if the premium is also charged in the U.S.

gatomusik, can you please tell me the full 240 upgrade price in the U.S.? The upgrade program has just started here in Japan but the price is outrageous. It is JPY682,500 which is USD6,600 or Euro4,875. In terms Euro, the Japan price is 40% more expensive. I am wondering if the premium is also charged in the U.S.

The price, as quoted on the Devialet site that feeds the U.S. is $4795, which is a nearly accurate conversion of the EURO 3490 price also listed on the Devialet site. That's a massive up charge for the Japanese market!

The price, as quoted on the Devialet site that feeds the U.S. is $4795, which is a nearly accurate conversion of the EURO 3490 price also listed on the Devialet site. That's a massive up charge for the Japanese market!

Thanks, gatomusik. The Japan price is a rip-off. I had been very satisfied with Devialet for its product as well as its customer service but I lost my respect for the company with this stupid upgrade pricing for Japan.

One more question for you. There is a discount for Devialet 500 upgrade, i.e. Euro 5,900 for two D-Premiers compared with Euro 3,490 for one D-Premier. Are US customers eligible for the discount as well?

For example:

- Ecoflex 10
- Gauder Clearwater RB 28
- Audioquest Castle Rock
- Audioservice Blank Kupferfolienkabel
- HMS Al Cinema
- HMS Concertato
- HMS Fortissimo
- WSS Gold Line LS2
- Wilbrand 8si

And some more...

Thanks - unfortunately I never listened to them, I can not comment. Did you also try different power cords?

Nightmare, I wrote: in my case! relatively! dull (in comparison to Audioquests Diamond Ethernet cable).
Of course you did. And I wrote ´kind of dull´.

What is about the other ethernet cables, you have tested? All better than AIR or are there big differences so that you would prefere AIR instead of some of them? Instead of which of them? How long are your ethernet cables and how did you wire in detail? The ethernet cable connected to the Devialet is coming from where? Found an older posting from July last year, where you wrote
Jupiter said:
Audioquest Diamond Ethernet cables from Computer to Router and from Router to PowerLAN (before these terrible expensive Audioquests have tried "kilos" of different Ethernet cables)

Thanks - unfortunately I never listened to them, I can not comment. Did you also try different power cords?
No, not yet. The next thing I will try ist AIR (iTunes) vs USB (iTunes/Amarra). I do have another power cord here - maybe I will give it a try, also.

One more question for you. There is a discount for Devialet 500 upgrade, i.e. Euro 5,900 for two D-Premiers compared with Euro 3,490 for one D-Premier. Are US customers eligible for the discount as well?

The Devialet site quotes $8995 for the 500 upgrade in the U.S.

N.B.: You might inquire where the upgrade is being done. Will the units from Japan be returned to France, or has Devialet contracted with a national distributor, as in North America? That might be the source of additional cost for your area.

The Devialet site quotes $8995 for the 500 upgrade in the U.S.

N.B.: You might inquire where the upgrade is being done. Will the units from Japan be returned to France, or has Devialet contracted with a national distributor, as in North America? That might be the source of additional cost for your area.

Thanks again, gatomusik. So, the U.S. customers benefits from the 500 upgrade discount. The upgrade is being done in Japan at a Japan distributor site.

No. It is new one for me. I have been used Floor scale and some other general kinds of scales.
What is about bathroom scale???

Let me enlighten you:
The quote was comparing the Devialet to a scale (the ones where you stand on, hence placed on the floor) - something I always thought when seeing it: A design so sleek it is rather afraid to offend..

The quote then does the inverse conclusion, that you don't put the Devialet on the wall, as it looks much nicer on horizontal - dare stepping on it?

As you see, there is really nothing essential to get in above's quote, but then, what's live without fun. I apologise for any unwarranted dissection of fun though ;-)

Been experimenting recently with the phono settings and the analog input.
I was told to use the 96kHz as the 192kHz were introducing noise but I discovered that even introducing a bit of noise the sound at 192 is a lot better.
Wondering what other people are using and what are people experiences.

thanks

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing