Having trouble with Dante AVIO AES3/EBU Adapter and Foobar2000

claytonJ2

May 25, 2011
Bothell, WA
I'm trying to use a Dante to get ethernet to coax audio to supply a PCM signal to a DAC. I have a music server PC running Dante Virtual Sound card and Dante Controller. If I play a file in Foobar2000 that matches the bitrate I set the computer and the Dante receiver at, no problem. But if I play a file with a different bitrate, the transmitter (DVS) bitrate changes but the Dante receiver's bitrate does not automatically change. Also, the computer will go up to 24 / 192, but the Dante receiver only goes to 96. In foobar I added a dsp "resampler (PPHS)". It's set to convert everything to 96k. I play a variety of bitrates and formats. Problem solved? No, it only works for bitrates divisible by 48, not 44.1. For that, I need to change the bitrate of the PC, the Dante, and the resampler to 88.2. Why's this got to be such a pain? There's got to be an easier way.

Can the receiver be made to change it's format automatically? Can the computer be limited to go no higher than 96 and resample as needed? Or is there a different firmware for the Dante that will allow it to go up to 192? Or is there a smarter Dante receiver? Any solution needs to be on the lower end of the price spectrum, please.

claytonJ2

May 25, 2011
Bothell, WA
Got an answer from Audinate support:
"Hello Clayton,
If you want a device that will change the sample rate automatically, Focusrite is the only company I know that offers Sample Rate Follow. Their software allows you to setup a device to be the master sample rate, and all the other devices stay in line with that one.
Otherwise it is a manual change every time.
You can create a preset in Dante Controller to load for each one, but that's the only workaround we have. "

claytonJ2

May 25, 2011
Bothell, WA
I've set the bitrate to the max supported by the device, 96k, and left it there the past couple days. I was concerned about math errors with 44.1 (*2 = 88.2, not 96), but not sure I'm hearing it. I think it sounds better than USB. I'll feel more confident in making an assessment once I have some guests with better ears than mine to listen test. More later...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing