He spent his life building a $1 million stereo. The real cost was unfathomable

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
My late wife and I had a compromise. She was a pet lover. For every woofer I got she got one, dog. Ended up with 4 dogs 2 cats an iguana and a parrot! My kids loved the zoo and the music.

Rob :)

So the cats and dogs did not chase the iguana and the parrot?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
makes me think there might be a (small) market for a reality TV show based upon stuff audiophiles have told their spouses/SOs. Not sure what it should be called...
"The Show That Sadly Had No Viewers"

• Haha
Reactions: PYP

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
My 16 yr old son is into it. He listens with me often. He also wants a system of his own but then if you have the keys and are allowed to drive then you won't be rushing Dad for it. I told him that I have all the gear of both his grand dads. That's good ^%$# I curated both of them myself! LOL The funny part is that asked if he could get a commission should he be able to sell stuff to the Dads of his friends. Hahahaha. I don't think I have to worry about this guy ever going hungry. I of course said yes.

Only conditions I set are no girls with him in the basement lest Mom go ballistic and digital only for now.
Break him in gently. With great power comes great responsibility.

• Haha
Reactions: Johan K and PYP

John T

Feb 15, 2022
I would start with "DON"T GET CARRIED AWAY" with this obsession, or you will be ruined for life!

• Haha
Reactions: Johan K

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
My late wife and I had a compromise. She was a pet lover. For every woofer I got she got one, dog. Ended up with 4 dogs 2 cats an iguana and a parrot! My kids loved the zoo and the music.

@Robh3606 sounds wonderful. I understand woof-er = dog (woof woof). But not how the other equivalences worked. Cats = midrange (necessary but unpredictable); parrot = tweeter (but don't want one that squawks); iguana = crossover (something exotic but ultimately practical). But then the math doesn't work.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: jbrrp1

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
I find this article to be in extremely poor taste, especially being so 1-sided and so soon after the man's demise. It's a family's dirty laundry that didn't need public exposure. Sure, it looks like they had real issues - if the epicenter wasn't the damn stereo, it would have been something else.

Calling it a "cautionary tale" is so tacky. It's more like fodder for the usual rubber-neckers and high-end audio detractors. There's no lessons to be learned here. Live well and try to do better by loved ones? Was already aware of that one, thanks. Reality is always so much more complex than that.

Anyways, RIP Ken.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
@Robh3606 sounds wonderful. I understand woof-er = dog (woof woof). But not how the other equivalences worked. Cats = midrange (necessary but unpredictable); parrot = tweeter (but don't want one that squawks); iguana = crossover (something exotic but ultimately practical). But then the math doesn't work.
After 4 dogs time to mix things up!

Reactions: PYP

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing