Headshell and compliance

Jjarchive

Jan 16, 2022
I am looking for a headshell to use with a Schick 12" arm (effective mass of 11 gms) and a Dynavector XV-1s (12.6 gms). I was hoping to use the Schick headshell (15.6 gms) but am learning something lighter would be better. Is there an optimum range for headshell weight with this arm and cartridge? Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks,
Joe

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
If you have all of the above I would certainly try it.

For a light headshell one example is the Yamamoto boxwood one at ~8g.

Dropping 7g from the headshell will only raise your resonant frequency by about 1hz or so fyi...

Jjarchive

Jan 16, 2022
What about a headshell that is 10.5 g? Is there a recommended source to do these calculations and a source to better explain compliance, resonant frequencies, and related issues? From reading around, I'm starting to piece together a better understanding. I still don't have a sense how impactful a slightly heavier or lighter headshell would be.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com

I have heard lighter carts sound pretty good in a Schick. As always getting technical data is sometimes easier than knowing what it means practically.

You can also read up on the Kuzma Safir tonearm which has a huge effective mass, and follow the debate on its impact ( or lack thereof ).

Lynnot

Dec 30, 2022
Tremonia
Hi,

as far as headshells are concerned, there is two factors of importance:

1. Structural rigidity - very important
2. Weight (in relation to the resulting effective tonearm mass)

For instance, an Audio Technica LH11h headshell is leighter at 11 gram and very rigid. You will save 4 gram effective weight (just to give an example). Don't focus too much on the classical calculations based on static models. Reality is dynamic and all cartidges don't react alike.

Best regards, Tony

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Korf ceramic head shell is one I want to tryout...

Reactions: Lynnot

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
It’s good and good looking.

Reactions: Lynnot and Solypsa

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing