Hello From North Carolina

Abbinormal

Feb 15, 2020
Hi, my name is Rufus. One of the things instilled in me by my Father as I grew up in LA (Lower Alabama) was a love of music. In our home, it was rare not to have some form of music playing. While I was exposed to all types of music, I always seemed to spend most of my time listening to classical, opera and jazz. While my Father created the spark that grew into my love of classical music, a family friend was the one who fanned the flames into a roaring fire. Father Kelly was the Assistant Pastor at the Catholic Church that my family attended. Father Kelly was an audiophile whose passion for audio was insignificant compared to his love of music. His record collection was and still is the most impressive I have ever seen. The collection was started in the 1950's and had grown to exceed 12,000 albums by the time I met him in the early 1970's. The collection contained all of the audiophile greats such as Mercury Living Presence, RCA Living Stereo and Lyrita to name a few. You name it Father Kelly had it. I spent many hours at the church rectory listening for hours on end to all these great albums.

My knowledge of high-end audio started under Father Kelly but was expanded when I was in college at the University of Alabama. It all started when I dropped by the local audio store to buy some speakers to go with a receiver and turntable given to me by Father Kelly. During the course of my visits, the owner, John Curry and I developed a friendship. Mr. Curry had another passion besides audio and that was deer hunting. During deer season, the store would be closed on Saturday's, as Mr. Curry would be hunting. I worked out a deal where I would come in and run the store on Saturday's so he could hunt. Being located in a college town, Saturdays were usually quiet at the store, so I tended to spend the time studying (yeah right). Actually, what I spent most of my time doing was reading his collection of back issues of the The Absolute Sound and Stereophile.

After graduating from Alabama in 1982, I worked for a couple of years in Louisiana before returning to Dothan in 1986 to begin my banking career at SouthTrust Bank. Soon after returning to Dothan, I began building my first "high-end" system, which ended up consisting of a Seta Star Turntable, Premier FT-3 tonearm, Grado Signature 8 cartridge, conrad johnson PV-2a preamplifier, conrad johnson MV-45 amplifier and Thiel CS-1.2 loudspeakers. I have been in an upgrade mode ever since.

I have been reviewing audio equipment since 1994. I began my "career" under Tom Miiller at The Audio Adventure. After TAA folded, I joined the staff at Ultimate Audio and from there I went to enjoythemusic.com.

I currently live in Harrisburg, North Carolina with my wife Julie and our two very goofy Golden Retrievers, Mandi and Lizzy. In 2013, I retired from Wells Fargo, where I had worked for 27 years as a commercial banker.

In my avatar, I am the one on the right.

Last edited:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Of all the things instilled in me by my Father as I grew up in LA (Lower Alabama) was a love of music. In our home, it was rare not to have some form of music playing. While I was exposed to all types of music, I always seemed to spend most of my time listening to classical, opera and jazz. While my Father created the spark that grew into my love of classical music, a family friend was the one who fanned the flames into a roaring fire. Father Kelly was the Assistant Pastor at the Catholic Church that my family attended. Father Kelly was an audiophile whose passion for audio was insignificant compared to his love of music. His record collection was and still is the most impressive I have ever seen. The collection was started in the 1950's and had grown to exceed 12,000 albums by the time I met him in the early 1970's. The collection contained all of the audiophile greats such as Mercury Living Presence, RCA Living Stereo and Lyrita to name a few. You name it Father Kelly had it. I spent many hours at the church rectory listening for hours on end to all these great albums.

My knowledge of high-end audio started under Father Kelly but was expanded when I was in college at the University of Alabama. It all started when I dropped by the local audio store to buy some speakers to go with a receiver and turntable given to me by Father Kelly. During the course of my visits, the owner, John Curry and I developed a friendship. Mr. Curry had another passion besides audio and that was deer hunting. During deer season, the store would be closed on Saturday's, as Mr. Curry would be hunting. I worked out a deal where I would come in and run the store on Saturday's so he could hunt. Being located in a college town, Saturdays were usually quiet at the store, so I tended to spend the time studying (yeah right). Actually, what I spent most of my time doing was reading his collection of back issues of the The Absolute Sound and Stereophile.

After graduating from Alabama in 1982, I worked for a couple of years in Louisiana before returning to Dothan in 1986 to begin my banking career at SouthTrust Bank. Soon after returning to Dothan, I began building my first "high-end" system, which ended up consisting of a Seta Star Turntable, Premier FT-3 tonearm, Grado Signature 8 cartridge, conrad johnson PV-2a preamplifier, conrad johnson MV-45 amplifier and Thiel CS-1.2 loudspeakers. I have been in an upgrade mode ever since.

I have been reviewing audio equipment since 1994. I began my "career" under Tom Miiller at The Audio Adventure. After TAA folded, I joined the staff at Ultimate Audio and from there I went to enjoythemusic.com.

I currently live in Harrisburg, North Carolina with my wife Julie and our two very goofy Golden Retrievers, Mandi and Lizzy. In 2013, I retired from Wells Fargo, where I had worked for 27 years as a commercial banker.

Welcome, we got everything about your life story except your name:)! When I saw your moniker I thought that you were him but I doubt he's spent any time in church.

david

Abbinormal

Feb 15, 2020
Welcome, we got everything about your life story except your name:)! When I saw your moniker I thought that you were him but I doubt he's spent any time in church.

david

I did leave that part out. Thanks for pointing it out.

Reactions: Alrainbow

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing