Hello from Seattle

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
If Marslo has less space, the rest of us will have to do with these desktop Cessaro speakers, playing tidal through iPhone (the subs in the video are not playing)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

Anil Kalagatla

Mar 2, 2011
Shoreline, WA
Thanks Christoph, Jeffrey and Peter.

Christoph, those Universums (and their setting) sure look amazing and I would imagine they sound even better, based on your posts!

Peter: I know what you mean regarding the Vivas and female vocals. While waiting for my horns to arrive, I tried them (partly for fun) with the only other speakers I had in the house, a pair of KEF LS-50s. Even with that extremely lopsided matchup and their low efficiency, female vocals were quite wonderful. Of course, they are quite something on the horns.

Marslo: If I'm not mistaken, your set up has been featured in the customer gallery on Avantgarde website (and may be a few other places)? It's very nice!

Anil

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
We
Hello Anil. @Ovenmitt is using Duo with non-Avantgarde subs too. Superb sounding system. But he doen't do digital. While @marslo has a great sounding digital using Duo too. Info from the two would be great value and $ saving for you. They both are very kind. You just need to understand their preferences and musical priority to use them as data point.

Welcome Anil,

I love your speakers! I've been on the lookout for a nice gently used pair of Trio XD's for a long time. It looks like you've lucked out. I've been offline for a few days so I'm glad Tang hooked me into this thread. I'm real interested in following along with how things develop with your system, so I hope you keep us all posted.

FWIW, I do use the Duo's subs in my room, but their levels are turned very low. I "augment" with a pair of REL Studio 3's. I've tried other subs (REL G1) that were front firing but they sounded too slow. I'm not sure how things might turn out for you using the JL's that you have - they're certainly really good subs. Another thing that I found with my Duo's was that they benefited from a little extra juice. I had been using an Art Audio PX25 amp for a long time. It is a great amp but when I added the Nagra's the wick was lit. I'm not sure if any of this applies to your room or speakers, but it looks like you're well on your way to something special.

BTW - all of us horn guys on WBF secretly want to be Tang;)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF, Anil!

Reactions: Anil Kalagatla

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
BTW - all of us horn guys on WBF secretly want to be Tang;)

I thought all guys WBF or elsewhere wanted to be like Lagonda in his youth

Anil Kalagatla

Mar 2, 2011
Shoreline, WA
Thanks Ron and Ovemitt.

Regarding power, the Auroras seem to be decently matched with a high 28W (for a SET), though time will tell once they're fully broken in and I push them to play large scale orchestral music (which is one my main goals for this system once fully dialed in).

Anil

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks Ron and Ovemitt.

Regarding power, the Auroras seem to be decently matched with a high 28W (for a SET), though time will tell once they're fully broken in and I push them to play large scale orchestral music (which is one my main goals for this system once fully dialed in).

Anil

Aurora should be fine with trios

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Christoph, those Universums (and their setting) sure look amazing and I would imagine they sound even better, based on your posts!

Thanks Anil

My room is challenging in the bass department but in return it is almost mode free due to the enormous size (and especially room volume) and the "soft" boundaries (the wooden "open" roof and a LOT of glass (at least those windows are extremely heavy and triple glazed) :eek:) and also offers a huge and very open stage :D

The first time I saw trios in that color was in Munich and I completely fell in love with that color.
The exhibited model in Munich also featured a dark walnut wooden frame that matched like a dream :cool:

I know what you mean regarding the Vivas and female vocals. While waiting for my horns to arrive, I tried them (partly for fun) with the only other speakers I had in the house, a pair of KEF LS-50s. Even with that extremely lopsided matchup and their low efficiency, female vocals were quite wonderful. Of course, they are quite something on the horns.

That is also my experience.
Excellent electronic can make even modest speakers shine in a way almost unimaginable :eek:

Reactions: marslo

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Aurora should be fine with trios

Agreed.... I was mainly referring to the 6 watts that my Art Audio amps put out. The Aurora should shake the house.

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
Welcome :). I am also looking forward to some « horny talking». Your system is looking great and I love the color. The Viva amps are also great stuff.

JP

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
Love the Aurora with the Trios. I heard that pairing years ago and still smile thinking about it. Congrats.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Welcome Anil from another fellow Seattle area audiophile. Long time Maggie fanboy. I currently have a pair of Maggie 1.7i speakers in my second (or is it 3rd?) system.

Anil Kalagatla

Mar 2, 2011
Shoreline, WA
Thanks JP, Bruce and Bruce :) Yeah, it was certainly a tough choice to move on from the Maggies, they were quite amazing, especially for the price!

Christoph: interestingly, my main immediate problems are also having to deal with my largish room (38'x24'13.5'), with a somewhat audio-unfriendly set up (tall ceilings, glass doors on one side, though with bookshelves on the other - basically a great hall). Due to some poor planning and a mix-up with my furniture orders, the room is also somewhat empty, waiting for absorbers couches. I think my main problem is how to tame the rather large RT60 (well over a second around 1-2kHz). Once my furniture is here, my plan is to get the services of an acoustician to help treat the room - ideally someone with the sensibilities of an modern style interior decorator :)

@Mike Lavigne, do you have any recommendations in the Seattle area?

Here it is in all its empty glory (as you can tell, I have my priorities right :)):

Trio-front.jpg

Anil

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Recommendation is Mike Lavigne

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
first of all you have a special listening space to be in. awesome. if i started out with such a space i might not have ever considered building a dedicated room.

if you have furniture that you are committed to using in that room, i would wait until it's in the room, and then live with that for a while before you mess with it too much. and........you might find that the horns by themselves are fine in that room, but adding the subs, or even the matching bass horns, might not work as then there is more to go wrong.

you need to understand the room and live with it before you think about changing it.

as far as an acoustician in the Seattle area; Gary Koh (also WBF member) of Genesis Loudspeakers is likely the top guy and a very helpful and generous person. he is involved with the Seattle area audio club too. connect with him if you can.

that is my 2 cents.

enjoy.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Anil,

I think the dimensions of your space are absolutely fantastic! To me that is not "larg-ish"; that is wonderfully huge!

Why are using so far only the very front section of the room?

(I would pull those speakers 10 feet into the room to start with.)

Reactions: hogen

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing