Hello from Seattle

Anil Kalagatla

Mar 2, 2011
Shoreline, WA
All

I wanted to say hi and introduce myself as I've found myself spending a lot of time recently on this forum. After living with a fairly stable SS/Planar system for almost a decade (mostly consisting of various Magnepan/Pass systems in combination with Berkeley Audio Alpha) I very recently made a huge change and switched to a SET/horn combo, and am going through the fun experience of setting up my new system and looking forward to rediscovering my music through this system.

My system now consists of Auralic Aries -> Chord MScaler/DAVE -> Viva Aurora T 845 -> Avantgarde Trio XD/JL Audio Gotham v2. I know the last one is an odd combo :) I originally purchased a Duo XD, but ended up with Trio XD without any bass units (a barely used unit came up for sale and I could not resist trading up for it). For now I can only (barely) afford the Gothams, so I'm doing my best to integrate with them. In addition to setting these up properly, I'm currently looking to upgrade my streamer, as it's likely woefully out of place in this system :)

I must say I'm impressed by the members on this form, both in terms of the gear that people have as well as their passion and knowledge of the gear and (more importantly) the music. Even though I probably won't be able to contribute much in either of those categories, I'm looking forward to being on the forums and learning.

regards
Anil

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Welcome Anil. You will get a big upgrade if you get the trio bass horns later. And I think other Pass owners will be joining you in the move to horns

Reactions: Anil Kalagatla

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Hello Anil. @Ovenmitt is using Duo with non-Avantgarde subs too. Superb sounding system. But he doen't do digital. While @marslo has a great sounding digital using Duo too. Info from the two would be great value and $ saving for you. They both are very kind. You just need to understand their preferences and musical priority to use them as data point.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
welcome to WBF Anil, from a fellow Seattle area member. hope you are enjoying the clean air and the refreshing rain like i am.:cool:

but i don't have (and am not about to have) horn speakers. best wishes with your SET/Horn combo. sounds like you should be having great fun, and....you are! you will enjoy much 'horny' talk and support here.

congrats on a nice system.

Anil Kalagatla

Mar 2, 2011
Shoreline, WA
Thanks Folsom, Tango and Mike!

Tango: thanks for the pointers, I will use the Avantgarde thread to ask some questions and get insights from current owners.

Mike: I'm certainly enjoying the clean(er) air, though we're probably getting more rain than we needed to deal with smoke and fire :) Also excited after two weeks into the NFL season!

Anil

Reactions: Zarir

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Anil Kalagatla and please allow me to offer you a very warm welcome to the WBF! Glad to see that you finally got around to posting, instead of just reading. See ya' 'round campus!

Tom

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
All

I wanted to say hi and introduce myself as I've found myself spending a lot of time recently on this forum. After living with a fairly stable SS/Planar system for almost a decade (mostly consisting of various Magnepan/Pass systems in combination with Berkeley Audio Alpha) I very recently made a huge change and switched to a SET/horn combo, and am going through the fun experience of setting up my new system and looking forward to rediscovering my music through this system.

My system now consists of Auralic Aries -> Chord MScaler/DAVE -> Viva Aurora T 845 -> Avantgarde Trio XD/JL Audio Gotham v2. I know the last one is an odd combo :) I originally purchased a Duo XD, but ended up with Trio XD without any bass units (a barely used unit came up for sale and I could not resist trading up for it). For now I can only (barely) afford the Gothams, so I'm doing my best to integrate with them. In addition to setting these up properly, I'm currently looking to upgrade my streamer, as it's likely woefully out of place in this system :)

I must say I'm impressed by the members on this form, both in terms of the gear that people have as well as their passion and knowledge of the gear and (more importantly) the music. Even though I probably won't be able to contribute much in either of those categories, I'm looking forward to being on the forums and learning.

regards
Anil
Pictures or it’s not real . Welcome to the forum!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Yeah, I was a little skeptical and worried about the color, but once they were in the house, even my wife thinks they look great! If only I can somehow hide the Gothams :)

Anil

with your 'take charge' Lambo orange Trio's, the Gotham's are invisible. they blend. really. don't worry about it. looks like they belong right where they are to me.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Anil,
I am very interested in your experience about integration of Trios with Gothams, it could be for me a way to go.
I have no space for basshorns and small subs from AG did not impress me.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Anil,
I am very interested in your experience about integration of Trios with Gothams, it could be for a way to go.

You have loads and loads of space for any speaker :) . You can also build big horns firing over your lake and listen sitting on a boat in the middle

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
You have loads and loads of space for any speaker :) . You can also build big horns firing over your lake and listen sitting on a boat in the middle

Less is more , my friend ;)

In the middle of the lake there is a swan place, let's keep it as it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: the sound of Tao

Anil Kalagatla

Mar 2, 2011
Shoreline, WA
Anil,
I am very interested in your experience about integration of Trios with Gothams, it could be for a way to go.

I will do so. I'm a little surprised to hear that the short bass horns are not as impressive (I had also considered those as a possible option for the Trios). One interesting thing with the JL Audios: they have variable phase control, which in theory allows you to better control the group delay and match it with the horn speakers (I'm assuming by moving it to be 1 cycle behind). I say in theory, because they depend on me using my ears as the measurement instrument, not super reliable :) Not sure if the AG bass units provide this control as well.

Anil

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
I don't know either if there is a specific delay control for separate basshorns , the DSP software in my Duo Mezzo XD has the option for time delay setting but afaik is for the rooms above 100 sqm. My room is just around this limit.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Thanks Tom, much appreciated.

Jeffrey, here's a quick snapshot right after after I unpacked the horns and Gothams recently :) I have a lot of work to do before my final configuration (not to mention a pair of amp stands) and I will post better pictures after that.

Anil

View attachment 69619
I absolutely LOVE the color of your Trios :cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing