Hello from the beautiful city of Lindau in Germany

VinylSavor

May 15, 2018
Lindau, Germany
www.vinylsavor.com
Hi!

I noticed on your blog that the 10Y preamp can use the 801 tubes and/or the 1602 tubes also. Please could you perhaps describe how these alter presentation / sonic performance.

There is such a huge variety of different 10Y and 801A tubes, there is simply no characteristic which distinguishes them. The 1602 is so ultra rare (rarer than EC8020) it does not even make sense to think about it ;)

Since there is virtually no other commercial linestage on the market which uses thoriated tungsten filament directly heated tubes and this level of parts quality, transformer coupling and transformer volume control. The sound of this linestage was always a big step up in my customers systems. When I was faced with the question which tubes to use, I tell my customers to simply enjoy the linestage with the tubes they come with, and don't think about this. And that is what happens. My customers reach a point with this linestage which enables them to rediscover their music, and not to worry about another potential improvement. If they want to play, I recommend the new ELROG ER801A which keeps all the good qualities of the old production tubes with even added resolution and authority.

Sorry for the rant :oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Nascimento

Aug 12, 2016
Brasil
I'm new here, but I'd like to welcome you too!
The first time I heard an Elrog 211, it was remarkable, I soon hope to hear an ER300B, I hope the experience is the same!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey, what's not to like?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Reactions: christoph

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com
Hi Thomas, I'm still very much enjoying your Elrog 300B tubes in my SET :).

Mani.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Thomas, I'm still very much enjoying your Elrog 300B tubes in my SET :).

Mani.

You had his SET? When I visited? We could have put it on the Anima?

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com
You had his SET? When I visited? We could have put it on the Anima?

I have Elrog 300B tubes in my (Thoress) SET monos.

Mani.

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
@Thomas. I see you have been very busy building your four chasis these days. I like what you wrote here very much.

" Being a synaesthete, one of the most important aspects for me is tone color. Since I was a child tones and numbers always had colors for me. Whenever I hear a sound I see some colors in my mind. And I want my equipment to reproduce colors in all their richness. I often read somewhere that a system has pitch black and dry bass reproduction. This is not my goal. Bass never is black but always has some color from all tones of brown through shades of grey and midnight blue to almost (but never really reaching) black. Also for me bass is not supposed to be dry, I want my bass juicy and wet. Dry is boring. Also the background should never be pitch black. Good recordings can capture the ambience of the venue at which the performance took place and a good system can reproduce that. It gives a feeling of the air and space between the sounds..........

Over the years sound stage lost importance for me. I don’t even have to sit in the sweet spot to enjoy a system. Nevertheless I get excellent feedback for my amps and preamps for their ability to throw a spacious and realistic sound stage."

Especially the last paragraph is exactly how I feel.

Tang :)

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

kantx

Apr 29, 2018
Elsinore
Hello, Thomas, Since 2 or 3 years I'm following your products. I would love to find a way and listen to some of them. Cheers.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hello, Thomas, Since 2 or 3 years I'm following your products. I would love to find a way and listen to some of them. Cheers.
I almost don't dare to say it:
Thomas is about an hour away from me :D

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I almost don't dare to say it:
Thomas is about an hour away from me :D

Get Thomas to send you a 10Y and some differential 211s for the Uni, Chris :)

Reactions: christoph

VinylSavor

May 15, 2018
Lindau, Germany
www.vinylsavor.com
@kantx If visiting me in Lindau is not an option, I will exhibit at the Munich High End show again next year and also at the Hong Kong Hifi show. In Hong Kong thee is also a permanent showroom with some of my products. In March a partner of mine will open a showroom in Singapore.

@Audiophile Bill you keep mentioning 'differential 211'. I never built such an amp and have no intention to do so since the 211 is not well suited for that operation IMO. What you listened to are single ended amplifiers. They have balanced inputs since they use input transformers but the circuit is single ended.

Best regards

Thomas

kantx

Apr 29, 2018
Elsinore

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
@kantx If visiting me in Lindau is not an option, I will exhibit at the Munich High End show again next year and also at the Hong Kong Hifi show. In Hong Kong thee is also a permanent showroom with some of my products. In March a partner of mine will open a showroom in Singapore.

@Audiophile Bill you keep mentioning 'differential 211'. I never built such an amp and have no intention to do so since the 211 is not well suited for that operation IMO. What you listened to are single ended amplifiers. They have balanced inputs since they use input transformers but the circuit is single ended.

Best regards

Thomas

Apologies (again) Thomas. I will refer to it as the 4 chassis 211 instead. I have absorbed these definitions from other sources and they have stuck :rolleyes:.

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I am eyeing the 4 chassis 2a3 amp with 10y driver. I will be at Munich, will you bring one of these Thomas? I think they would be a great match for my 109db efficient horns. I don’t even drive the bass section with the set, it will only take care of 120hz and over.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing