HELP! TV died and it's time to buy a new one.

Angela

WBF Technical Expert
May 24, 2010
Conifer, Colorado
our TV just died (and no I didn't bust the lamp to get a new one for Christmas, although that is a good idea). We have, er, HAD a Samsung DLP that has been fairly unreliable. We've replaced the lamp twice, the color wheel once and it looks like the lamp has gone again. We are done dumping $100-$200 for repairs into this TV.

so now what? We are at 9,000' (I don't know if that makes a difference on what type to get).

We want something in the 36"-40" range and know little to nothing about plasmas, LCDs and LEDs regarding quality of image and reliability.

HELP! where to start?

thanks in advance,
Angela

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Plasmas can buzz at high elevations so I would rule them out.

I am a fan of the basic, CCFL backlit Samsung LCD, the C650 series. It is not as thin as the LED backlit units (about 3-4 inches thick). I imagine that is plenty thin relative to your rear projection TV.

LED sets are thin but can have a ton of artifacts including banding, uneven lighting, etc. The traditional CCFL units don't suffer from these problems and are much cheaper to boot.

See this 40 inch review: http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/samsung-lcd-tv/samsung-ln40c650.html

You can pick these up really cheap especially when on sale.

Angela

WBF Technical Expert
May 24, 2010
Conifer, Colorado
thanks, Amir. I was hoping you'd jump in. Judging from your other posts, this is definitely an area where you are an expert and I really appreciate the input. I'll check this one out. Everyone is putting stuff on sale now, so hoping for a good price. I just realized how blind I am as I have moved the 27" LCD from the bedroom out to the living room and I can't see a bloody thing!

Angela

WBF Technical Expert
May 24, 2010
Conifer, Colorado

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Have you considered a Sony Bravia 3D?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
what do you think about these two and what is the difference for the cost difference?

[FONT=&quot]Samsung LN40 C650[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN40C...UTF8&coliid=I1Y4F95FVOXMR9&colid=ZCFXG3O6A2G2[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Samsung UN40 B7000[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN40B...UTF8&coliid=I3DDZZ81GRU56K&colid=ZCFXG3O6A2G2[/FONT]
Definitely the C650. The B7000 is liable to have poor viewing angle, non-uniformity (some parts of the image brighter than the other). Take that extra $300 and buy 15 movies with it and you will definitely be far happier with the C650 :).

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Hey Greg
We are not really interested in 3d, so we don't need to spend the extra money on it. have you tried a 3d yet?

Only at the store.You need three d glasses. It is the future of tv.

Angela

WBF Technical Expert
May 24, 2010
Conifer, Colorado
in my previous life, I was a photogrammetrist. Photogrammetry is about making maps from aerial photographs that are viewed in stereo (or 3D). I learned "back in the day" with the giant analog Stereoplanigraphs. This picture is a Zeiss Stereoplanigraph C4- Stereoplotter
ZeissC4..jpg

You could see in stereo because of two images viewed through the optics. These were aerial photographs that were like "negatives" but were positives printed on film for the light to shine through. You needed two photos with about 55-60% overlap taken from airplane and in that overlap, you could see in stereo, thus elevations, so you could scale and level the "model" to create accurate maps including topography.
Flight_plan_sm..jpg

around the same time, there was the Kelsh

kelsh..jpg

to see in stereo, you could do this one of two ways - original way was to wear red and blue glasses and the two images being projected down were viewed in stereo and then there was a spinning interface that sat in between you and where the image was projected. by viewing through this, the two images were being shown alternately and you could see stereo. It looked like a can on its side with rotating metal pieces inside that "opened and closed " the area where one image was and alternately on the other image. Very crude, but it was nice to not have to wear the glasses. You hung your head down over the area where the image was projected and "traced" the images onto the Mylar drawing surface below. Note: My hair used to get caught in it all the time and stop the spinning.

Then we moved into the digital age - still viewing two images through optics
c100..jpg

and the technology has marched on and on...

WHAT IS MY POINT? (you ask)
the point to this history lesson is this:

This is 2010, sitting and viewing TV with red/blue glasses is about 70 year old technology and I just can't see paying the HUGE bucks they want for this silly technology.

viewing in 3D is all about viewing the same image from two slightly different angles, doing this with "moving pictures" and not stills as we did in mapping has to have massive files to do so. BUT, I would still think that the images could be processed inside the TV or better yet from the origin as rapidly shifting images to see 3D without glasses. This technology has been around for 40-50 years.

I think the "technology" is way too new to spend money on it. I give it another 5 years for them to bring this up into the 21st century, THEN, for me anyway, it MAY be interesting to look into.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The wealth of personal experience for the members of this forum never ceases to amaze me.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Indeed. Angela, the 3-D systems use polarization. The glasses have active shutters in them which is sync'ed up with the TV. The TV plays twice as many frames, half or the left eye and half for the right eye. By switching polarization in the glasses, each eye sees the signal destined for it. Here is more detail on it: http://www.madronadigital.com/Library/3DVideo.html

That said, I am not a fan of 3-D. I like to multi-task and can't do that wearing glasses. I also don't like the video degradation that comes with it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing