Help with floor bounce diffuser

MTB Vince

May 11, 2019
Dundas, ON Canada
Or just put a rug on the floor and eliminate any floor reflections. :)
Even a thick loosely woven rug with a thick wool felt underpad is only going to effectively absorb high frequencies as the rug and underpad combined won't be significantly thicker than an inch. You want a 4-6" depth of fibrous broadband absorption or a diffusor effective down to 200Hz or so to fully knock down a primary reflection- regardless of whether it's wall, ceiling, or floor based.

ths61

Oct 18, 2012
USA
For those that are interested, here is the patent for the Acoustic Grove System products (AGS).

AGS Patent

This DIY link indicates that the Sylvain product uses a combination of 32, 45, and 60 mm diameter dowels (which is very close to the OD of 1" (33.4mm), 1.25" (42.16mm) and 2" (60.32mm) Schedule 40 PVC pipe).

DIY Link

Here is DIY build link.

DIY Build Link

Last edited:
Reactions: analogsa

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
FYI - the AGS devices are in use at Divin Lab. What is surprising to me is the comment on the floor diffuser's impact on bass frequencies:

".....Before the AGS, bass standing waves were primarily tackled by PSI active bass traps which are effective at the corners of the room. When the AGS is put into action, I had to switch off (retire) 6 PSI completely because standing waves of bass are attenuated immediately by the FL-1 placed in front of the 18”bass driver of Divin Majestic, thereby lessening the needs for absorption. (I still retain two PSI at the back of Goebel on both channels.) When the pair of FL-1 are taken away, the clarity of the orchestra collapses and transient responses of bass instruments constipated. Resorting to PSI restores clarity at the expense of free-flowing of energy. Liveliness of music is compromised in general. This is not a small feat because long standing waves of bass are difficult to deal with. The FL-1 is magical and indispensable for serious listener. In fact, bass management has become much easier than anytime ever before....".

• Wow
Reactions: marmota

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
The demo in Divin Lab of Audioexotics HK in June 2022.
I was there.

IMG_20220803_232051.jpg

Reactions: Cellcbern

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Was what you heard consistent with the Audio Exotics comments?

Do you have any idea if these floor units would lose their effectiveness in a small listening room (only 5 meters deep by 2.8 meters wide)?
These floor diffusors were part of an ABA test that included the Wellfloat Babel:

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
FYI - the AGS devices are in use at Divin Lab. What is surprising to me is the comment on the floor diffuser's impact on bass frequencies:

".....Before the AGS, bass standing waves were primarily tackled by PSI active bass traps which are effective at the corners of the room. When the AGS is put into action, I had to switch off (retire) 6 PSI completely because standing waves of bass are attenuated immediately by the FL-1 placed in front of the 18”bass driver of Divin Majestic, thereby lessening the needs for absorption. (I still retain two PSI at the back of Goebel on both channels.) When the pair of FL-1 are taken away, the clarity of the orchestra collapses and transient responses of bass instruments constipated. Resorting to PSI restores clarity at the expense of free-flowing of energy. Liveliness of music is compromised in general. This is not a small feat because long standing waves of bass are difficult to deal with. The FL-1 is magical and indispensable for serious listener. In fact, bass management has become much easier than anytime ever before....".
Interesting stuff - it isn't just these three small standalone diffusors - whole recording studios and listening rooms are done with these devices:

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
Not floor diffuser, but I am getting a pair of FS1 for the first reflection points.
Also own a pair of SMT S wings. Will be interesting to compare both

Reactions: Cellcbern

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Hello everyone. I am hoping to leverage the collective knowledge of the group. I have seen the floor diffuser shown in the attached picture in several system setup picture but I don't knw who makes it or how to obtain it. I guess I could build it but would rather not.

Does anyone know where to get this?

Thanks,
Todd
I looked into importing and distributing these products around 3 years ago. They were really not ready for such a thing and the prices by the time I got them here and would have to resell them did not make sense to me. Today it would be worse. Imported room treatments are really difficult to get to market at affordable or even reasonable prices sadly. I have and use Art Novion and its really hard to get what you want it any reasonable time frame and prices are increasing.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Just caught this thread. If anyone can answer, would the alternative of a wooden quadratic diffuser sitting on the floor in the same position as this AGS FL-1, do a similarly effective job?
Or is there something unique in this particular design that makes it superior?

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Just caught this thread. If anyone can answer, would the alternative of a wooden quadratic diffuser sitting on the floor in the same position as this AGS FL-1, do a similarly effective job?
Or is there something unique in this particular design that makes it superior?
Haven't heard the AGS devices but I wouldn't expect them to perform similarly to a conventional quadratic diffuser with regard to floor bounce because:

A quadratic diffuser is 1) flat, 2) solid with no penetration of air/sound, and 3) narrowly tailored for a specific frequency range based on mathematical formulas.

The AGS products on the other hand 1) are made up of cylindrical rods (of different sizes in a specific pattern) which should have broader dispersion patterns than flat rectangular surfaces, 2) allow air/sound to penetrate to the floor/wall and bounce back into/through the device, and 3) are broad band - acting on all frequencies.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Why would you want sound to penetrate to get to the floor?

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Why would you want sound to penetrate to get to the floor?
I don't know. I was describing the visual differences between the two. Conventional quadratic diffusers work on mid to upper frequencies and are targeted to specific frequency ranges by varying relative well depth based on math. If you look at the AGS photos at Audio Exotics they are used on the floor in front of very large woofers, behind speakers, and at side wall first reflection points. No reason you shouldn't try a quadratic (or an absorber?) on the floor in front of your speakers. But looking at the design differences between AGS and a quadratic diffuser I would not expect them to perform similarly.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm getting my head around this. Because of course the vast majority of wall panels are indeed solid, unlike these. Makes these outliers, somewhat.
So if all my room treatments don't "allow" sound thru to walls and eaves, why would this be the choice for the floor treatment?
With the help of my trusty contact on WBF, will come up with an alternative.
At £1k per spkr for simple slatted wood, there must be cheaper alternatives.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
I'm getting my head around this. Because of course the vast majority of wall panels are indeed solid, unlike these. Makes these outliers, somewhat.
So if all my room treatments don't "allow" sound thru to walls and eaves, why would this be the choice for the floor treatment?
AGS diffusers are a very different design from "the vast majority of wall panels" (as are the DHDI "Zero Reflecton" panels I use). So I'm not sure what the basis for comparison with conventional diffusers would be. The ZR panels may work for floor bounce since they are full range like the AGS diffusers. I may try that when I have more disposable income. Don't know what else you can do except try different types of panels/devices on the floor. I am currently testing absorbers on the floor in front of my speakers and also plan to try a grid of ASI Sugar Cubes there since they work well on the ceiling.

FYI: https://www.noe.co.jp/en/download/pdf/AGS-English.pdf

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
There is a similar Japanese product called Floor Base, made by Escart :

16839073278544354732098588306584.jpg

No direct comparison with AGS performed but my gut feeling is that the latter is superior.

JNHaut

Apr 6, 2018
It's from Acoustic Grove System, "AGS".
Product name is "AGS-FL1"

Where to buy it...good question, Japan aside, Subbase distributes AGS in Europe. I don't know if AGS has US distributors.

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated to AGS, I'm just interested in the products too, which I think are very interesting.
I have been in touch with Nihon Onkyo Engineering and they told me that Axiss Audio USA distributes AGS in the US.

Reactions: Kvali1

Kvali1

Dec 24, 2023
New York
I have been in touch with Nihon Onkyo Engineering and they told me that Axiss Audio USA distributes AGS in the US.
Hi! (I’m new to this group) ; Yes , I emailed Axiss and also Bek Hifi in PA as the Axiss website says Bek carries NOE products .. I’m waiting to hear back .. Im
Interested in the floor bounce diffusers as well. I read through the chain, has anyone in the US bought any of these ?
thank you .
Edit: Bek Hifi owner called me ! Super nice guy, they do carry AGS ! He will be sending me more info! I will look into the towers and the floor diffuser.

JNHaut

Apr 6, 2018
I spoke with the owner at Bek Hifi as well and was favorably impressed. There is a guy on YouTube (Sky Nguyen) who appears to live in the Midwest (according to his FB page) and some of his videos show floor diffusers. You might want to reach out to him.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing