Hi from Yunnan/China and California

MasonGui

Jan 25, 2022
Hi everyone, this is the first time I post on this Forum. This forum helped me a lot during my journey of the HIF I always looking other members reviews and thoughts on gears. Since I will spend more time in California and build my second system here in US, I decided to share or do some recaps on my system or HiFi journey in mainland China. I bit of personal back ground about HIFI, I spend most of my childhood in audio store which my father owned, he carry of Some HIFI brand (form I can remember such as Music Fidelity/ Kimber cable/ SONY/JBL/Pioneer………)ins my small home town city. but the during the late 90s the economy and the home audio market downsize our family closed the store moved into others things. But I have been always love the HIFI and the music until today LOL. I spend most of my HIFI time on in ears and headphones during my school years. Some of them i still own today such as TF10/ IE8/ HD600/ HD800/ Ab1266/STAX 007. After I got my apartments, I find out i have a Roon about 2.8m X 4.3m can be set up as my audio room. I got a book shelf speaker setup as my first speaker system. I played a lot of book shelf in that roon start with a used dynaudio DM 2/8 with some DIY tube integrated IMG_0383.jpeg and later on moved to a dynaudio contour 1.4 LE drive with the McIntosh, my journey with dynaudio end with the dynaudio confidence c1 platinum IMG_0736.jpeg . For two-way book shelf they sound amazing but in deep my heart I always wanted to try the three-way big book shelf or floorstanding speakers. So I tried the MBL 126 but i think the McIntosh AMP are not work will with the MBL126. And during that time I am tired of speaker-amp matching “Game” so I went a different route end up with a MSB DAC link to a Quest v3110 which is a active Pro-Speaker. IMG_1609.jpeg After I spend a year on this set up I started to listen a lot of classical music and I also went to a lot live concert. I find out the “limits“ on my Pro-Speaker set up for pop/ jazz/vocal music the v3110 did great job. But for classical music it is lacking the base/treble extensions and the harmonics of real instrument. Luckily during a business trip to Shanghai I visited a lot audio stores I auditioned the TAD ME-1 speaker. I am amazed how good it is for a little three way book shelf. IMG_9121.jpeg So it all begins ………..I moved to large roon IMG_9133.jpeg It is about 3.8m X 9m Very large, And I just went cray-cray about TAD speakers because I lIke the super transparent sound they offer me. So I started to move up the line bought the CR1MK2/CR1TX end up with the R1TX. IMG_9469.jpeg IMG_9682.jpeg IMG_7057.jpeg
I think I will talk about this “TAD madness “ of journey under the TAD section. And I had up loaded some video about my system on YouTube
Last, I just want to thanks everyone on the forum, you guys helped me a lot in my journe. Ps. The system in CA will be build up on a von schweikert VR55MK2 (just ordered it thought my local dealer will show up within 3 months) another very good speaker I will talk about later.

Attachments

• IMG_1609.jpeg
    IMG_1609.jpeg
    477.6 KB · Views: 10

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
What a great story! Congrats. Have been to Pioneer Plaza in Tokyo to hear the full TAD setup with the then President of TAD. Very generous, mild mannered professional. Clearly passionate about great sound.

What amps are you using to drive your TAD Ref Ones?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Just checked your profile...Audionet! Very nice from everything I have read. Enjoy!

MasonGui

Jan 25, 2022
Just checked your profile...Audionet! Very nice from everything I have read. Enjoy!
yep they are very decent amp without breaking the bank and I used 4 of them to drive the r1.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Fantastic...I know one of the dealers here who is super enthusiastic about them. enjoy!

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Congratulations on reaching the place of your current system , I enjoyed reading about your journey :)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF, MasonGui! Thank you for telling us and for showing us about your audio journey!

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Really cool and nicely documented story about the journey!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
excellent work

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing