Hitachi ht-2

Nuthin'_Fancy

Nov 22, 2023
Lawson Missouri
Hello all, I've recently started a vinyl collection and acquired a Hitachi ht-2 turntable. I've been reading that you can change out cartridges and tone arms? Can you do this with all turntables? Why would you do this? Any and all advice, tips and tricks would be very much appreciated. I have many more questions for those who care to share knowledge. Thank you in advance!!

bkatbamna

May 6, 2022
That is a P-Mount cartridge turntable. You cannot change out the tonearm but it is very easy to change the cartridge. New P-mount cartridges are available but they pretty much use a conical stylus shape instead of an elliptical shape.
The best bang for the buck would be using a Technics P-22, or P-23, or P-24 cartridge and an EVG Nude elliptical stylus on it(there are no original styli available for them).
The EVG is available here:
PM me if you need more help.

Reactions: Nuthin'_Fancy

Nuthin'_Fancy

Nov 22, 2023
Lawson Missouri
That is a P-Mount cartridge turntable. You cannot change out the tonearm but it is very easy to change the cartridge. New P-mount cartridges are available but they pretty much use a conical stylus shape instead of an elliptical shape.
The best bang for the buck would be using a Technics P-22, or P-23, or P-24 cartridge and an EVG Nude elliptical stylus on it(there are no original styli available for them).
The EVG is available here:
PM me if you need more help.
Thank you very much for the reply and information! Unfortunately after ordering a new stylus, setting it all up and trying to listen to my Nuthin' Fancy record, the sound coming from the turntable is completely muffled and in and out. I have no idea yet what the problem is, also, the tracking is terrible! I'm seriously considering purchasing a Fluance RT81 and I honestly don't know if the Hitachi is worth fixing.

bkatbamna

May 6, 2022
The P-mount system pretty much standardized tracking weight to 1.25 grams. The Hitachi HT-2 is a solid turntable, don't throw it out just yet. Post pictures on this thread. If sound is going in and out, then spray some de-oxit on the ends of the rca cables or just turn them around while plugged in. The captive RCA cables are old and may be oxidized therefore not making a good connection.

Nuthin'_Fancy

Nov 22, 2023
Lawson Missouri
The P-mount system pretty much standardized tracking weight to 1.25 grams. The Hitachi HT-2 is a solid turntable, don't throw it out just yet. Post pictures on this thread. If sound is going in and out, then spray some de-oxit on the ends of the rca cables or just turn them around while plugged in. The captive RCA cables are old and may be oxidized therefore not making a good connection.
Hey, thank you for the information. I've been messing with it and the sound problem was a mixture of 2 things, the RCA ends were one problem, I fixed that, I didn't realize that this turntable had a ground wire, I hooked it up in the appropriate place. The other problem, it seems to me that the tone arm does not have enough weight and therefore is skating very easily and very fuzzy sound unless I put a little weight on it (a couple nickels) it seems to straighten right up when I do that. There doesn't seem to be any way to adjust the counter weight on this turntable. Any suggestions? Thank you very much, I cannot find very much information at all on this particular unit.

Nuthin'_Fancy

Nov 22, 2023
Lawson Missouri
Here are some pictures. I had the screw out on the cartridge on purpose.

Attachments

• IMG_20231125_123941054.jpg
    IMG_20231125_123941054.jpg
    617.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20231125_123902472.jpg
    IMG_20231125_123902472.jpg
    537.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20231125_123915164.jpg
    IMG_20231125_123915164.jpg
    492.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20231125_123927726.jpg
    IMG_20231125_123927726.jpg
    504.4 KB · Views: 8

bkatbamna

May 6, 2022
First, tighten the screw that is sticking out in the third picture(why did you have to loosen it). Also, set anti-skating(the dial) so the mark lines up with 1.25 grams.

I don't see a manual for this particular turntable on vinylengine. Also, this is a dumb question but is the Up/Down switch all the way on the bottom right in the down position(just checking).

Last edited:

bkatbamna

May 6, 2022
Based on the above video, there doesn't appear to be any adjustment for the tracking weight as you said. Every P-mount cartridge is standardized so the tracking weight should be 1.25 regardless of the cartridge. Strange that it doesn't work for you.
OK I found some pictures on ebay, you don't have to post.

Last edited:

Nuthin'_Fancy

Nov 22, 2023
Lawson Missouri
First, tighten the screw that is sticking out in the third picture(why did you have to loosen it). Also, set anti-skating(the dial) so the mark lines up with 1.25 grams.

I don't see a manual for this particular turntable on vinylengine. Also, this is a dumb question but is the Up/Down switch all the way on the bottom right in the down position(just checking).
I'll get some better pictures soon, I'm out and about right now running some errands. I checked that video out already and it doesn't mention really anything about tone arm adjustments. I didn't see anything on the back of the tone arm that looked adjustable, but I really do not know my way around turntables. This definitely is a new thing for me. But I do know enough to not mess with it too deeply without some kind of practical knowledge.

Oh, I had the screw out because I just replaced the stylus and wanted to make sure I had it all together correctly. Just troubleshooting I guess lol

bkatbamna

May 6, 2022
It may work properly after you tighten the screw. If it doesn't not sure what to do without having the TT in front of me.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing