House Of The Dragon-Prequel to Game Of Thrones

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
AS promised HBO has begun the release of one of several GOT prequels. The one which started last night and streaming free via HBO Max is called House Of The Dragon and started with a roar. Daeny's great great grandmother some 172 years prior to Daeny's birth is given heir to the throne, the first woman to sit on the Iron throne. The young woman who plays the great great grandmother is a spitting image, Dragons abounded and the CGI was terrific. Definitely hooked my wife and I but sadly inly one episode per week

A big thumb's up,

Reactions: gds7368

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
AS promised HBO has begun the release of one of several GOT prequels. The one which started last night and streaming free via HBO Max is called House Of The Dragon and started with a roar. Daeny's great great grandmother some 172 years prior to Daeny's birth is given heir to the throne, the first woman to sit on the Iron throne. The young woman who plays the great great grandmother is a spitting image, Dragons abounded and the CGI was terrific. Definitely hooked my wife and I but sadly inly one episode per week

A big thumb's up,

Haven’t had a chance to watch it yet but definitely at the top of my want to watch list!

david

Steve Williams

We tried to watch the episode on Sunday night release however the entire world must have been watching as the servers crashed. We managed to see it last night however once again the servers were overloaded and we experienced delays almost every minute as the caching process had ground to a halt. If there was any good to this it allowed my wife and I to discuss what we had just seen. This series looks really good. Episode one laid much of the groundwork as to who the King's heir would be and where the King's brother would stand through it all

Reactions: ddk

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
Fabulous show. They really covered a lot of ground and ended by setting up this season. Love it!

Reactions: Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Episode two last night pretty much laid the foundation for the balance of this series. Non of the violence and bloodshed as in Episode one. Daemon, the kings brother has his own aspirations whilst his daughter who was named heir to the Iron Throne has aspirations of her own. The king named his new wife and catches everyone by surprise Including his daughter.

This has the makings of a great series with more spin offs to follow

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
It clearly painted the picture of a woman in Westeros having the primary role to create heirs… Certainly has created levels of conflict and complexity which will no doubt play out further.

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
Agree, the 1st 2 episodes were nicely crafted to setup an intriguing series

Steve Williams

It clearly painted the picture of a woman in Westeros having the primary role to create heirs… Certainly has created levels of conflict and complexity which will no doubt play out further.
Sort of like "my dragon is bigger than yours!"

Reactions: Macattack

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
Meh, was a a huge fan of Game of Thrones but this seems to evolve more into a soap opera with the occasioneel dragon thrown in than anything else…

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
HOD is a dud. Moving on…

Steve Williams

Meh, was a a huge fan of Game of Thrones but this seems to evolve more into a soap opera with the occasioneel dragon thrown in than anything else…
HOD is a dud. Moving on…
I totally agree. I told my wife after the past episode the it is becoming a soap opera as it attempts to fill in the history

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
I'm still watching, though tend to agree with you on its present state. It takes a back seat on Sunday nights however to Power Book 3 Kanan on Starz; and City on the Hill on Showtime; watch HOD on Monday night

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
I told my wife after the past episode the it is becoming a soap opera as it attempts to fill in the history
Exactly. I told my wife HOD is one step from being a show on The CW.

Whereas GOT assumed their audience was smart and could decipher subtext, HOD tells you what's going to happen, then it shows you what it told you would happen, then it recaps what happened. Example...Rhaenyra and Laenor walking and discussing their future as a married couple. Using Ducks and Geese (and grease) as a metaphor for heterosexual and gay sexual preferences.

A smart audience gets the subtext. It's not a complicated metaphor. Yet, less than ten minutes later, HOD has a scene with Laenor and his lover kissing for those who couldn't understand the Ducks and Geese reference. I don't think GOT would have been so obvious...although there'd have been a "love scene" eventually.

Mostly, HOD is just boring.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing