How long do cables take to break-in?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I am trying a new IC and have around 50 hours so far. I was thinking 100 hours max?

I am a bit skeptical on cable break-in, but 100 hours isn't a big deal.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Difficult question to answer - as I am an impatient audiophile I burn-in cables with the Purist Audio System Enhancer Ultimate CD for about three-four days if they are new.

Reactions: Emorante

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
The answer will rather depend on the metallurgy / type of dielectric and how they gel with your system and tastes. It is however a pivotal moment when you stop listening out for the cable / component and start relaxing with the music. 100-200 hours should put one into that zone. This is easier to achieve with power cord / digital cables / interconnects where you can leave gear on repeat without bothering other people than it is with speaker cables.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . .

I am a bit skeptical on cable break-in . . .

+1

How can we be certain that what's going on is cable break-in and not ear break-in (i.e., our ears' acclimation to, and increasing comfort with, a slightly different sound)?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) This is easier to achieve with power cord / digital cables / interconnects where you can leave gear on repeat without bothering other people than it is with speaker cables.

Two 50W 20 ohm power resistors can be very silent! :)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The answer will rather depend on the metallurgy / type of dielectric and how they gel with your system and tastes. It is however a pivotal moment when you stop listening out for the cable / component and start relaxing with the music. 100-200 hours should put one into that zone. This is easier to achieve with power cord / digital cables / interconnects where you can leave gear on repeat without bothering other people than it is with speaker cables.

I am from that school of metallurgy science, and system synergy.

Expert car drivers know that a brand new car needs some driving time before optimal performance. ...Even from the contact of the rubber with the road.
_____

° https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/interconnect-and-speaker-cable-burn-in

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
+1

How can we be certain that what's going on is cable break-in and not ear break-in (i.e., our ears' acclimation to, and increasing comfort with, a slightly different sound)?

Ron, how dare you speak in common sense terms ! .......... LOL , I agree

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
+1

Ron,

You are referring to a classical argument against burn-in - of speakers, amplifiers, cables and all else in the high-end.

Considering cables, as I have a too large collection, I always keep the cable to be replaced for a long time when evaluating a new cable, carrying comparisons with it. In this way we can have a permanent reference. A few times I could try a well burn-in cable and a new cable side by side - but surely in uncontrolled conditions.

There are two possible positions in these nebulous affairs - those who are interested and carry their own experiences, trying to learn, and those who mostly rise doubts, expecting others to carry experiments and prove things. IMHO this is an hobby to be practiced, not to be mainly imagined or written. IMHO there is no way of persuading others we are right and they are wrong in such subjective matters.

Steve was spot on on the bass - most times it seems we get more envelopment due to better bass delineation and general improvement after burn-in.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Two racing cars on the racing track; they are both the same...one is brand new with zero mileage on its engine and tires, the other with 500 miles behind it.
Which one will cross the finish line first?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
It depends on the cable... more surface area between the conductor and dielectric the more obvious burn-in will be, teflon can take hundreds of hours. I've found most people consider burn-in done after 100-200 hours but I've had some customers notice burn-in up to 500 hours which is what it really takes to completely burn-in teflon dielectric.

Burn-in is pretty extreme with my litz wire as it has a lot of surface area. I posted measurements last year of a litz-wire speaker cable new and after burn-in using my AudioDharma cable cooker. Test used my Pioneer S-1EX speakers and OmniMic with the mic positioned a few inches from the concentric mid/tweeter used on this speaker.

Burn-In FR Comparison Detail.jpg

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Two racing cars on the racing track; they are both the same...one is brand new with zero mileage on its engine and tires, the other with 500 miles behind it.

Depends on who is the better driver.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Probably depends on the cable manufacturer and construction. When you experience the same cable set break in many times as a parallel circuit is put in place,then you know any doubt is misplaced. Time and time again the same steps repeat. 100,200,300,and 400 hours can be expected. Just went through a 400 hour agony myself.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa

it depends .........what kind of race are you talking about ? I know the answer you're looking for but trust me in the world of drag racing your 'hopeful' answer would not apply !

Regardless, poor analogy with respect to cable 'break in' Bob !

Depends on who is the better driver.

agreed !

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

The one I am not driving. :D

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
it depends .........what kind of race are you talking about ? I know the answer you're looking for but trust me in the world of drag racing your 'hopeful' answer would not apply !

Regardless, poor analogy with respect to cable 'break in' Bob !

There are zillion of links on cables burn-in/break-in. Opinions vary because no two cables are the same.
We have our own experience, our own belief. Me, depending of which cable/wire construction we are referring to, it depends. Some members here have replied with the right answers; it can vary from zero to 1,000 ... more or less. ...Or from 50 to 500.

As for the analogy with a model, it is an analogy with merit. I am positive.
_____

* On the thread's title it should be a "H" instead of starting by a "N". ...A simple observation, for Googlers.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

silver w/ teflon dialetric according to the Zu website. thank you (i think they say 400 hours which i have a very hard time believing)

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
There are zillion of links on cables burn-in/break-in. Opinions vary because no two cables are the same.
We have our own experience, our own belief. Me, depending of which cable/wire construction we are referring to, it depends. Some members here have replied with the right answers; it can vary from zero to 1,000 ... more or less. ...Or from 50 to 500.

As for the analogy with a model, it is an analogy with merit. I am positive.
_____

* On the thread's title it should be a "H" instead of starting by a "N". ...A simple observation, for Googlers.

so tell me Bob, on a 1000 hr 'burn in' how is one able to distinguish (audibly) between hour 1 and 1000 ? and please don't tell me you memory retention is that good , because it isn't.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
so tell me Bob, on a 1000 hr 'burn in' how is one able to distinguish (audibly) between hour 1 and 1000 ? and please don't tell me you memory retention is that good , because it isn't.

I tell you Dave,

Ask DaveC above; he's a cable expert and he took measurements, before and after break-in.
Look @ the graph he provided.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

In reality the only true benchmark in audio is the degree of clarity. If a cable upgrade doesn't increase the level of clarity in musical reproduction, then you haven't gained anything. Cables tend to be incremental and the breaking of thresholds can be expensive.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing