I am sick of failing amplifiers

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Not sure why but Dagostino Wilson is not my cup of tea. Nothing can really point too. Only tube gear has given me goosebumps. Hence I have a hybrid open baffle/horn speaker and low power tube amps. When I hook my Allo Volt+D up, such as I have in now, im amazed at the linearity and quiet. But it does not make me stop and listen.

I have efficient speakers, but probably not as high as yours. The Due Volte SET monoblocks give you 35W to each speaker. More than enough power to break windows.

Reactions: christoph

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I've had my Pass Labs X250.5 for 13 years now with an average of 2 to 3 hours a day of playtime. Other than a bug getting into the "needle assembly" that stopped the needle movement, no issues whatsoever. And no desire to upgrade. And if I sell, I can get 55% of what I initially paid. FYI, the JC1+ just hit the market.

I wonder if they incorporated any of my mods...

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I had my problems with tubes and tube amps. Very frustrating.

I finally found a ss amp to compliment my high sensitivity horns (107db) which allowed me to happily say goodby to tube amps. As you have fairly sensitive speakers (97db?), you might want to consider the Bakoon 13r at 25 watts/channel. It does not "sound solid state." It's a current based circuit, 0 feedback design. The build quality looks to be excellent.

http://www.bakoon.com/product/amp-13r/

My second choice would be one the low powered Pass amps.

Another very interesting concept I had not heard of before is powering high efficiency speakers from your DAC. @ray-dude has written about this on Audiophile Style in his review of the Extreme Server. He is connecting RCA from his Chord Dave DAC to his speakers.

So, there's one elegant way to solve your amp problems-- no amp! This would be a good thread topic on its own.

Reactions: sujay

audioguy1958

Feb 8, 2015
I only buy high quality used equipment or have completely custom equipment, because my intention is always to have it modified with better electrical components. Always. I have never heard a piece of stock equipment, from any manufacturer, that I was satisfied with. Nearly all equipment (except for the top manufacturers on an unlimited budget) you can buy will be using cheap capacitors, wiring, clocks etc. because they are designing for a specific price point. The best value for money I have found is in purchasing the top Musical Fidelity equipment, and then having a local technician (who is also a friend of mine) upgrade it with better components. I also have a custom designed tube phono stage with quality components, and the sum total of my system's sound is incredible. I don't comment on the money people spend on continuously selling and purchasing expensive equipment because its their business, not mine. But there is no doubt in my mind that modifying used quality gear is the highest value for money you can get. I try to use Mundorf Silver/Gold/Oil capacitors as much as possible, and they've never let me down.

Reactions: Sablon Audio

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I only buy high quality used equipment or have completely custom equipment, because my intention is always to have it modified with better electrical components. Always. I have never heard a piece of stock equipment, from any manufacturer, that I was satisfied with. Nearly all equipment (except for the top manufacturers on an unlimited budget) you can buy will be using cheap capacitors, wiring, clocks etc. because they are designing for a specific price point. The best value for money I have found is in purchasing the top Musical Fidelity equipment, and then having a local technician (who is also a friend of mine) upgrade it with better components. I also have a custom designed tube phono stage with quality components, and the sum total of my system's sound is incredible. I don't comment on the money people spend on continuously selling and purchasing expensive equipment because its their business, not mine. But there is no doubt in my mind that modifying used quality gear is the highest value for money you can get. I try to use Mundorf Silver/Gold/Oil capacitors as much as possible, and they've never let me down.

I modded equipment for 10 years before designing my own product line. 40 different components. Never encountered a piece that I could not improve. I don't do that anymore, but I agree with you that it's hard to find anything on the market that cannot be improved with mods. All of it needs it IMO. Finding a competent modder is another thing...

Reactions: K3RMIT

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
My most reliable tube amps so far have been VTL and Wavac. Even one of the three Wavacs required some interventions (replacement of power supply diodes). The VTL MB 450 over many years only had rare tube failures, they were as solid as a rock.

Tubes forced me to become more of a DIY interventionist than I wanted. Dynaco tube amps required interventions on a regular basis, the output chokes failed a lot. Melos 519 hi current tube amps required soldering of drain resistors pretty often, and had blow ups that I could mostly do myself replacing components.

The flea powered SET amps that I have been playing with to great delight currently on BG75 midrange ribbons both had problems that i could rectify by replacing components with better quality parts. They aren't too difficult to deal with due to fairly straight forward circuits.

Solid state repairs are more elusive because the circuits can be complicated and usually need more measuring equipment than a volt meter.

Reactions: paolo

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
A bit like cars - buy a cottage industry one (TVR, Jensen, etc) and you'll love the looks and performance, but you'll have to expect breakdowns. Look for BMW or Audi for trouble free, but perhaps marginally less exciting motoring. And big brands keep their value better too.

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Wil said "Another very interesting concept I had not heard of before is powering high efficiency speakers from your DAC."

The NAD M32's DirectDigital amp is claimed to be effectively a "DAC with gain" according to a white paper I read in the NAD archives. Interesting that it's being replaced with a Purifi module in its replacement, the NAD M33. I think the M32 is a remarkable amp for its price and, if the M33 is better and includes its other benefits (Dirac, streamer, etc), it promises to be an even bigger bargain. Peter

audioguy1958

Feb 8, 2015
I modded equipment for 10 years before designing my own product line. 40 different components. Never encountered a piece that I could not improve. I don't do that anymore, but I agree with you that it's hard to find anything on the market that cannot be improved with mods. All of it needs it IMO. Finding a competent modder is another thing...

You're not kidding, a highly skilled technician can even repair the screw ups people make trying to mod their own equipment when they don't know what they're doing!

Reactions: Lagonda

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Convergent audio jl 2 sign tube amp .
Never had a problem in 6 years time.
I bought it second hand with new tubes, its a 12 year old amplifier.
Bias changes a bit which is normal as tubes get older .
The Cat pre needs a new tube every year or so somewhere as one gets noisy.
I use KT 120 s i might swap to 6550 s in a couple of years just for fun.

With tube power amps i think its better if you connect them to an easy speaker .
If they constantly have to play on the limits of power my gut feeling is there is more chance of failure , plus the risk of higher distortion
I have no prove of that its just a feeling , plus the design has to be good in the first place .
To be honest i never had a problem with high end gear .
One tube that failed on me was of a Graaf gm 200 Otl and they run hot

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Never have speakerproblems too .
Besides 2 occasions from many years ago (10)

I blew up 2 thiell - accuton 20 mm diamond tweeters , 3600 euro a pair /whole sale price .

You ll never see me using them again, according to thiel accuton it was my fault , to much power .
In my view they just cant handle power.

Other time i put DC on a speaker by mistake and fried a voicecoil.

Last 9-10 years or so i never had an issue and i switched quite a few amps , but all good quality well known gear.

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Wil said "Another very interesting concept I had not heard of before is powering high efficiency speakers from your DAC."

The NAD M32's DirectDigital amp is claimed to be effectively a "DAC with gain" according to a white paper I read in the NAD archives. Interesting that it's being replaced with a Purifi module in its replacement, the NAD M33. I think the M32 is a remarkable amp for its price and, if the M33 is better and includes its other benefits (Dirac, streamer, etc), it promises to be an even bigger bargain. Peter

Here's the White Paper about NAD's DirectDigital "DAC with gain" concept, if anyone interested.

https://nadelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/DirectDigital_WhitePaper.pdf

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Been reading about the Boulder 1160 or 1161. There is a 1060 for $8k. But yea, my snobbery says the 1060 is not musical enough and I have to hold out for 6 years till a 1260 is produced, and the 1160 is afforded. But hey, by then 1160 will no longer be musical enough. Maybe the 1460 will change things.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Wil said "Another very interesting concept I had not heard of before is powering high efficiency speakers from your DAC."...
15yrs ago I did this with a Grace designs dac. Worked ok. Anyways I doubt the PAP open baffle woofers are easy enough to try this with imho...

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
I grew weary of the transformer hum and various noise associated with tube amps myself. I migrated to a Pass XA30.8 paired with a VAC line stage with NOS 6922's and have been really happy for the past 18 months. In my view I'm getting even better sonics top to bottom yet with a black background and no maintenance headaches. Knock on wood....

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
A bit like cars - buy a cottage industry one (TVR, Jensen, etc) and you'll love the looks and performance, but you'll have to expect breakdowns. Look for BMW or Audi for trouble free, but perhaps marginally less exciting motoring. And big brands keep their value better too.
Porsche=Solid State
Ferrari=Tubes

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Porsche=Solid State
Ferrari=Tubes
I think its the other way around. My Cayman S is tight, lively, exhilarating ride. More tube to me. SS would be one of those Mercedes AMG rides.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I think its the other way around. My Cayman S is tight, lively, exhilarating ride. More tube to me. SS would be one of those Mercedes AMG rides.
I do believe he was referring to reliability ;)

Reactions: hogen

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I do believe he was referring to reliability ;)
My Porsche has been rock solid. No issues other than my wife drilling the front fender into a high curb in her parking garage, Twice.

Reactions: Lagonda

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Have you asked your wife if she has been the one dinging your amps? :D Just kidding :)

Valvet A4IIs for your PAP Trios comes to mind. Just the right amount of power w headroom, Pure Class A, 0 neg feedback, SS, Rock Solid, made by a horn builder, won't break bank, plays best with tube pre's which all its stablemates are.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing