i finally got to Ed.

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
I finally got to Ed.

So it was not so long ago when I started my journey around reel to reel tapes world.
A couple of months or a little more, and I already read and watched a ton of text and tutorials about recordings, master tapes, decks, mods, repro pre amps and what not.
along the way you can't unsee what people suggest with their best buys and you "must" have them too. if you are like us around here searching for top game masters (at least what is common) listening you have to get a decent deck (i bought a really nice Studer A810 and almost immediately ordered AAD TP1000 that i'm waiting for it) and open my bank account to be seriously damage from avalanche of ridiculous pricey master tapes with music.
I ordered in the beginning the usual suspects as AP, and Horch house, 2XHD...
and right after some of the more "one man show" labels that we are all around here familiar with. Jonathan from IPI that i found his stuff are amazing and a bunch more, but one of the most recognise recorder around here is Eduard from Ultrananalog of course, we exchange some emails and he were greicius to talk me through his process and equipment, im for one who listening to classical music all my life and for 90% of my listening time day in day, ed catalog is really REALLY interesting with some world name players.
i started with two of his albums, one is the Tatsuki Narita wonderful tape, a company yun yang lee on piano, playing with some amazing violin sound some of the best music.
Saint-Saens-Danse Macabre, Sarasate-Zigeunerweisen, Bloch-Nigun, Sarasate-Introduction & Tarantella, Meditation
This album is so clean, so good, so interesting, with some fine details. micro dynamics and live excent you can only hear from tape.

The second one I think it's Ed's last recording of the last three Beethoven piano sonatas for Piano , playing Vadym Kholodenko.
This is two reels recording with the 31 sonatats split between one and two.
piano is the hardest instrument you can record and get it well also for reproduction, we all know how much trouble a lot of stereo systems encountered with Piano playing thorough, but Ed nailed it except of maybe some hard note here and there hitting the "ding" ceiling but the music playing and recording are so good and involving you hardly hear it or notice it... (ED said maybe with a better repro electronics i will not get those, but it's alright like it is to my ears...but.. i will evaluate his remarks in the future)

Both titles were coping in NAB eq as Ed suggested so I needed to switch my deck for his tapes and remember to switch back for my others :)
The product itself is very good yet simple. white cardbox with some sticker with the titles and some more info and some a4 paper inside with some text about Narita for example and a thank you note.
For the prices we spend on those, I expect some more attention to the boxing , cover, info, booklet and other stuff, but it doesn't bother me too much for not liking it so much or stop buying some more of Ed recordings soon enough. its diluted to the music itself but we are now costumes to a more luxury overall product when we buy vinyls and tapes.

i would like to thank ed for his time spent talking to me, and to other ppl around that suggest his tapes and music recordings, he is one of the best out there no doubt.

Many thanks for your kind words!
I'm so glad you hear the magic in timeless music...
Congratulations on getting the new French tape deck, I look forward to hear how it sounds compared to your A810.
Enjoy the music & journey!

Ed

• Love
Reactions: byrdparis

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu