I just listened to the Aries-Cerat Helen DAC in my system....

Synaxis

Jan 3, 2024
USA
Guys - I'm going to give you a much more in-depth write-up on this thread as I listen more tonight, but I wanted to place this as a place holder.

I did some brief listening so far today of the Helene DAC, and it is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING.

The amount of emotion, tone, texture and body is phenomenal.

I will share more thoughts soon....

OK guys - I feel like I have a better grasp on the sound of the Genus with the Aqua La Scala tube dad (NOS tubes) and the Genus with the Helene DAC.

I also tried jus the Helene DAC on the other amps I have here to be sure I had a firm grasp on what I was hearing.

The Helene DAC with other gear:

Added a big dose of the Aries Cerat magic: depth, tone, richness, and the most important for me - emotion. Comparing this DAC ($19K) to other DAC's at its price point, it's a no-brainer (FOR ME). It does have a hot signal so I appreciate the ability with the switches in the back to use at -6db (I needed to use it on other amps, but not with the Genus). I did notice that the bass was lighter and not as pronounced vs. my Aqua DAC.

While definitely a big does of the Aries Cerat magic, if I could only afford one, I would choose the Genus first and keep my current DAC as the Genus was a bigger difference in my system.

The Genus with the Helene replacing my Aqua DAC:

The Genus with the Aqua was fantastic. The Genus with the Helene added a bit "more" of the AC sound: more depth, more space, more tone/texture, and to me most importantly more emotion.

I found myself listening to the same songs I've heard hundreds of times totally enthralled with how much more I was enthralled with the sound and emotion being conveyed.

I flipped the switch on the Helene so it was at 0 db rather than the -6, and this worked better.

Vocal music (Brandi Carlile) was beyond beautiful. Opera with Maria Callas had me entranced with the emotion on a level I have not felt before.

Buddy Guy on the song Anna Lee was so open, airy and the brush in the drums had such swagger in them, and hearing different sounds on the stage that was beautifully laid it in front of me like never before was just stunning.

I did notice in all the music the Helene had less bass than my Aqua, and this was really borne out with my vocal trance. Also, at the end of the day I'm only dealing with 25 watts which is plenty for 95% of the time, I do like that extra 5% some time.

Conclusion:

Could I live within the limitations of the power output and the lighter bass and be happy?

100000% yes.

If I could only upgrade one first, it would be the Genus then upgrade the DAC. But regardless the AC could easily be much more popular with stronger distributor support in the US. It is nothing short of spectacular. The biggest thing holding AC back (IMO) is that it's not in more high end dealers for people to be exposed to it. If it were, it would be a very easy sell for them, and a very easy purchase decision for the buyer.

Have you put the Helene on the Well-float yet?

Have you put the Helene on the Well-float yet?

Hi Tony - not yet. The DAC is like 80 or 100 lbs, so I'll be trying that soon as I need help to do it safely.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu