I said I would never buy another Turntable...Argh !!!

Drum roll...isolation off, isolation passive, isolation active.

Much to my chagrin, when active is engaged, the sound is deadened, less open and airy. It sounds best with the unit on and only in passive mode (active off). Bummer !!!
It was easy to hear and David confirms my findings...
David was right.

Merry Christmas, Christian. Could you please clarify something? When you turn the active isolation off, does that mean the table acts as a solid, rigid structure as if were simply a welded steel framed support, or are there some passive springs still in effect somewhere? In other words, are the Herzan isolators, active and passive, completely removed from the equation and it is now as if the turntable is on the same type of support that David uses?

Merry Christmas, Christian. Could you please clarify something? When you turn the active isolation off, does that mean the table acts as a solid, rigid structure as if were simply a welded steel framed support, or are there some passive springs still in effect somewhere? In other words, are the Herzan isolators, active and passive, completely removed from the equation and it is now as if the turntable is on the same type of support that David uses?

no it does not. When it's turned completely off..it's pretty rigid but not completely. When on but active not engaged (passive). The springs come to life. IT is not wobbly however because of the huge load of this TT. When active goes on, it feels like a thin silk sheet has been put over the speakers. The air/ambiance of the music (particularly treble region) is significantly diminished.

Merry Christmas Peter. I think passive means hard stiff springs and off means limp ones. There seems to be no balancing act going in passive and nothing sonically detrimental the I can hear but I still believe there will be a little more in the upper bass with a really solid stand but everything sounds quite amazing just as things are now. His future home is really incredible with beautiful acoustics the system will finally live in the type of space it deserves!

david

Change your tt, change your house...change your speakers.

Christian, it looks like David has been 100% correct all along on isolation. Maybe this means you need to go the whole hog and swap your Herzan for one that has zero compliance in the structure? Surely even a minor bit of give in the Herzan springs (despite active mode disabled) still leaves the AS-2000 JUST short of its very best. And since this tt is purporting to be the very best, any compromise here is a compromise too far?

If you want an undampned stand there are nice other possibilties .
As the American sound turntable is a kinda massive /rough looking industrial design , how about a custom machined aluminium welded /bolted construction made up from thick slabs high grade alu alloy 6000/7000 series with a machined to super flatness thick granite top , the aluminum then clear anodized , aluminium itself does give a bit of dampening , might be ideal
If you make a table with a removable exchangeable top you could try steel alu granite resincomposites whatever
One could engrave AS in them or even your name

Last edited:
David is building the appropriate rigid stand for a fraction of the hi-end audiophile stands. That will be in place for the new house and I will try the active table for component power supplies and Tape decks. TT's are out as far as active isolation is concerned...at least my TT's.

David is building the appropriate rigid stand for a fraction of the hi-end audiophile stands. That will be in place for the new house and I will try the active table for component power supplies and Tape decks. TT's are out as far as active isolation is concerned...at least my TT's.

Merry Christmas Christian

Enjoy as I bet it sounds spectacular.

As for your finding on active isolation there are many of us here who are not surprised at the outcome.

you guys are already changing my stereo ??? Merry Christmas !

If your AS2000 isn't like-ing the Herzan-Table why not put your Phono amp and Pre amp on it for a test?

Or is that something you have already done and I missed it...

If your AS2000 isn't like-ing the Herzan-Table why not put your Phono amp and Pre amp on it for a test?

Or is that something you have already done and I missed it...

That will be possible as long as I add additional weight to make the 150lb minimum load for the extra heavy springs. If I don’t, I have to have some Springs removed from my avi isolation units. Not sure if I will be able to do it or not. Problem solved with adding free weights if necessary. Once this AS2000 has to be moved in 4 mos...it will have another stand and this avi stand will be free to experiment with.

That will be possible as long as I add additional weight to make the 150lb minimum load for the extra heavy springs. If I don’t, I have to have some Springs removed from my avi isolation units. Not sure if I will be able to do it or not. Problem solved with adding free weights if necessary. Once this AS2000 has to be moved in 4 mos...it will have another stand and this avi stand will be free to experiment with.

or I will buy it from him (or buy my own NDW23A) and have Taiko Tana do their mods (custom power supply and aluminum/panzerholtz top plate).

but some research needed to consider that. we know more than we did before, but we don't know everything. low percentage that I will pursue it, but not zero. I have time to ponder.

clearly it would be easier/cheaper for me just to buy the custom table David is building, or Tango's Stacore table. and the NDW23 will be a cost effective 'uber' support for Christian's electronics in any case.

I guess it's also possible Christian tries the Taiko Tana direction too before kicking this to the curb (I've not talked to Christian about it).

Last edited:
Merry Christmas Christian

Enjoy as I bet it sounds spectacular.

As for your finding on active isolation there are many of us here who are not surprised at the outcome.

+1

Only question remains is whether the new room has suspended floors, in which case, the active isolation may at that point be a benefit.

no it does not. When it's turned completely off..it's pretty rigid but not completely. When on but active not engaged (passive). The springs come to life. IT is not wobbly however because of the huge load of this TT. When active goes on, it feels like a thin silk sheet has been put over the speakers. The air/ambiance of the music (particularly treble region) is significantly diminished.

Christian, I may have missed this but please remind me- what type of floor construction do you have in the current room (as well as the new digs)? Are you currently using a concrete floor or a floor on wood joists? (Other?)

The plan is to keep the NDW23 and use it as a passive device for the AS2000. The device is passive when it’s turned on....the Springs stiffen but no active compensation for vibration/resonance is occurring. David said used this way, there is no negative drag on the sound...perhaps a bit better than a steel rigid table ? Still needs to be confirmed.

Christian, I may have missed this but please remind me- what type of floor construction do you have in the current room (as well as the new digs)? Are you currently using a concrete floor or a floor on wood joists? (Other?)

Poured concrete basement foundation floor.

or I will buy it from him (or buy my own NDW23A) and have Taiko Tana do their mods (custom power supply and aluminum/panzerholtz top plate).

Merry Christmas Mike

I'm trying to understand if you are suggesting that the Standard Herzan power supply is the reason Christian and David found what they did

Merry Christmas Mike

I'm trying to understand if you are suggesting that the Standard Herzan power supply is the reason Christian and David found what they did

That won't make a difference, imo...It's the mechanical action of "active" vibration/resonance damping that is the culprit. That is the way both David and I have rationalized it. The good vibrations are being damped indiscriminately which leads to homogenized sound.

Merry Christmas Mike

and Merry Christmas Steve.

i'm drawing no conclusions. but I've spent the last 4 weeks comparing the Taiko Tana to the stock Herzan and other footers, and there is a considerable difference. and especially in the top end life and energy. how does my experience relate to Christian's? is it written in stone that active is a negative with the AS-2000?

those are questions.

likely active is not the answer. my plan is to (1) sit back and watch how things develop for Christian, and (2) consult with Taiko Tana to see how they view this additional information we now have.

no worries.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing