Ideon Absolute E and Time Demo

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
@Audire - Joe, I don't know if this is a reasonable question or not but I am wondering if you have or will be assessing the sound of the Ideon DAC on it's own versus the sound with the Time included ? Net net, is/will the Time an overriding factor as you compare against the EMM , Horizon etc. ; are there other re-clockers involved with those other brands? Please feel free to correct me if I am not thinking correctly about the Time. Thank you

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
The sound that’s is so glorious is with the EMM Pre (gain set to “0” on the DAC). It’s presently playing. However, with the Vitus we discovered that we needed to adjust the DAC gain to “2” to get it to sound its very best, but it was still shy of the EMM presentation.
Just a question for clarification:
Why then sticking to the Vitus when the EMM is superior?
Thx

Matt

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
You can upload it to Youtube and then paste the link of it.
I attempted to do this a little while ago. I can’t get it to work. I can’t load to YT … I’ll try it again after the holidays.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
@Audire - Joe, I don't know if this is a reasonable question or not but I am wondering if you have or will be assessing the sound of the Ideon DAC on it's own versus the sound with the Time included ? Net net, is/will the Time an overriding factor as you compare against the EMM , Horizon etc. ; are there other re-clockers involved with those other brands? Please feel free to correct me if I am not thinking correctly about the Time. Thank you

The Ideon w/o the Time is excellent, but with the Time it is world class. There’s more detail, bass seems superior, and the mids and highs are to die for with the Time. Without the Time the DAC is still very good, and is superior to everything else I’ve heard, but with the Time it’s a definite step in performance.

Last edited:

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Just a question for clarification:
Why then sticking to the Vitus when the EMM is superior?
Thx

Matt

IMO Vitus is a much better Pre than the EMM. There‘s better synergy with their amps. There is less noise. However, the EMM is working better with just this one DAC. The Ideon eliminates noise too. Vitus using the EMM DA2V2 sounds marvelous. We will be doing the same tests with the Horizon using both the Vitus and EMM Pres. I was told by someone who just upgraded to a Horizon that I’m in for a huge treat. We will see what happens then.

Last edited:

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
The Ideon w/o the Time is excellent, but with the Time it is world class. There’s more detail, bass seems superior, and the mids and highs are to die for with the Time. Without the Time the DAC is still very good, and is superior to everything else I’ve heard, but with the Time it’s a definite step in performance.

Joe thank you for the response. Once you get the Horizon and listen to it on its own, is there anything technical that would preclude trying it with the Time? If not , is that something that you would consider doing? Thank you

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Joe thank you for the response. Once you get the Horizon and listen to it on its own, is there anything technical that would preclude trying it with the Time? If not , is that something that you would consider doing? Thank you

Aurender has their new MC-20 out now. I’m thinking of trying one of those - https://www.aurenderamerica.com/products/mc20

Reactions: facten

pdubya

Oct 30, 2012
Audiophile wasteland
Aurender word clock and Ideon usb/spdif reclocker are different animals. Horizon should work with Time but I don’t think it’s word-clock ready. That said, I’m very curious to see/hear what prompted Aurender to make a word clock that is far pricier than any of their other offerings thus far.

Reactions: Pokey77

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Tomorrow we place the Vitus back in with the Ideon. The Ideon has settled in and the Vitus won’t be cold. So we will see if there’s better synergy …

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Today we tested the Vitus Line Stage again. It was beyond magical. Apparently the Ideon DAC hadn’t enough time to settle the last time we demoed. The Vitus was also cold the last time. This time it was connected for a long while.

The Vitus MP Line Stage is a keeper in our present list of to purchase items. The sound stage exploded like a prism revealing all the different layers of sound. It‘s like a tide rolling in. It out performed our EMM Labs Pre.

Only one more DAC to demo (Lampi Horizon). To date the Ideon + Time (or even w/o Time) is the absolute best DAC we’ve demoed. Even w/o the Time it outperformed the other DACs we tried. With the Time it is off the charts excellent, easily surpassing such DACs, as EMM, MSB, etc. “to us” and “in this particular system.”

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Hello Joe, that's wonderful to hear. Can I check if you are testing the MP L MKII or the Signature model? Many thanks for the updates.

Reactions: Audire

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Hello Joe, that's wonderful to hear. Can I check if you are testing the MP L MKII or the Signature model? Many thanks for the updates.
We were listening to the Signature SL103. But we’re getting the MP.

Sorry for the confusion in my post.

Last edited:
Reactions: ashandger

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Any update?

As far as the Ideon + Time, after it left here it went to a reviewer. A new review should be coming out soon. The reviewer also has a Horizon, so hopefully he will compare the two.

I'm waiting to demo the Horizon at present. So, far Ideon is number 1. There’s no competition between it and the other DACs we’ve tried. But the Horizon is supposed to be very special.

After hearing the Horizon we will be making a decision.

Sep 10, 2022
Very interested to hear your take on horizon and ideon. is the other reviewer that has both greg weaver? also interested to hear his take.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Very interested to hear your take on horizon and ideon. is the other reviewer that has both greg weaver? also interested to hear his take.

Yes, Greg Weaver.

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
IMO Vitus is a much better Pre than the EMM. There‘s better synergy with their amps. There is less noise. However, the EMM is working better with just this one DAC. The Ideon eliminates noise too. Vitus using the EMM DA2V2 sounds marvelous. We will be doing the same tests with the Horizon using both the Vitus and EMM Pres. I was told by someone who just upgraded to a Horizon that I’m in for a huge treat. We will see what happens then.
I would recommend tryin the Horizon with no preamp, directly to amps as well. In my system, that is the proverbial bee’s knees.

Reactions: Audire

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I would recommend tryin the Horizon with no preamp, directly to amps as well. In my system, that is the proverbial bee’s knees.

Thanks. Good idea. We will try that while Fred is here. At least I’ll ask. I‘m hoping our new Vitus Masterpeice Line Stage will be here as well, but most likely not.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing