If you can't hear differences in YouTube comparisons, is it because:

nearly (according to the internet): Douglas Adams's popular 1979 science-fiction novel The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, the first in a series of five. Toward the end of the book, the supercomputer Deep Thought reveals that the answer to the “Great Question” of “Life, the Universe and Everything” is “forty-two.”
Forty-two is the ASCII code for the symbol * also known as the asterisk. This symbol is often thought to translate to anything or everything. In this instance, 42 = everything, the meaning of life.

I hope this means we can move on...
Actually, as physicists have uncovered more, and understanding of time curvature in gravitational fields was refined, when the question was put to the new computer, the answer turned out to be 43. DA being dead (I have his Albuquerque), he never learned the truth.

So the whole history of the earth was off by about 2.4%, future understanding not withstanding.

Of course in binary, the answer looks a bit different.

Can we move on? I dunno. If we do, this will just pop up in some other thread, so why not let it roost here.

You will find the definition of Albuquerque here

Attachments

• IMG_1418.jpeg
    IMG_1418.jpeg
    697.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Reactions: PYP and wil
Can we move on? I dunno. If we do, this will just pop up in some other thread, so why not let it roost here.
I have my towel and am ready for any eventuality. Very handy for these threads. You can laugh in it, scream in it, among other things. Best tweak there is for the most important component in the chain -- us. It isn't 43, but it is pretty darn close. Or course, this leads to the inevitable question: What's the Best Towel?

Or course, this leads to the inevitable question: What's the Best Towel?

D. Folks listen at their preferred level for all videos they're comparing, why would this matter?
Sadly, you are correct. Once again, the personal preferences BS crops up. I’m guessing it matters that performers, engineers, and/or conductors choose certain volume levels for live performances. At the other end, I’m also guessing it matters that we don’t spend the bulk of our days whispering to others.

Edited: And somewhere in between are those attempting to twist and bend those recordings of live performances to their own personal preferences. Why? That I do not get.

E. Similar to B.
Incorrect. There is zero correlation between a faulty youtube channel which frankly I’ve never heard of and you selecting a sufficient device to listen for best sound quality levels.

F. I would guess this is rare?
Incorrect. You should find an overabundance of enthusiasts proudly proclaim their reliance on their audio memory.

G. Possibly in Rons case.
Perhaps. But I’d venture we are all guilty to one great extent or another allowing our personal preferences, our presumptions, and/or preconceived narratives to severely cloud our thinking.

H. Similar to C.
Incorrect. First there are always differences no matter how minute. Second, I’m unsure how you see any similarity whatsoever between worthwhile differences and challenging music pieces.

I. Similar to A.
Incorrect. Should be zero correlation between faulty hearing and listening for the wrong things.

J. Similar to A.
Incorrect. Hearing abilities and listening skills are almost entirely separate matters. One is granted at or before birth while the other is a learned skill with time and attention. For example. I’ve witnessed elderly enthusiasts with compromised hearing yet still have excellent better-than-most listening skills.

K. Possibly in Rons case.
Incorrect. Honestly, I’d venture most everybody here is not only under the influence of but also a member of the consensus. That’s why it’s called the consensus.

L. Doesn't make sense.
A. Those with sever hearing limitations probably ought to find a pursuit other than an audio-only one.
B. I’ve never heard of a faulty Youtube playback. Have you?
C. There always exists worthwhile differences. At least for those who care to search for them.

M. Doesn't make sense.
How can one legitimately partake in a performance-oriented pursuit and not utilize their critical thinking skills? Or think such skills are unnecessary?

N. Similar to G/K
Very good. You got one right. Sorta. :)

So my updated reasons are:

A. Your hearing is faulty
B. Your YouTube playback isn't good enough.
C. There are no worthwhile differences.
D. You've convinced yourself that system videos cannot offer anything worthwhile.
Of your new modified list, D is the only valid option. But at least we're growing because yesterday there were none. :)

Last edited:
I have my towel and am ready for any eventuality. Very handy for these threads. You can laugh in it, scream in it, among other things. Best tweak there is for the most important component in the chain -- us. It isn't 43, but it is pretty darn close. Or course, this leads to the inevitable question: What's the Best Towel?

Reactions: PYP

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing