If you still spin CDs, this may be the best option.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
What do you mean by "synthetics"?

Spiritofmusic was very precise in this description - it was just the opposite that it is usually associated with the Metronome Kalista's. It is why I posted my remark.
It was a bit of s play on words relating to clothes...synthetic can irritate the skin and the ear ;-)

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
20190528_134849-2.jpg

On 28th, May, I visited Esotar"s listening room.

He had moved just 5 days ago, to new place.

Thus it had not been fully settled yet.

But with combination of SGM Extreme and Trinity Dac, music flows natural and dynamic.

The only missing thing is that it was hard to judge depth of soundstage due to reflection from the windows.

Host plan to drape the windows pretty soon.

Nevertheless it was quite enjoyable.

When I switched to Formular XHD Dac, pristine texture remains same but dynamic slam falls short of Trinity Dac.

Overall Formular XHD Dac is good for the money but not for bass freak.

Because of my dental appointment, I could stay just over one hour.

But it was a quite experience of SGM Extreme server with natural music flow.

It would be very nice to compare top music server like SGM and gorgeous Kalista transport side by side in the future.

Last edited:

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
After being back to my home, I felt sigh of relief after listening to my system with EMMLab Dac2.

It still sound good enough to beat most of system that I had heard in Korea.

I had listened to Chord Dave and Blue II transport in Korea.

Dave without upsampling was just good not extarordinary.

But with upsampler, its details, nuanced texture, focus and deep 3D soundstage impressed me.

I found a good deal on used Dave and M Scaler and it got delivered this morning.

I heard that Dave and Mscaler is sensitive to power supply.

I plan to use LI ion battery pack to power M scaler.

Also I have 4 isolation transformers.

Although Pacific of Lampi was also impressive n Korea , it could be too creamy in my system since I already have tube SET amplifier.

I plan to set up Dave and M scaler up this afternoon.

I will update the progress.

Thomas

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Thomas, please do. I'm v interested in Chord, more the Hugo TT over the Dave, w MScaler as a subsequent upgrade. It seems that Hugo TT w MScaler is the sweetspot over Dave.

Reactions: thomask

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
After being back to my home, I felt sigh of relief after listening to my system with EMMLab Dac2.

It still sound good enough to beat most of system that I had heard in Korea.

I had listened to Chord Dave and Blue II transport in Korea.

Dave without upsampling was just good not extarordinary.

But with upsampler, its details, nuanced texture, focus and deep 3D soundstage impressed me.

I found a good deal on used Dave and M Scaler and it got delivered this morning.

I heard that Dave and Mscaler is sensitive to power supply.

I plan to use LI ion battery pack to power M scaler.

Also I have 4 isolation transformers.

Although Pacific of Lampi was also impressive n Korea , it could be too creamy in my system since I already have tube SET amplifier.

I plan to set up Dave and M scaler up this afternoon.

I will update the progress.

Thomas

Lampi is not too creamy at all. It depends on the tube you use. Also Pacific and Golden gate are different

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Lampi is not too creamy at all. It depends on the tube you use. Also Pacific and Golden gate are different
Ir would be interesting to have a chance to audition Lampi in my system.

But after finding good deal on used Dave and M scaler, I pulled the trigger not to lose it.

Actually, my 10 years old EMMLab Dac2 still sounds pretty decent.;)

I will find out how much Dave and MScaler sound better this afternoon.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Ir would be interesting to have a chance to audition Lampi in my system.

But after finding good deal on used Dave and M scaler, I pulled the trigger not to lose it.

Actually, my 10 years old EMMLab Dac2 still sounds pretty decent.;)

I will find out how much Dave and MScaler sound better this afternoon.
Congratulations Thomas on the dave and m scaler... I’d suggest you hold off on the Li-ion supply (especially if it’s 12 volt) as the m scaler sounds better at its 15 volt rating.

There is a 15 volt Vinshine linear psu at 4 amp (from the same guy who does the kinki integrated amp in Singapore).

I use this linear supply (the 12 volt model) on my microzotl and may still get one for my m scaler... but I did just do some wire and connector mods on the stock chord supply (which is the first stock switching supply of its kind I’ve found to be not noisy) which included replacing the dc wire and connector with furutech and oyaide and using an adaptor to put a Shunyata python pc from wall to the psu. This upgrade was excellent and in the realm of typical improvements from upgrading to a better psu... but my audiophile nervosa may still see me getting in another Vinshine psu to try for the m scaler.

Last edited:

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Congratulations Thomas on the dave and m scaler... I’d suggest you hold off on the Li-ion supply (especially if it’s 12 volt) as the m scaler sounds better at its 15 volt rating.

There is a 15 volt Vinshine linear psu which puts our 4 amp (from the same guy who does the kinki integrated amp in Singapore).

I use this linear supply on my microzotl and may still get one for my m scaler... but I did just do some wire and connector mods on the stock chord supply (which is the first switching supply I’ve found to be not noisy) which included replacing the dc wire and connector with furutech and oyaide and using an adaptor to put a Shunyata python pc from wall to the psu. This upgrade was excellent and in the realm of typical improvements from upgrading to a better psu... but my audiophile nervosa may still see me getting in another Vinshine psu.
Thanks a lot for your kind input.

I got the Li Ion pack which can put out 16V since I had read that MScaler sounds better with 16V rather than 12 V.

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Thanks a lot for your kind input.

I got the Li Ion pack which can put out 16V since I read that MScaler sounds better with 16V rather than 12 V.
That’s great, I’ve been hesitating simply because Chord have included a void on warranty if there is damage from a dc regulation that shows greater than 15 volt to the unit so please be aware of that... I always prefer a better supply so struggle with the Chord anti psu upgrade stance. Happy listening with the Dave/mscaler... looking forwards to your thoughts.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Thomask, I'll be particularly interested in yr take. I used to run an Emm Labs CDSA-SE cdp, so pretty familiar w the Emm signature. Your compare and contrast to the Dave/MScaler will hopefully strike a, ahem, chord w me (pun fully intended).

Reactions: morricab

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I had set up Dave and M scaler one hour ago.

Initial impression is very good with 768 KHZ upsampling using double BNC cables, it sound very transparent with clean details.

I am using supplied power supply with M Scaler.

Tomorrow, I will try Li battery with M Scaler and do also some comparison with several options of digital cables.

I started with pair of Blackcat Silverstar II BNC cables.

Jay’s Audio CDT2 Mk2 is being used now which give bang for the money.

I think Jay's CDT2 approach 80% of the performance of CEC TL0X at less than 1/5 price.

CEC TLOx is the best transport that I had used for 5 years at my home.

Of course Kalista could be better than Jay's by 30% or more.

But I can not tell since I had not used Kalista at my home.

Last edited:

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
I had set up Dave and M scaler one hour ago.

Initial impression is very good with 768 KHZ upsampling using double BNC cables, it sound very transparent with clean details.

I am using supplied power supply with M Scaler.

Tomorrow, I will try Li battery with M Scaler and do also some comparison with several options of digital cables.

I started with pair of Blackcat Silverstar II BNC cables.

Jay’s Audio CDT2 Mk2 is being used now which give bang for the money.

I think Jay's CDT2 approach 80% of the performance of CEC TL0X at less than 1/5 price.

CEC TLOx is the best transport that I had used for 5 years at my home.

Of course Kalista could be better than Jay's by 30% or more.

But I can not tell since I had not used Kalista at my home.

Please let us know on your progress with the battery power, BNC cables. I also heard someone mod the Dave to have external PSU but cant find information anywhere. :)

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Please let us know on your progress with the battery power, BNC cables. I also heard someone mod the Dave to have external PSU but cant find information anywhere. :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0791WDZTW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had tried above Li ion Battery pack on Mscaler.

It sounds slightly more transparent than included power supply.

But the difference was minor than I had expected.

It may be because included power supply had been connected to separate isolation transformer.

I have no plan to modify Dave.;)

But Dave had been connected to separate isolation transformer.

That may be the way to go.

Although I have three different pairs of BNC digital cables, it will take time to give opinion on them.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tbh Thomask, a prominent review of Dave came to the same conclusion, dedicated LPS was only a marginal advantage, not worth the potential voiding of warranty.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . .

Yongsan Electronic Land used to house more than 200 high end audio shops about 15 years ago, while it had dwindled to around 100 shops now.

. . .

What is the line source panel speaker, just inside of each Avalon?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
View attachment 53236

On 28th, May, I visited Esotar"s listening room.

He had moved just 5 days ago, to new place.

Thus it had not been fully settled yet.

But with combination of SGM Extreme and Trinity Dac, music flows natural and dynamic.

The only missing thing is that it was hard to judge depth of soundstage due to reflection from the windows.

Host plan to drape the windows pretty soon.

Nevertheless it was quite enjoyable.

When I switched to Formular XHD Dac, pristine texture remains same but dynamic slam falls short of Trinity Dac.

Overall Formular XHD Dac is good for the money but not for bass freak.

Because of my dental appointment, I could stay just over one hour.

But it was a quite experience of SGM Extreme server with natural music flow.

It would be very nice to compare top music server like SGM and gorgeous Kalista transport side by side in the future.

If he switched to safety glass (laminated) there would be no need to cover it.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
That doesn’t matter at all unless the speakers are too close, then everything is negative but pure absorption. The reflected rear wave is what gives sound the 3D effect. Problems come from poor quality reflections on the backside. And in general reflections are destructive if they are within a bad enveloped of timing. If they are then they are often appreciated for adding qualities.

The issue with single pane and double/triple is it sounds like shit. It’s very irritating in nature, very harsh, so it’s distracting. When you swap it out for something that is basically like putting thick plywood, then it’s nice.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That was made by Mark Levinson himself (not Mark Levinson brand).

But I do not have more specific information on it.

Thank you.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing