In For Review: The Merill Audio Veritas Monoblocks..interesting...

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Where am I insisting that everyone agrees with my opinion?

I suggested that Andre compare the Merill amps to the Audience amps which use the same Ncore modules.

If he does feel the need to that, it's fine with me.

Hey devert. It is not logistically possible for me to compare these to Audience amps. Why would John McDonald ship me a pair of his amps,
at his expense, for a comparison? It defies logic.

After the Merill, I have 3 amps in the cue for review, the new Rogue Stereo 100 (KT120s!), the Burson Time keeper, and the NuForce DDA-100.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
So the idea of it being "universally panned" has been debunked.

I'm glad we have another "debunker" here on WBF because people who proclaim themselves as "debunkers" are usually held in high esteem in high-end audio.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I'm glad we have another "debunker" here on WBF because people who proclaim themselves as "debunkers" are usually held in high esteem in high-end audio.

Did you not bestow upon me the title "guru" ?:D

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Hey devert. It is not logistically possible for me to compare these to Audience amps. Why would John McDonald ship me a pair of his amps,
at his expense, for a comparison? It defies logic.

After the Merill, I have 3 amps in the cue for review, the new Rogue Stereo 100 (KT120s!), the Burson Time keeper, and the NuForce DDA-100.

Hey Andre,

I already said if you don't feel the need to compare the amps, it's fine with me.

I can't speak for John.

Have fun with your reviews.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Did you not bestow upon me the title "guru" ?:D

Why, yes I did Andre. In hindsight, I should have said you were a professional guru to match your "professional audio reviewer" title. Speaking of "Professional Audio Reviewer," does any other professional audio reviewer use that title or do they just call themselves audio reviewers?

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Why, yes I did Andre. In hindsight, I should have said you were a professional guru to match your "professional audio reviewer" title. Speaking of "Professional Audio Reviewer," does any other professional audio reviewer use that title or do they just call themselves audio reviewers?

Can't speak for others. I am a full time writer. Pays the mortgage, pays the bills. 90% of audio reviewers are freelance writers with full outside
employments. TAS has 4 full time employees in editorial. Stereohphile has 5. Jeff Dorgay of Tone is the only other entity outside of those two
that is in the full time (virtual) publishing business.

BTW, I VERY much like the title Professional Guru..has very nice ring to it.;)

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Where am I insisting that everyone agree with my opinion?

I suggested that Andre compare the Merill amps to the Audience amps which use the same Ncore modules.

If he doesn't feel the need to that, it's fine with me.

My apologies. I somehow got you lumped in with the insistence that the ML amps were universally panned by the entire world, and that direct references to positive reviews did nothing to refute that. A quick review of posts tells me I was wrong.

Tim

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
First, it was my impression (and apparently, Myles' and KeithR's) that the ML got panned by both TAS and Stereophile. Of course, that doesn't constitute an universe, and Andre has shown a positive review from the UK. I just added the 2 US reviews with the "on the ground" reports I've got, and concluced it's just not a particularly good amp, that's all. If he wants to nitpick, I'll withdraw the "universally" part of my post, OK? So it was just "panned", not "universally panned". Parts of the globe actually liked the amp, so there ya go...

Second, I only wrote my impressions because Andre actually wrote a wrong FACT, about the Soulutions.

I'm OK with being wrong. My interest in this thread is that I want, someday, to be proven wrong (to my ears, of course), and that a Class D amp will actually sound good. Since I haven't heard of this one, I got interested. I've also read elsewhere that amps based on this Ncore module are somewhat better than the previous Class D stuff...

alexandre

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
First, it was my impression (and apparently, Myles' and KeithR's) that the ML got panned by both TAS and Stereophile. Of course, that doesn't constitute an universe, and Andre has shown a positive review from the UK. I just added the 2 US reviews with the "on the ground" reports I've got, and concluced it's just not a particularly good amp, that's all. If he wants to nitpick, I'll withdraw the "universally" part of my post, OK? So it was just "panned", not "universally panned". Parts of the globe actually liked the amp, so there ya go...

Second, I only wrote my impressions because Andre actually wrote a wrong FACT, about the Soulutions.

I'm OK with being wrong. My interest in this thread is that I want, someday, to be proven wrong (to my ears, of course), and that a Class D amp will actually sound good. Since I haven't heard of this one, I got interested. I've also read elsewhere that amps based on this Ncore module are somewhat better than the previous Class D stuff...

alexandre

alexandre, your post is appreciated.

I definitely think is prudent to not to condemn an entire technology without hearing the better examples and better implementations.

I am a tube guy, through and through, but I really enjoyed the Micromega and Rogue class D amps. So there you go...open ears...

Can you clarify Soulutions design?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Andre,

Soulution is Class A/B. In the old series 7 amps, they used linear PS. For the series 5 (cheaper), and now the updated series 7 amps, they went with switch mode PSes.
Not a Class D module in sight.

I like tubes as well, I just chose not to have any of them anymore :)

alexandre

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre,

Soulution is Class A/B. In the old series 7 amps, they used linear PS. For the series 5 (cheaper), and now the updated series 7 amps, they went with switch mode PSes.
Not a Class D module in sight.

I like tubes as well, I just chose not to have any of them anymore :)

alexandre

Gotcha. Thanks a bunch for the clarification.

hifial

Apr 7, 2013
I must give MHO on several of the previous posts.

1) Until you hear the Veritas in a long term listening demo do not throw stones at it for being Class D. I say long term because this way you will see it still sounds great even after the first listen.
2) I agree that the ML Class D amp does not sound very good. I have heard it a couple of times and it made me wince. Same with the ARC. Now maybe they can sound better if setup differently. And no it has not been universally panned, that would have to be 100%.
3) I agree that if the basic tech of the design of an amp is not good then it will not perform well but I disagree that the better footers, wiring, etc will not add to an improvement in the sound. It may in many instances.
4) If I had a $100.00 for every person who told me ALL CLASS D AMPS SOUND THE SAME AND ARE ONLY GOOD FOR SUBS AND CAR STEREO and then upon hearing the Veritas CHANGED their minds (and a good many now own it) I would have over $20,000.00 and counting. That is not counting any other Hypex Ncore NC1200 based amp. Or the DIY Ncore NC400 amps. I am not saying EVERYONE who heard them changed their mind but it is almost 100%. These are DIE HARD Tube and Class A amp lovers.
5) The NC1200 amps play nice with almost any speaker that I know of. I am sure there will be a few that might be a problem but there is not an amp that will play well with ALL speakers.
6) I also would like to see a review of the new Audience NC1200 based amps. But at 50% more costly $$$ then the Veritas what is the point of a comparison?! Well if the Veritas sound as good people can save some money. If the Audience sounds better, I hope so for the extra money, then those who can spend the extra money can make a choice.
A better and more fair comparison of the Audience amps would be the Mola-Mola amps.

I want to be clear, I HAVE NO FINANCIAL OR ANY OTHER GAIN IN HYPEX OR MERRILL AUDIO.
I am a fan of both companies. I know Merrill from a couple of Audio Clubs we both belong to in the NY/NJ Metro Area. And there are several other OEM, some well known, that are also members, as are some reviewers, some of who post here. I bought a pair of the Veritas. My money is hard earned and I am VERY particular how I spend it. When I come across a new Audio product that I think people should know about I try and let others know. Unfortunately that is not often. But here are some. The NEW Stillpoints Ultra. The Lynx Hilo DAC (heard it in a friends system and made me want one). The new cables from High Fidelity. All of these are new, or will be in the case of the Lynx, in my system and I will be giving my impressions in the weeks to come both on here and other sites.

I urge you to try several of the new amps based on the Hypex Ncore NC1200. I say several because I can only attest to the Mola-Mola, DIY NC400 and the Veritas as being worth the time to demo.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I must give MHO on several of the previous posts.

1) Until you hear the Veritas in a long term listening demo do not throw stones at it for being Class D. I say long term because this way you will see it still sounds great even after the first listen.
2) I agree that the ML Class D amp does not sound very good. I have heard it a couple of times and it made me wince. Same with the ARC. Now maybe they can sound better if setup differently. And no it has not been universally panned, that would have to be 100%.
3) I agree that if the basic tech of the design of an amp is not good then it will not perform well but I disagree that the better footers, wiring, etc will not add to an improvement in the sound. It may in many instances.
4) If I had a $100.00 for every person who told me ALL CLASS D AMPS SOUND THE SAME AND ARE ONLY GOOD FOR SUBS AND CAR STEREO and then upon hearing the Veritas CHANGED their minds (and a good many now own it) I would have over $20,000.00 and counting. That is not counting any other Hypex Ncore NC1200 based amp. Or the DIY Ncore NC400 amps. I am not saying EVERYONE who heard them changed their mind but it is almost 100%. These are DIE HARD Tube and Class A amp lovers.
5) The NC1200 amps play nice with almost any speaker that I know of. I am sure there will be a few that might be a problem but there is not an amp that will play well with ALL speakers.
6) I also would like to see a review of the new Audience NC1200 based amps. But at 50% more costly $$$ then the Veritas what is the point of a comparison?! Well if the Veritas sound as good people can save some money. If the Audience sounds better, I hope so for the extra money, then those who can spend the extra money can make a choice.
A better and more fair comparison of the Audience amps would be the Mola-Mola amps.

I want to be clear, I HAVE NO FINANCIAL OR ANY OTHER GAIN IN HYPEX OR MERRILL AUDIO.
I am a fan of both companies. I know Merrill from a couple of Audio Clubs we both belong to in the NY/NJ Metro Area. And there are several other OEM, some well known, that are also members, as are some reviewers, some of who post here. I bought a pair of the Veritas. My money is hard earned and I am VERY particular how I spend it. When I come across a new Audio product that I think people should know about I try and let others know. Unfortunately that is not often. But here are some. The NEW Stillpoints Ultra. The Lynx Hilo DAC (heard it in a friends system and made me want one). The new cables from High Fidelity. All of these are new, or will be in the case of the Lynx, in my system and I will be giving my impressions in the weeks to come both on here and other sites.

I urge you to try several of the new amps based on the Hypex Ncore NC1200. I say several because I can only attest to the Mola-Mola, DIY NC400 and the Veritas as being worth the time to demo.

Hello hifial. Welcome aboard.

Thanks for posting. Great job of summarizing all prior posts. Having had the Veritas monos in my system for several weeks now, I can tell you my opinion
of them is overwhelmingly positive. Note I am tube lover, so the fact they have my attention is interesting indeed.

I agree that to judge ANY audio product soley based on design, topology, or theory is folly. Thanks again for your contribution.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI

Gee, your first post on WBF, and you're taking about the Veritas amps.....what a surprise....

The point of the comparison: unlike the Veritas and Mola-Mola amps, Audience designed their own input circuitry, added their own input transformer and their aR-TSpower conditioner rather than just put some stock NC1200 modules in a box.

It would be interesting to see if these upgrades make a difference.

hifial

Apr 7, 2013
Thanks Andre for the welcome. I appreciate it.

Gee Dan, what is your point. And what a surprise that you seem to be so bothered by my post. Is there some kind of LAW that I can not post about something I am a fan of and you and your like must throw innuendo when I do. Maybe that is why I find it a bother to post and end up not adding to the discussions.

If you bothered to read between the lines (?!) I feel it is worth the comparison just that it should be understood that there is a huge price difference when one compares the difference in sound performance, if any.
You are wrong about the Mola-Mola as THEY ARE the ONES who DESIGNED the Ncore NC1200. So they should have a little insight into the INPUT CIRCUITRY don't you think.

Look, if you can buy the NC1200 and put it in your own box go for it. BUT since you can not and Hypex decides who can and at what minimum cost then move on. Yes I give Audience credit for their effort but not everyone can spend 18,000.00. So it is nice that there is a less expansive way of getting the sound that the Ncore NC1200 can produce. I hope that the Audience amps sound great. And if they do and I can ever afford them I will be a potential buyer.

All I know is that the Veritas sounds great (the best I have heard at that price) and I could care less if there is or is not a super duper input/output stage. All that matters to me is the sound.

Now can we all play nice and show it each other some respect and courtesy. We are all here to enjoy this hobby.

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
For what its worth, I built 4 X of the DIY NC400 (NCORE) amps not too long ago. They are being used in a quad amp setup powering my B&W 803Di2 towers. My previous amp was a PASS Labs X250.

My impression of the NCORE has been positive enough for me to put my beloved PASS Labs X250 up for sale which is something I never thought I would do.

Class D has come a long way indeed!

I don't care how deep your pockets are, everyone owes it to themselves to hear these with unbiased ears.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
For what its worth, I built 4 X of the DIY NC400 (NCORE) amps not too long ago. They are being used in a quad amp setup powering my B&W 803Di2 towers. My previous amp was a PASS Labs X250.

My impression of the NCORE has been positive enough for me to put my beloved PASS Labs X250 up for sale which is something I never thought I would do.

Class D has come a long way indeed!

I don't care how deep your pockets are, everyone owes it to themselves to hear these with unbiased ears.

Selling the Pass?...woah...

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
the NCORE modules are a big step forward from amps based on the early ICE modules that ive owned (Bel canto, Rowland). i was very impressed with the NCORE based Mola Mola amps driving vivd giyas at the NB show, SOTA imo.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing