In For Review: The Merill Audio Veritas Monoblocks..interesting...

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
ALL flagship gear is sold at deep discounts as soon as it leaves the showroom..applies to Magico, Focal, Levinson, CJ, etc.

I don't think it says anything about the sound quality. There are toys for big boys...look at JTinn's famous traded in Q7's.

Don't get me wrong. I am not defending the No.53. I have heard it a few times, I was addressing the sweeping comment about it being "universally panned", which I proved, is untrue.

Then why was it left out of the "best of 2012" edition of TAS (or some other such kind of issue) ???
obviously Harley didn't have Framer's balls to call it as it is, but very subtly he made it clear the ML is simply not that good...

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Then why was it left out of the "best of 2012" edition of TAS (or some other such kind of issue) ???
obviously Harley didn't have Framer's balls to call it as it is, but very subtly he made it clear the ML is simply not that good...

LOL..Mikey is not beholden to anybody..you got that right....:D

NMMark1962

Jun 29, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
Are you under some sort of impression that reviewers have a storage facility they can just pull any speaker or amp out of and "compare" it to what is under review?

Even Michael Fremer, who deals in SOTA owns ONE pair of speakers, and can only compare what is under review to what just left (strictly through memory), and his one reference.

+1!!!!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
ALL flagship gear is sold at deep discounts as soon as it leaves the showroom..applies to Magico, Focal, Levinson, CJ, etc.

I don't think it says anything about the sound quality. There are toys for big boys...look at JTinn's famous traded in Q7's.

Don't get me wrong. I am not defending the No.53. I have heard it a few times, I was addressing the sweeping comment about it being "universally panned", which I proved, is untrue.

I'm curious. What do you define as a deep discount?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Actually was anyone else puzzled by Harley's conclusions not equating to what he said in the review? I remember him criticizing several areas most specifically about it being bright and that would be a non-starter right there for me.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Subtly? Only for people who do not enjoy strings or can not read ... I would never refer to this review to promote the ML53. ;)

Most people report that class D amplifiers should be used with adequate speakers - perhaps the system was not the proper one for this test. We had similar opinions on the Devialet, and the advice of happy owners was that we should match it with appropriate speakers.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

Another rave review. Only ding was on price.

The No 53s proved to be more than capable at reproducing the true weight and emotion of a performance. The No 53s are very smooth, incredibly refined and unflappable at seemingly any volume, though they seem, at times, a bit too composed. The soundstage was impressive to say the least, possessing natural depth and width as well as detail and space between the various instruments themselves.

http://hometheaterreview.com/mark-levinson-no-53-hybrid-digital-power-amplifier-reviewed/

And another:

VERDICT
Playing all manner of favourites showcased the explosive capabilities of the amp, yet it always remained composed and delicate as required. Is the No53 the best power amp ever to bear the Mark Levinson insignia? There’s certainly no colourful romance, but a seductive subtlety and finesse – not to mention truly breathtaking dynamics, with power to spare.

http://www.hifinews.co.uk/news/article/mark-levinson-no53-pound;20000/9384

So the idea of it being "universally panned" has been debunked.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Sure, whatever you say, Andre... It's still a crappy product, that not even "awards-happy" TAS had the guts to feature on their awards issue.

alexandre

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010

You don't see a gap between "universally panned" and not included in one publication's best of list?

Tim

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Read the original post, Tim.
TAS was one of the magazines that panned it. Michael Fremer @ Stereophile gave a strongly negative review.
I've seen people buy them and sell within a fortnight.
NOBODY (except those who sell it) liked this amp.

alexandre

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I've read the whole thread, alexander. I've not heard the amp and have no opinion, but it seems like you and devert are insisting that everyone agrees with your opinions. And it looks to me like Andre has provided evidence that you're wrong. It's ok to be wrong. Really. And it's ok if everyone doesn't agree with your opinion. It's still your opinion; it's still valid as such.

Tim

hiroshige

Feb 13, 2011

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Read the original post, Tim.
TAS was one of the magazines that panned it. Michael Fremer @ Stereophile gave a strongly negative review.
I've seen people buy them and sell within a fortnight.
NOBODY (except those who sell it) liked this amp.

alexandre

alexandre..to be clear..I am not defending the ML No53. Only heard it once with Revel...

I just don't know what it has to do with the Merill Audio Veritas amps I am listening to now which
sound very, very good to me.

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
alexandre..to be clear..I am not defending the ML No53. Only heard it once with Revel...

I just don't know what it has to do with the Merill Audio Veritas amps I am listening to know which
sound very, very good to me.

Both Class D. Class D bad.

Tim

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Actually was anyone else puzzled by Harley's conclusions not equating to what he said in the review? I remember him criticizing several areas most specifically about it being bright and that would be a non-starter right there for me.

Yes, you are correct Myles. It was a total read in between the lines less than stellar review that people need to re-read again.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/mark-levinson-no53-monoblock-power-amplifier-tas-213-1/

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
I've read the whole thread, alexander. I've not heard the amp and have no opinion, but it seems like you and devert are insisting that everyone agrees with your opinions. And it looks to me like Andre has provided evidence that you're wrong. It's ok to be wrong. Really. And it's ok if everyone doesn't agree with your opinion. It's still your opinion; it's still valid as such.

Tim

Where am I insisting that everyone agree with my opinion?

I suggested that Andre compare the Merill amps to the Audience amps which use the same Ncore modules.

If he doesn't feel the need to that, it's fine with me.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing