Innuos Pulsar ????

Lukasaudio78

Aug 21, 2022
I'm as well curious to know more from real users, real feedbacks about Pulsar streamer. What power cords were used, and how Pulsar reacts to power cords, USB cables, etc. Thanks @PaulB for a private, detailed explanation about your Puslar and Grimm Mu1, just Grimm Mu1 should be compared to the same shelf units Statement mk2 and newly released Aries G3 I suppose.

I'm in search of a new streamer for up to 6000 USD, so Pulsar, Lumin u2 (non mini) and Aries G2.2 in my list. According to public info not fair to make statements, but seems Pulsar is a very promising streamer for such price and for who does not need more outputs, nor SFP for fiber.

PaulB

Jan 22, 2020
Minneapolis, Minnesota
analog.audio
I'm as well curious to know more from real users, real feedbacks about Pulsar streamer. What power cords were used, and how Pulsar reacts to power cords, USB cables, etc. Thanks @PaulB for a private, detailed explanation about your Puslar and Grimm Mu1, just Grimm Mu1 should be compared to the same shelf units Statement mk2 and newly released Aries G3 I suppose.

I'm in search of a new streamer for up to 6000 USD, so Pulsar, Lumin u2 (non mini) and Aries G2.2 in my list. According to public info not fair to make statements, but seems Pulsar is a very promising streamer for such price and for who does not need more outputs, nor SFP for fiber.
thanks for the kind words. If your budget is $6K and you are content with USB only, it will be tough to beat the Pulsar.

Reactions: Sunra and CKKeung

naim

Mar 6, 2019
Italy
Streaming to the Pulsar can be done either by its own dedicated app (Sense), Roon, HQPlayer or LMS.

I take the opportunity for a clarification: using only a local music library contained in a NAS (about 18TB), can the Pulsar be an ideal streamer? To date I'm using a Bryston BDP-2 and would have thought of the new Pulsar as an upgrade.

Many Thanks
Roberto

tedwoods

Dec 14, 2021
I take the opportunity for a clarification: using only a local music library contained in a NAS (about 18TB), can the Pulsar be an ideal streamer? To date I'm using a Bryston BDP-2 and would have thought of the new Pulsar as an upgrade.

Many Thanks
Roberto
Hi Roberto,

Sorry, I forgot to mention this functionality, but the Pulsar does that too.

I also have a small NAS (1TB only...) to store material from rare CD's that I have or ones that are not available on line.

Music from the NAS and streaming services can be integrated in the Pulsar library should you wish so.

In my case, I use a switch to connect the NAS to and also a filter before the streamer to good effect.

Cheers,

Ted

naim

Mar 6, 2019
Italy
Ted...I see that you also have a PhoenixUSB, will you also use it with the Pulsar which contains one inside? I guess it is no longer necessary, and that the new Pulsar has to be connected directly to a dac.

Regards
Roberto

tedwoods

Dec 14, 2021
Ted...I see that you also have a PhoenixUSB, will you also use it with the Pulsar which contains one inside? I guess it is no longer necessary, and that the new Pulsar has to be connected directly to a dac.

Regards
Roberto
I don't have the PhoenixUSB...
I have the PhoenixNET, the Innuos switch.
Indeed, the Pulsar can be connected directly to the DAC without the need for additional USB reclockers.

Vangelis

Oct 11, 2011
This my experience regarding the Pulsar. The Pulsar sounds good. Does it sound better than my old limited edition $7K Zenth MKII? The Pulsar is a bit bolder, with more meat on the bones and authority. That being said, I was given the impression last fall that the onboard Phoenix light within the Pulsar should provide most of the benefit that already existed from my PhoenixUSB and that I wouldn't likely need to continue to keep my PhoenixUSB. There was speculation that adding the Phoenix USB, to the output of the Phoenix light, would actually make it sound worse, and this turned out to be correct, the Phoenix lite output the PhoenixUSB just makes a mess of the music. In A/B comparison between the outputs PhoenixUSB and Phoenix light, the difference was immediately obvious. Unfortunately, the PhoenixUSB continues to absolutely required to realize the best Innuos sound, at least from my Pulsar and Zenith Special Edition. The presentation from the PhoenixUSB is still way more compelling than Phoenix lite, with a greater rhythmic pace, clarity and an unwrapping of the harmonics that just makes the music more understandable and engaging. I was really hoping to simplify my front end, and ditch my PhoenixUSB, the second USB cable and a power cord, the dollar math is not very attractive.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Did someone compare:

Pulse + Phoenix USB
vs
Pulsar

Thx

Matt

b345t

May 10, 2020
This my experience regarding the Pulsar. The Pulsar sounds good. Does it sound better than my old limited edition $7K Zenth MKII? The Pulsar is a bit bolder, with more meat on the bones and authority. That being said, I was given the impression last fall that the onboard Phoenix light within the Pulsar should provide most of the benefit that already existed from my PhoenixUSB and that I wouldn't likely need to continue to keep my PhoenixUSB. There was speculation that adding the Phoenix USB, to the output of the Phoenix light, would actually make it sound worse, and this turned out to be correct, the Phoenix lite output the PhoenixUSB just makes a mess of the music. In A/B comparison between the outputs PhoenixUSB and Phoenix light, the difference was immediately obvious. Unfortunately, the PhoenixUSB continues to absolutely required to realize the best Innuos sound, at least from my Pulsar and Zenith Special Edition. The presentation from the PhoenixUSB is still way more compelling than Phoenix lite, with a greater rhythmic pace, clarity and an unwrapping of the harmonics that just makes the music more understandable and engaging. I was really hoping to simplify my front end, and ditch my PhoenixUSB, the second USB cable and a power cord, the dollar math is not very attractive.
Hi Vangelis, maybe I am understanding something wrong in your post. At the start you mention that adding the Phoenix USB 'makes a mess of the music.' Then after you mention that for the best sound, you still need to have the Phoenix in the chain?

tedwoods

Dec 14, 2021
Hi Vangelis,
What is your methodology when attempting to compare the Phoenix USB to the Phoenix lite?
Are you running a USB cable from the USB ports on the back of the Pulsar to the Phoenix USB (effectively by-passing the Phoenix lite) and comparing that with the direct output from the Pulsar to the DAC?
Running the output from the Phoenix lite in to the Phoenix USB should -among other things- be increasing latency, so the less than stellar results are more or less to be expected, I guess.
Cheers,
Ted

Reactions: Lukasaudio78

tedwoods

Dec 14, 2021
Did someone compare:

Pulse + Phoenix USB
vs
Pulsar

Thx

Matt
The USB ports on the Pulse are more or less "utility" ports.
The "main attraction" on the Pulse, besides the linear power supply, is the D to D converter.
It would be a pity for someone to get a Pulse and not use that.
You can of course compare, but it seems to me this would be more of a "tactical" comparison, than a totally "meaningful" one.:)
The same would also seem to apply to the methodology I have hinted at in the post above.

Reactions: Lukasaudio78

Vule

Jan 23, 2021
Europe
HIFI Rose RS 130. Will it be a better buy? Has anyone had a chance to compare two streamers?

Lukasaudio78

Aug 21, 2022
RS 130 is similar price range and sits on the same shelf with Pulsar, Lumin U2 (non mini), Auralic Aries G2.2, but it's just recently released so barely somebody had a chance to test RS130 and especially compared it to Pulsar sonically.

On practical side, Rose has much more outputs (including I2S!), big screen, for me personally better external design, an additional Fiber optic Ethernet port, Fiber USB (whatever it means), External clock upgrade possibility to even more improve sound later.

On sound aspect the Innuos range is the classic demonstration of just how much difference only the power supply and the whole implementation of designed influence sound of a streamer/server. Pulsar is one of good example in its price range with high quality LPS and triple rails for clean power of motherboard, USB output, SSD cache, as well mechanically isolated OCXO clock from magnetic fields and other things.

As already stated, home demo trumps everyone else's opinions.

Reactions: CKKeung and Vule

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
The USB ports on the Pulse are more or less "utility" ports.
These "utility" USB ports seem to be about the same on Pulse and Pulsar.
Now @Vangelis reported in post #27 that connecting Phoenix USB to Pulsar sounds better than the Phoenix lite output of Pulsar. I assume that @Vangelis connected the Phoenix USB to one of the "utility" ports since connecting the Phoenix USB to the Phoenix lite output of the Pulsar was worse. IIUC, this was also your assumption in post #30.
So it might be that Pulse + Phoenix USB sound better than the Phoenix lite output of Pulsar. The combo is only a little bit more expensive than the Pulsar.

Matt

Last edited:

tedwoods

Dec 14, 2021
These "utility" USB ports seem to be about the same on Pulse and Pulsar.
Now @Vangelis reported in post #27 that connecting Phoenix USB to Pulsar sounds better than the Phoenix lite output of Pulsar. I assume that @Vangelis connected the Phoenix USB to one of the "utility" ports since connecting the Phoenix USB to the Phoenix lite output of the Pulsar was worse. IIUC, this was also your assumption in post #30.
So it might be that Pulse + Phoenix USB sound better than the Phoenix lite output of Pulsar. The combo is only a little bit more expensive than the Pulsar.

Matt
Hi Matt,

Yes, that was my original assumption too.
Now, the ports on the Pulse and Pulsar are just ports on the motherboard.
To be more precise, Innuos calls them (in their Pulsar Quick Start Guide): "Auxiliary Ports-for backup and future use".
Back-up, I understand, but "future use" is something new: it might mean that with a software upgrade we could use these ports to connect a pen drive or something and play files through there, which would be a useful functionality.
However, Pulsar has a far more elaborate power supply and overall design refinements than the Pulse, so I doubt it if Pulse + Phoenix USB could outperform it.
Please, let me reiterate, since I've had the Pulse and I now have the Pulsar:
When I first got the Pulse, I was initially using it through the said USB ports.
I later realised that the sound through the spdif out was leaps and bounds better.
Why? Because inside the Pulse there's a dedicated D to D converter board for spdif and it sounds just lovely.
If your DAC has a spdif input it would be a shame not to use that.
Now, the Pulsar I have now sounds much better than the Pulse through the said USB ports.
How do I know?
Well, it's a bit embarrassing really, but when I first got the Pulsar and since I have my gear inside a cabinet I have asked my daughter to connect the one end of the USB cable to the Pulsar while I was struggling to connect the other end to the DAC.
"Mission accomplished!" she muttered and I sat down to marvel at my new Pulsar (which I did BTW), only to realise later that she had not connected the USB cable at the dedicated port but to one of the auxiliary ports instead.
Still, the sound wasn't half as bad.... which would indicate that the power supply magic on its own (without the help of the Phoenix lite) is enough to exert a discernable difference.
Only Pulsar + Phoenix USB could potentially outperform the Pulsar on its own, as @Vangelis might have suggested (at this stage, I can only assume that was what he tried), but this is something for braver souls than mine.
It's funny I haven't actually have had the chance to write anything about the Pulsar before delving into this conversation, but maybe it's time to say it's an absolutely amazing piece of kit and although I initially wanted to wait and not jump in early (as I am not a huge USB believer and wanted to wait for other modules to be released first), I am nevertheless glad I did.
Personally, my USB concerns are completely lifted (it might also help that Lampizator has a superb USB implementation) and I'm a happy camper!
I have personally found the upper harmonics to be particularly extended, natural and engaging, an area where @Vangelis had exerted some criticism.
Apart from that, the Pulsar has a stronger dynamic nature, pace and bass heft, but also tremendous bass detail.
In fact, I have never been able to follow bass lines as easily as with the Pulsar.
There is also an apparent timing correctness: in some equipment you may feel that the drummer has a mild case of spastic paraplegia, when he does the hi-hat to rim thing, but on the Pulsar he seems to be cured all of of a sudden! :)
More, when the Pulsar fully breaks in (which judging from the Pulse will take a lot of time, probably more since there are more capacitors in the power supply and an OCXO clock).

Cheers,

Ted

Last edited:

b345t

May 10, 2020
I am currently using a Zen mk3 and have been looking to upgrade for a while. I wish the Pulsar had an internal hd for local files. This is the only reason I am hesitant to go for one. I believe Innuos will upgrade the Zen/Zenith line next with internal storage, cd rips etc. My internally stored files sound quite a bit better than streaming (same mastering etc). So my question is to Pulsar users, have you tried connecting a hard drive with saved files to a utility usb port and compared the sound vs streaming? Thanks

tedwoods

Dec 14, 2021
I am currently using a Zen mk3 and have been looking to upgrade for a while. I wish the Pulsar had an internal hd for local files. This is the only reason I am hesitant to go for one. I believe Innuos will upgrade the Zen/Zenith line next with internal storage, cd rips etc. My internally stored files sound quite a bit better than streaming (same mastering etc). So my question is to Pulsar users, have you tried connecting a hard drive with saved files to a utility usb port and compared the sound vs streaming? Thanks
At the moment, this functionality doesn't exist.
What you can do however is stream from a NAS to the Pulsar and even integrate these NAS files into your library (should you wish to).
You can of course also use the Zen as a NAS and add the Pulse or Pulsar as a streamer only device.
In essence, what that does is effectively breaking down the server/streamer tasks between two machines.
Given the fact that the Zen server has a pretty advanced server topology (pull vs push) and the Pulse series can make use of that adding their own advances, the sound quality will most likely be enhanced.
The two machines can also be close to each other, connected with only a short ethernet cable (if one does not want to go through a switch and such).

Reactions: b345t

b345t

May 10, 2020
What you can do however is stream from a NAS to the Pulsar and even integrate these NAS files into your library (should you wish to).

The two machines can also be close to each other, connected with only a short ethernet cable (if one does not want to go through a switch and such).
Hi thanks for your reply. Have you compared files stored on a NAS connected with ethernet (via switch) and streaming the same file?

tedwoods

Dec 14, 2021
Hi thanks for your reply. Have you compared files stored on a NAS connected with ethernet (via switch) and streaming the same file?
No, I haven't unfortunately, since I only use the NAS for playing files that are not available in Tidal, but I could always try...

Reactions: b345t

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing