Innuos Pulsar ????

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Track after track I preferred the Pulsar via Qobuz to my stored FLAC files.

Are flac files high resolution files? If yes, do you have a theory as to why this would be?

vermaxis

Jul 3, 2023
Are flac files high resolution files? If yes, do you have a theory as to why this would be?
No, all of the FLAC files that I compared were redbook, nothing hi res.

When I had my dCS Rossini APEX, I noticed a distinct difference using the Rossini to stream Qobuz via the network vs. playing the stored FLAC files on my NAS. Much like my experience with the Pulsar, I also preferred the Rossini.

The only thing that I haven’t really noticed a difference on is when I use the Zen Mini S to stream via Qobuz or play locally stored files. Those sound virtually identical to me.

l_santista

Aug 5, 2023
Thanks!
what do you mean by "standalone mode vs. an endpoint"? I only stream qobuz/tidal with HQP and roon, so I understanding the streamer would be at least (an NAA) endpoint

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
No, all of the FLAC files that I compared were redbook, nothing hi res.

Maybe compare Qobuz to high resolution local files? (I have no dog in this hunt. I was simply curious and asking because many people report preferring high resolution local files to streaming.)

harsheel_dbs

Mar 12, 2020
Thanks!
what do you mean by "standalone mode vs. an endpoint"? I only stream qobuz/tidal with HQP and roon, so I understanding the streamer would be at least (an NAA) endpoint
Innuos Servers can be used as either as a one-box Roon Core/Endpoint (Standalone) or as just a Roon Endpoint if you have a separate Roon Core.

Di-fi

Feb 17, 2021
Thanks!
Please allow me to add to the above:

In Endpoint mode, the Innuos device exclusively focuses on playing music to only one device (DAC), conserving resources such as processing power and dedicating the very good Sean Jacobs linear power supply only to 'playing' music files. There is virtually nothing allocated to server processing, and in certain models nothing (or only) to a local SSD or clock for example.

Conversely, in Standalone mode, the device allocates processing and power resources between the server and player functions. Now it can also play to more than one endpoint and also has to process that traffic. This difference is why there's a strong probability of achieving better sound quality (SQ) when operating in Endpoint mode.

image_2023-08-14_201426750.png

Last edited:

Di-fi

Feb 17, 2021
Please allow me to add to the above:

In Endpoint mode, the Innuos device exclusively focuses on playing music to only one device (DAC), conserving resources such as processing power and dedicating the very good Sean Jacobs linear power supply only to 'playing' music files. There is virtually nothing allocated to server processing, and in certain models nothing (or only) to a local SSD or clock for example.

Conversely, in Standalone mode, the device allocates processing and power resources between the server and player functions. Here it also can play to more than one endpoint and has to process that traffic. This difference is why there's a strong probability of achieving better sound quality (SQ) when operating in Endpoint mode.

View attachment 115033

If you're exclusively using your Innuos device for playing local files rather than streaming, aside from experimenting with the Endpoint mode, consider giving the Offline Mode a try. This could potentially lead to an additional improvement in sound quality.

And don't worry, using Offline Mode won't disconnect your controlling device's connection. ;)

Innuos_Stdn_Endpoint2.jpg

Last edited:

auricgoldfinger

Dec 8, 2019
I am happy to report that Innuos has solved the issue of 705.6/768KHz WAV files not playing in standalone mode using Sense after Nuno made a few code tweaks in a remote session this morning. I am now able to play all files using Sense in standalone mode as opposed to using HQP to serve files to the Pulsar in endpoint mode. Not only has the sound quality improved, but I no longer get network dropouts. Overall, the user experience is greatly improved. I am now 100% satisfied.

Di-fi

Feb 17, 2021
able to play all files using Sense in standalone mode
To recap:

For the best SQ in your setup you can now stream 24bit/768KHz PGGB wav files from your NAS to the Pulsar in standalone mode.

Did you by any chance try Offline Mode?
Do you use ground/change fuse or anything like that?

I am sure your network (upstream) setup, including and between NAS and Pulsar contributes greatly to obtain the desired SQ from the PGGB files. Given your track record you probably already shared the details somewhere. If so, would you mind sharing again (or through a link)?

Thanks!

Last edited:

auricgoldfinger

Dec 8, 2019
For the best SQ in your setup you can now stream 24bit/768KHz PGGB wav files from your NAS to the Pulsar in standalone mode.

Correct

Did you by any chance try Offline Mode?
Do you use ground/change fuse or anything like that?

I haven't done careful A/B testing of Offline Mode since you first mentioned it, but at first blush, I find Offline Mode to be slightly preferable. I'm not sure if I could consistently pick the correct setting in blind testing.

I am sure your network (upstream) setup, including and between NAS and Pulsar contributes greatly to obtain the desired SQ from the PGGB files. Given your track record you probably already shared the details somewhere. If so, would you mind sharing again (or through a link)?

Here is a description of the setup. As you can see, I prioritize power and grounding. Sorry, no diagram available.

Router powered by Farad3 (SR purple fuse) with Audio Sensibility Signature DC cable + QSA Lanedri DC extension cable and grounded to CAD GC1. QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation PC.

NAS powered by SR7T (SR purple fuse) with Audio Sensibility Signature Silver DC cable and grounded to CAD GC1. SR blue high current PC.

QSA Lanedri Gamma Infinity Ethernet cable (video version) with QSA Horn LAN jitter (wall direct to Pulsar)

Pulsar with QSA silver digital fuse. Ground connection port grounded to SR Active Ground Block SE with QSA silver fuse. Unused Ethernet, HDMI, and USB ports also grounded. QSA Lanedri Gamma Infinity PC.

Last edited:

Di-fi

Feb 17, 2021
Sorry, no diagram available.
Certainly an impressive setup, superior to any diagram!
It appears that both the NAS and Pulsar are connected to the router using a QSA Lanedri Gamma Infinity Ethernet cable?
You use no switch but the router has wifi to enable a tablet as control point I assume.

Thank you, @auricgoldfinger, for providing such detailed insights. Your thoughtful approach seems to optimize every aspect, from connections and power to grounding, fuses, and cables. Your Pulsar setup must sound truly exceptional.;). Enjoy!

Last edited:

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden

On my journey towards a new digital setup I got the opportunity to try the Innuos PULSAR in my home, I’ve been playing with it for a couple of days now and I must say that I actually like it a lot! I was looking forward to the PULSAR for a long time as it on paper looked very interesting and to an attractive price, but then my plans went in another direction and I wanted to aim even higher. I’m thankful that I still got this chance to play with it though, and it has impressed me so far! It is a very likeable product I think.

Of course there’s always more to wish for, it could have been nice with internal storage, possibility to run Roon Server, and a full fledged PhoenixUSB implementation or even other outputs. But, who would then buy the Statement? Instead we get a quite purpose built network streamer which does one thing very good and in a very user friendly and simple way without costing a fortune. I'm also looking forward to see other output modules in the future.

As I haven’t sold my Innuos PhoenixUSB yet I had the possibility to test that with the PULSAR as well, and it’s a nice add-on for sure, but that’s what PhoenixUSB is to more or less any streamer in this price range and well above, and don’t forget that PhoenixUSB is more than half the price of the entire PULSAR! Looking at it that way I don’t think it’s so bad to have a PhoenixUSB Light implementation in the PULSAR and it sounds absolutely fine on it’s own. I actually like the simplicity of the PULSAR on it's own.

When it comes to navigate my music I like that Innuos allows the user to choose between not only Innuos Sense and Roon (endpoint) but also HQPlayer which is very nice to see in a streamer like this. HQPlayer might not be for everyone but it can be a lot of fun to play around with and together with the right DAC the sound quality improvement achieved can be quite something. While most other manufacturers own software is quite bad or simply not my cup of tea, Innuos Sense is not Roon but it is actually quite okay and I could probably live with it. Today I realised that when using Innuos Sense I can also navigate the music from my web browser which is quite handy for someone like me who is sitting in front of a computer all days long.

Of course PULSAR is not in the same league as Taiko Extreme, Pink Faun, Aurender top models or even the Innuos Statement, but in the middle class segment it’s definitely a nice option which is difficult to NOT like. Usually it comes down to a budget and how much you’re willing to spend on something and I believe this is where Innuos PULSAR is spot on, if you’re not ready to take the step towards the higher league, but still want to go beyond those entry level streamers, Innuos PULSAR is likely as good as it gets right now. I probably wouldn’t mind making a stop here on my own journey... we’ll see what the future holds! :)

Last edited:

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
I am currently using a Zen mk3 and have been looking to upgrade for a while. I wish the Pulsar had an internal hd for local files. This is the only reason I am hesitant to go for one. I believe Innuos will upgrade the Zen/Zenith line next with internal storage, cd rips etc. My internally stored files sound quite a bit better than streaming (same mastering etc). So my question is to Pulsar users, have you tried connecting a hard drive with saved files to a utility usb port and compared the sound vs streaming? Thanks
I don't think the Zenith mk 3, which I own, will be next in line for upgrade. It seems their flagship Statement will likely be next if one believes in trickle down technology which makes sense to me. I run my Zenith with PhoenixUSB, LHY Audio SW-8 switch and a fiber ethernet media converter feed by a linear power supply . The results to my ears are fantastic. To beat this would require a significantly "improved" Statement. I also agree with many that the Sense App is fabulous for stability, SQ, ease of use. I do own a lifetime Roon player but IMO it sounds worse and has got way to complicated in what it does. Innuos has impressed me with their no nonsense operating system and music player. They are easy to use, stable, and don't try to include the kitchen sink like Roon. This is a very measured company that prefers sound engineering over marketing.

Reactions: harsheel_dbs

harsheel_dbs

Mar 12, 2020
I don't think the Zenith mk 3, which I own, will be next in line for upgrade. It seems their flagship Statement will likely be next if one believes in trickle down technology which makes sense to me. I run my Zenith with PhoenixUSB, LHY Audio SW-8 switch and a fiber ethernet media converter feed by a linear power supply . The results to my ears are fantastic. To beat this would require a significantly "improved" Statement. I also agree with many that the Sense App is fabulous for stability, SQ, ease of use. I do own a lifetime Roon player but IMO it sounds worse and has got way to complicated in what it does. Innuos has impressed me with their no nonsense operating system and music player. They are easy to use, stable, and don't try to include the kitchen sink like Roon. This is a very measured company that prefers sound engineering over marketing.

In what order did you implement the Zenith, Phoenix, Switch + FMC? I am curious as I have a Zenith and not sure what to upgrade first, the upstream networking or the downstream USB.

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
In what order did you implement the Zenith, Phoenix, Switch + FMC? I am curious as I have a Zenith and not sure what to upgrade first, the upstream networking or the downstream USB.
I bought the Zenith and Phoenix together. They replaced a Mac mini with a Gaia DDC. The change was positive but on the 10-15% level. I then added the rest. Again change was positive but smaller, say 5%. In sum I think improvement was quite positive but not "night and day" as Darko likes to spoof.

Reactions: harsheel_dbs

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
@harsheel_dbs , One last caveat. From what I've read the Phoenix's impact is a function of your DAC's usb implementation. If your DAC has a well implemented USB input the Phoenix will have less of an impact.

Di-fi

Feb 17, 2021
On my journey towards a new digital setup I got the opportunity to try the Innuos PULSAR in my home, I’ve been playing with it for a couple of days now and I must say that I actually like it a lot! I was looking forward to the PULSAR for a long time as it on paper looked very interesting and to an attractive price, but then my plans went in another direction and I wanted to aim even higher. I’m thankful that I still got this chance to play with it though, and it has impressed me so far! It is a very likeable product I think.

Of course there’s always more to wish for, it could have been nice with internal storage, possibility to run Roon Server, and a full fledged PhoenixUSB implementation or even other outputs. But, who would then buy the Statement? Instead we get a quite purpose built network streamer which does one thing very good and in a very user friendly and simple way without costing a fortune. I'm also looking forward to see other output modules in the future.

As I haven’t sold my Innuos PhoenixUSB yet I had the possibility to test that with the PULSAR as well, and it’s a nice add-on for sure, but that’s what PhoenixUSB is to more or less any streamer in this price range and well above, and don’t forget that PhoenixUSB is more than half the price of the entire PULSAR! Looking at it that way I don’t think it’s so bad to have a PhoenixUSB Light implementation in the PULSAR and it sounds absolutely fine on it’s own. I actually like the simplicity of the PULSAR on it's own.

When it comes to navigate my music I like that Innuos allows the user to choose between not only Innuos Sense and Roon (endpoint) but also HQPlayer which is very nice to see in a streamer like this. HQPlayer might not be for everyone but it can be a lot of fun to play around with and together with the right DAC the sound quality improvement achieved can be quite something. While most other manufacturers own software is quite bad or simply not my cup of tea, Innuos Sense is not Roon but it is actually quite okay and I could probably live with it. Today I realised that when using Innuos Sense I can also navigate the music from my web browser which is quite handy for someone like me who is sitting in front of a computer all days long.

Of course PULSAR is not in the same league as Taiko Extreme, Pink Faun, Aurender top models or even the Innuos Statement, but in the middle class segment it’s definitely a nice option which is difficult to NOT like. Usually it comes down to a budget and how much you’re willing to spend on something and I believe this is where Innuos PULSAR is spot on, if you’re not ready to take the step towards the higher league, but still want to go beyond those entry level streamers, Innuos PULSAR is likely as good as it gets right now. I probably wouldn’t mind making a stop here on my own journey... we’ll see what the future holds! :)
Thank you for your detailed description, @VoicesInMyHead. It's clear that you've transitioned from using a ZENith mk3 with a PhoenixNET and PhoenixUSB setup, which you enhanced with superior cables and SR purple fuses. Moving to the Pulsar, it seems there might be some distinct differences and that likely aligns with what you were hoping for. The Pulsar boasts improvements like an upgraded SJ power supply, a more modern board that minimizes heat and noise, and a shift of the OS onto an Apacer 64Gb SLC SSD, instead of one shared SSD for OS and music files.

Reading between the lines, it already suggests that the Pulsar might be on par with, if not surpassing, the previous trio's performance (or duo if we fairly exclude the PhoenixUSB as you suggested). I also wonder when it is performing best; with streamed vs. NAS files and in stand-alone or endpoint mode?

While it's too early to definitively conclude, I'm intrigued to know if, in a few weeks' time, you'll be able to confidently compare the ZENith mk3 against the Pulsar and draw a decisive judgment. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
Thank you for your detailed description, @VoicesInMyHead. It's clear that you've transitioned from using a ZENith mk3 with a PhoenixNET and PhoenixUSB setup, which you enhanced with superior cables and SR purple fuses. Moving to the Pulsar, it seems there might be some distinct differences and that likely aligns with what you were hoping for. The Pulsar boasts improvements like an upgraded SJ power supply, a more modern board that minimizes heat and noise, and a shift of the OS onto an Apacer 64Gb SLC SSD, instead of one shared SSD for OS and music files.

Reading between the lines, it already suggests that the Pulsar might be on par with, if not surpassing, the previous trio's performance (or duo if we fairly exclude the PhoenixUSB as you suggested). I also wonder when it is performing best; with streamed vs. NAS files and in stand-alone or endpoint mode?

While it's too early to definitively conclude, I'm intrigued to know if, in a few weeks' time, you'll be able to confidently compare the ZENith mk3 against the Pulsar and draw a decisive judgment. Thank you in advance.

Well, my story is a bit more complicated. About two years ago I was looking for a streamer/server but got fed up with the alternatives and at the time I was not prepared to pay the premium price of for example Statement and above. Highly inspired by the infamous DIY thread on Audiophile Style I set off to build my own. I've already traveled this road with Apacer industrial RAM, Intel Optane disks, high quality internal wiring, Taiko Audio DC DC-ATX converter, Sean Jacobs Unregulated ARC6 and DC3 PSU's, externally powering both motherboard and internal JCAT XE USB & NET cards as well as an SLC SSD and last but not least fiddling with highly optimized operating systems, different Linux and Windows variants, playback software as Roon, Euphony Stylus, JPLAY etc. This is why looking at the specifications on the PULSAR long before it was released caught my interest, the feeling was that Innuos had done their lesson as well... ;)

I'd say while it was incredible interesting, fun and a learning experience I will always bring with me, it's also a lot of tweaking that simply never ends. I also came to a point where I was looking at my digital setup and realised that I don't want 5 boxes and cables everywhere only to stream some music! I have no regrets at all going down this road, but at the same time I realised I couldn't take it much further on my own than I already had, I have my own limitations. So I made a perhaps drastic decision to throw everything out and start over from scratch, looking for the next level out of the box solution without being held back by any previous choices as everything evolves with time, so I had an idea of starting fresh. I enjoy changing things, trying different paths, so to me it feels more like fun to start another journey, and maybe a bit like an experiment in itself.

To make things a bit more difficult I also changed DAC (and lots of tubes!) in the middle of all this, so trying to compare my memory of how it used to sound to how it sounds today is tricky to say the least. I'm of course looking for a general overall improvement, but it's becoming difficult to point at specific things in the setup. My plan was to sell off everything to partly finance a higher ambition and goal. But then the world is also upside down at the moment, our currency is falling like a stone, inflation is high, stock markets are down, interest rates are high, while we're also in the need of buying not only one but two new cars, doing renovation on our house and so on, so maybe... I'm thinking that I perhaps need to make a stop somewhere on my journey towards those higher ambitions, and maybe this is where PULSAR could actually serve me pretty well. I'm not seeing anything else in this price range that makes me even curious, the next level would perhaps be something like Aurender N20 or such but that's quite a bit more money than PULSAR.

Oh well, that felt like a lot of personal ranting, but it's a little how my thoughts are going. We'll see where I end up.

Di-fi

Feb 17, 2021
Well, my story is a bit more complicated. About two years ago I was looking for a streamer/server but got fed up with the alternatives and at the time I was not prepared to pay the premium price of for example Statement and above. Highly inspired by the infamous DIY thread on Audiophile Style I set off to build my own. I've already traveled this road with Apacer industrial RAM, Intel Optane disks, high quality internal wiring, Taiko Audio DC DC-ATX converter, Sean Jacobs Unregulated ARC6 and DC3 PSU's, externally powering both motherboard and internal JCAT XE USB & NET cards as well as an SLC SSD and last but not least fiddling with highly optimized operating systems, different Linux and Windows variants, playback software as Roon, Euphony Stylus, JPLAY etc. This is why looking at the specifications on the PULSAR long before it was released caught my interest, the feeling was that Innuos had done their lesson as well... ;)

I'd say while it was incredible interesting, fun and a learning experience I will always bring with me, it's also a lot of tweaking that simply never ends. I also came to a point where I was looking at my digital setup and realised that I don't want 5 boxes and cables everywhere only to stream some music! I have no regrets at all going down this road, but at the same time I realised I couldn't take it much further on my own than I already had, I have my own limitations. So I made a perhaps drastic decision to throw everything out and start over from scratch, looking for the next level out of the box solution without being held back by any previous choices as everything evolves with time, so I had an idea of starting fresh. I enjoy changing things, trying different paths, so to me it feels more like fun to start another journey, and maybe a bit like an experiment in itself.

To make things a bit more difficult I also changed DAC (and lots of tubes!) in the middle of all this, so trying to compare my memory of how it used to sound to how it sounds today is tricky to say the least. I'm of course looking for a general overall improvement, but it's becoming difficult to point at specific things in the setup. My plan was to sell off everything to partly finance a higher ambition and goal. But then the world is also upside down at the moment, our currency is falling like a stone, inflation is high, stock markets are down, interest rates are high, while we're also in the need of buying not only one but two new cars, doing renovation on our house and so on, so maybe... I'm thinking that I perhaps need to make a stop somewhere on my journey towards those higher ambitions, and maybe this is where PULSAR could actually serve me pretty well. I'm not seeing anything else in this price range that makes me even curious, the next level would perhaps be something like Aurender N20 or such but that's quite a bit more money than PULSAR.

Oh well, that felt like a lot of personal ranting, but it's a little how my thoughts are going. We'll see where I end up.
I understand your perspective, and again I appreciate (all!) your insights. We're all on a journey of exploration. I too possess those components, including the ZENith MK3, PhoenixNET, and I'm now on the verge of acquiring the PhoenixUSB ;-). My custom streamers are equipped with the same or better motherboard as the ZENith MK3, along with all the enhancements you've mentioned. Naturally, I've dedicated significant effort to optimizing my network setup.

Innuos and Antipodes have remained within my field of interest, as they offer potential solutions to move to higher SQ and also beyond the box-centric approach. If budget constraints are a concern, Antipodes presently presents the opportunity of Oladra upgrades for used streamers, effectively providing a device on par with 2023 SQ standards after the upgrade for much less than the new price. Moreover, the Pulsar has captured my attention as well, making revisits to these pages quite enjoyable because users keep adding their listening impressions. Hereby thank you to everyone involved!

Last edited:

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Innuos and Antipodes have remained within my field of interest, as they offer potential solutions to move to higher SQ and also beyond the box-centric approach.
Although more expensive it might be interesting to compare the new G4 K21 vs Pulsar. Both seem to have excellent USB outputs.

Matt

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing