Installed Dedicated AC Circuits - FINALLY - and the results...WOW!

J.R. Boisclair

Jun 30, 2020
I wish I hadn't taken so long to do this, but I eventually got around to asking @Kingrex (Rex Hungerford of https://www.kingrexelectric.com/) for help to guide me - and my electrician - through the installation of two dedicated AC circuits for my audio system. With the aid of some photographs of the inside of my electrical panel and main AC service drop (on the outside of the home), he had a panoply of changes and tweaks to the arrangement of the nest of wires and breakers within. He also defined what type of wire to draw to the drop point in the room, how to properly arrange the two runs relative to each other, etc., etc. To the credit of my electrician, he went along with what was - for him - quite unusual requests made by Rex Hungerford.

I have had all components plugged into an Audioquest Niagara 7000 and the Niagara fed off of one basic house circuit. For first impressions, I decided to simply evaluate the entire system plugged into one of the new circuits feeding the Niagara so the change would be a simple one - a single new dedicated AC line with the second sitting on the sidelines for the time being. I was *astonished* at the improvement in resolution and inner detail. I expected transients to have better impact (they did). I expected dynamics to improve (they did). What I did not expect was how much extra resolution and sense of musical "ease" I would gain. The noise floor dropped considerably presenting a wonderfully black background to the music. The soundstage grew in width and depth. It simply sounded more like I was listening to music and not listening to a stereo.

I was also quite surprised that I had to decrease the gain to my bass amplification by almost 2dB to get it as well balanced as it had been before the electrical change. I suppose the bass amps were previously just a little bit starved and now they had the instantaneous current they demanded WHEN they demanded it.

I have not yet moved the amplification to the second circuit as I am simply enjoying these improvements too much to care right now. I like the idea that I have more to look forward to!

Thank you so much to Rex! I can certainly say I have benefited from my consultation with him.

Anyoldears

May 31, 2023
What wire did you upgrade to?

J.R. Boisclair

Jun 30, 2020
What wire did you upgrade to?
It wasn't the wire itself that was special (it was basic 10ga romex). I think the magic was in how Rex made sure the H, N, G were all landed at the proper location, that there weren't any ground loops inside the panel, the location of the breaker, removal of some things the last electrician left in there, strategic application of Deoxit, measurements of impedance to H, N, G and quite a bit more details I don't currently recall. Every home's panel is laid out a bit differently so they each get a special work-over from Rex.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
I wish I hadn't taken so long to do this, but I eventually got around to asking @Kingrex (Rex Hungerford of https://www.kingrexelectric.com/) for help to guide me - and my electrician - through the installation of two dedicated AC circuits for my audio system. With the aid of some photographs of the inside of my electrical panel and main AC service drop (on the outside of the home), he had a panoply of changes and tweaks to the arrangement of the nest of wires and breakers within. He also defined what type of wire to draw to the drop point in the room, how to properly arrange the two runs relative to each other, etc., etc. To the credit of my electrician, he went along with what was - for him - quite unusual requests made by Rex Hungerford.

I have had all components plugged into an Audioquest Niagara 7000 and the Niagara fed off of one basic house circuit. For first impressions, I decided to simply evaluate the entire system plugged into one of the new circuits feeding the Niagara so the change would be a simple one - a single new dedicated AC line with the second sitting on the sidelines for the time being. I was *astonished* at the improvement in resolution and inner detail. I expected transients to have better impact (they did). I expected dynamics to improve (they did). What I did not expect was how much extra resolution and sense of musical "ease" I would gain. The noise floor dropped considerably presenting a wonderfully black background to the music. The soundstage grew in width and depth. It simply sounded more like I was listening to music and not listening to a stereo.

I was also quite surprised that I had to decrease the gain to my bass amplification by almost 2dB to get it as well balanced as it had been before the electrical change. I suppose the bass amps were previously just a little bit starved and now they had the instantaneous current they demanded WHEN they demanded it.

I have not yet moved the amplification to the second circuit as I am simply enjoying these improvements too much to care right now. I like the idea that I have more to look forward to!

Thank you so much to Rex! I can certainly say I have benefited from my consultation with him.
Rex did the design for my house last year, and like you I had a great local electrician who executed exactly to Rex’s plan. Wire for the drops was provided by Rex. I had #2 AWG copper run from a dedicated breaker in my main (outside) service panel to a new dedicated subpanel just for the room’s six dedicated circuits. Result? Outstanding! One of the best expenditures ever made in my years in the hobby. I can recommend Rex for a top job in this end of the hobby!

Republicoftexas69

When we built our house we had dedicated circuits and lines going into my listening den. We did not know of Rex 21 years ago. Box is separate from the main trunk. Did the same for our pool equipment.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Thanks JR and Tony. It's always a pleasure to help.

Reactions: J.R. Boisclair

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Congratulations, J.R.! That's a wonderful report!

Reactions: J.R. Boisclair

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing