Interesting anti-snoring device

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I know my wife would appreciate it...me too since I would not be waking up bruised and battered!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I sleep on my side so that might be a problem. I want a C-pap as that would allow me to lie on my back. All my fellow chunky friends swear by it. Problem is I could never get to sleep long enough in the sleep lab. :(

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Wow, that got funded in a hurry! Big question, are the snorring funding it, or their loved ones?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Loved ones funded the bedside Tazer.

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
The device may indeed work to stop snoring, but snoring may be a symptom of a more serious underlying issue- sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is one of the most under diagnosed medical problems today. It has been linked to high blood pressure, diabetes, and serious, sometimes fatal auto accidents. A patient may still be oxygen deprived and not snore, so anyone snoring should be evaluated by their physician or dentist for sleep apnea. The tests are noninvasive and involve doppler measurements of the oral and hypopharnyx, as well as a sleep study. The study is then read by a physician that specializes in sleep disorders, and recommends treatment. A CPAP is the gold standard for treatment, but a MAD (mandibular advancement device) can be used for mild to moderate apnea. A MAD can also help for those with advanced apnea who cannot deal with wearing a CPAP. Not to take anything away from the device, but it would be a shame for someone to have sleep apnea, and treat the symptom without addressing the underlying cause. They may indeed stop snoring, but still have apnea leading to further medical problems.

elcorso

VIP/Donor
Nov 19, 2013
Rainforest
The device may indeed work to stop snoring, but snoring may be a symptom of a more serious underlying issue- sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is one of the most under diagnosed medical problems today. It has been linked to high blood pressure, diabetes, and serious, sometimes fatal auto accidents. A patient may still be oxygen deprived and not snore, so anyone snoring should be evaluated by their physician or dentist for sleep apnea. The tests are noninvasive and involve doppler measurements of the oral and hypopharnyx, as well as a sleep study. The study is then read by a physician that specializes in sleep disorders, and recommends treatment. A CPAP is the gold standard for treatment, but a MAD (mandibular advancement device) can be used for mild to moderate apnea. A MAD can also help for those with advanced apnea who cannot deal with wearing a CPAP. Not to take anything away from the device, but it would be a shame for someone to have sleep apnea, and treat the symptom without addressing the underlying cause. They may indeed stop snoring, but still have apnea leading to further medical problems.

+1

Last March I finish in an hospital emergency room for ventricular arrhythmia.

A wise MD, after the arrhythmia treatment, ordered tests for sleeping apnea. The first one was very simple, a holster for 24 hours, because I was positive he send me to an sleeping disorders clinic where have to sleep one night with an special CPAP monitoring mask and electrodes attached to my head. I was apneic !

After six months using the CPAP mask / machine I lost 20 pounds (bad sleeping increase your body weight), blood pressure is OK now and no more arrhythmia. I feel like a new person in the morning.

Main symptoms are snoring, but when you stop there is no breathing. Your bed party should notice this. Falling sleep in every place during the day and feeling tired.

It was a little hard to get used to the mask since I'm a side sleeper, but with a little (or lot) of practice you can, mainly after notice the benefits. The machine doesn't make any noise to your sleeping partner or you.

I wanted to share my history because sleeping apnea is a slow but inexorable killer.

Roch

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
A new diet? I actually believe my weight will increase if I'm sleeping poorly. As I would say it has at times unless I restricted calories a lot.

My 1st cousin once removed sleeps with an oxygen mask... he wouldn't have to if he'd change his diet. He eats absurd amounts of food. I suppose he never learned in biology that the larger the mammal the more efficient it is with food; and he's a BIG guy.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
+1

Last March I finish in an hospital emergency room for ventricular arrhythmia.

A wise MD, after the arrhythmia treatment, ordered tests for sleeping apnea. The first one was very simple, a holster for 24 hours, because I was positive he send me to an sleeping disorders clinic where have to sleep one night with an special CPAP monitoring mask and electrodes attached to my head. I was apneic !

After six months using the CPAP mask / machine I lost 20 pounds (bad sleeping increase your body weight), blood pressure is OK now and no more arrhythmia. I feel like a new person in the morning.

Main symptoms are snoring, but when you stop there is no breathing. Your bed party should notice this. Falling sleep in every place during the day and feeling tired.

It was a little hard to get used to the mask since I'm a side sleeper, but with a little (or lot) of practice you can, mainly after notice the benefits. The machine doesn't make any noise to your sleeping partner or you.

I wanted to share my history because sleeping apnea is a slow but inexorable killer.

Roch

During my sadly incomplete test (sleep only no CPAP) there was a part where I didn't breath for over 40 seconds! That's just 20 seconds shy of the longest I can hold my breath as best I can. Dang. Okay, I'm going back to the lab! Man I hated that test. All the wires made me feel like a fly in a web. Now if I lose 20lbs AND get some good sleep.....tie me up baby!

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
My sleep apnea doctor told me that sleep apnea is not necessarily weight related. As we age, our muscles start to sag. This causes the tongue to fall back restricting air passage into the body.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I sleep on my side so that might be a problem. I want a C-pap as that would allow me to lie on my back. All my fellow chunky friends swear by it. Problem is I could never get to sleep long enough in the sleep lab. :(

..I've used a CPAP for 18 yrs...did the sleep study in 1998 and found that my O2 level dropped to dangerous levels. I'm a back sleeper Jack and have no problem...or sleeping on my side for that matter. I just bought a Fisher Paykel machine (my 3rd machine in 18 yrs) and it's the best one so far. If you have apnea you'd best get thru the sleep study...apnea is nothing to mess with..

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Will do Gavin. I wonder if they make a CPAP that looks like this.

photo_100294_thumb.jpg

It would double as natural birth control. LOL

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
During my sadly incomplete test (sleep only no CPAP) there was a part where I didn't breath for over 40 seconds! That's just 20 seconds shy of the longest I can hold my breath as best I can. Dang. Okay, I'm going back to the lab! Man I hated that test. All the wires made me feel like a fly in a web. Now if I lose 20lbs AND get some good sleep.....tie me up baby!
jack,
Check out the ARES in home sleep device. Many insurance companies are paying for this, as we all seem to sleep better AT HOME, in our own bed, with few wires and strangers looking at us sleep (creepy). I have personally used the device before we became in home testers to make sure it was as advertised. Pretty comfortable, all things considered, and very informative for a sleep study.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Will do Gavin. I wonder if they make a CPAP that looks like this.

View attachment 29286

It would double as natural birth control. LOL

..speaking of birth control, did you hear about the new birth control pill for men? You put in your shoe and it makes you limp..

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hahahahaha! Good one!

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
For those of you that have had sleep apnea, what's the difference between how you feel waking up once it's corrected?

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
For those of you that have had sleep apnea, what's the difference between how you feel waking up once it's corrected?

You can function normally during the day instead of being fatigued since you never entered the Deep Sleep phase during the night. When your body is constantly waking itself back up to gasp for more air, you deprive yourself of actual rest. I was stopping breathing an average of thirty times per hour, averaging 25 seconds each time. In other words non-stop. I was falling asleep driving at 10am in the morning soon after my wife had watched the 60 Minutes special on it. Then she starting watching me sleep and said that I was stopping breathing. Been using one for 26 years

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I don't enter deep sleep much. There was a time when I was taking a slew of particular vitamins that I slept truly well for a few weeks. But I haven't recreated that exactly sense. It makes me wonder about myself now that I'm reading all of this... The thing that seems silly is how young I am for it to be happening.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing