Introducing My System

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
Welcome to all tubes system gringo :p :cool:
And these NAT block monsters look amazing!

Big congrats!

PS - you forgot to mention important spice in the GG3 - WE274 rectifier;)
Yep, that one is in there as well! :)

Reactions: Golum

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi all, so a bit of an update on my end with regards to the system. Behold the NAT Magma M!

I've only been with this amp for a day. Coming off of years of listening to Dan D'Agostino first the stereo amp and now the M400 monos, I was fully aware of what I'd hear on my Coltrane 3 SE with a single-end class A amp, but what I definitely did not expect is the level of control that Magma M (set in high power mode) has over my speakers.
The bass is more tuneful (if that's a thing) while retaining the speed and slam similar to what I hear with my M400s.

As far as the tone, the solid state M400s just don't sound as much as music as Magma M does. The Magma M sound brings you closer to the performance, adds a lot more body to the instruments and voices and (not surprisingly) reveals far more intimate details in the recordings. Two things struck me here, the almost eerily realistic reproduction of Tony Bennett's voice on Bennett & Brubeck: The White House Sessions, and the sound of string instruments on the Vivaldi in Venice recording, where violins and cellos retain the creamy mids you'd expect to hear in the body of these instruments and the pleasant highs which solid state just doesn't reproduce in the right way (especially when listening to these instruments live and then comparing to hi-fi).

After a three hour listening session yesterday, I was lost in the music in the way I haven't been in over a decade.

What also helps (looking at the system as a whole) is the addition of WE 300B tubes (new ones), to my Lampi Golden Gate 3 DAC. To my ears, these 300B tubes have a special tone, easily recognizable and highly tuned to my hi-fi sensibilities.

thanks. did you ever compare the Nat with the Trafomatic? Is that possible where you are

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations on those NAT Magma Ms! They look amazing! I’m sure they sound even better!

I looked on Dejan’s website, but I can’t really figure out the differences between the new Magma M and the older Magma New SE. Do you know what the improvements are for the Magma M?

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
thanks. did you ever compare the Nat with the Trafomatic? Is that possible where you are
Hey Bonzo,

Haven‘t had a chance to test Trafomatic in my rig or hear a head to head comparison (yet), but what I’ve heard of Trafomatic at the Munich High End, it sounded really good.

Had no contact with the Trafomatic guys. For now, simply enjoying the heck out of Magmas!

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
Congratulations on those NAT Magma Ms! They look amazing! I’m sure they sound even better!

I looked on Dejan’s website, but I can’t really figure out the differences between the new Magma M and the older Magma New SE. Do you know what the improvements are for the Magma M?
Hey Ron, thanks! So far, to use that old cliche, I’m rediscovering my music collection.

As far as the differences between the models — or iterations of Magma to be more exact — to be honest with you I’m not 100% sure, but I’ll ask Dejan to sum up some major points for me.

I’ve visited Dejan a month or two ago, at the NAT listening room, and there I was listening to the brand new model — I believe it‘s the Magma New HPS. Audio memory fades as you know, but the amps had very much the same character as the Magma Ms I’m listening to, but with even more holographic imaging — as far as my sentiment of that listening session goes.

On the other hand, I was listening to Esoteric as the source, and for me at least it’s not a fair fight vs. the GG3 with WE 300Bs and 274 rectifier.

Last edited:

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
Hey guys, a quick update on my slow-rolling evolution of the system. I was previously testing with Magma M’s from NAT to see if they’re up my alley. I saw huge potential in the sound and decided to take the plunge. However, I was testing previously with what I believe are the standard GM30 tubes. For my own pair, I managed to procure a pair of Eimac 450TL tubes.

The difference in sound is substantial in favor of the US tubes. Less heat emission (which is a big thing for me) — not to mention the added clarity in the sound, control and tighter bass. As it is, the 450TL is a higher power tube than the GM30 and with that comes a higher damping factor. This controls the Coltrane 3’s in such a way that I don’t see a need for bi-amping that I was experimenting with previously.

I have only spent a couple of hours with the amp, but those are the quick first impressions.

Also, as another update, I ended up with using the KR PX25 Anni tubes in the GG3 Lampi DAC, to go along with the NOS WE 274A tube (use it with an adapter). As compared to the stock 45’s (which in retrospect and having tried a few different tube setups are the worst I’ve heard), and comparing to new WE 300B the PX25’s are clearly better in every way than the 45’s and maybe only lack a touch of tube magic/warmth on the 300Bs, but improve on dynamics, sound stage and bass considerably.

3B7D3D6D-F08F-41C3-B3BB-30D1B188E6D7.jpeg

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Thundersnow, something so evocative about those monster tubes restrained by cages.

Reactions: Thundersnow

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, Thundersnow! They look amazing!

Bluntly, by using Eimac 450TLs Dejan has greatly improved his game in the Magma amplifier! That tube, used in the Trafomatic Drina, is the main reason to be more comfortable with the Drina than with the Magma.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Congratulations, Thundersnow! They look amazing!

Bluntly, by using Eimac 450TLs Dejan has greatly improved his game in the Magma amplifier! That tube, used in the Trafomatic Drina, is the main reason to be more comfortable with the Drina than with the Magma.
Personally speaking Ron, the price differential is the reason to be more comfortable with the Magma than the Drina.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Are the Magmas M auto biasing? There's at least 1000V of potential you don't want to mess with.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Hey guys, a quick update on my slow-rolling evolution of the system. I was previously testing with Magma M’s from NAT to see if they’re up my alley. I saw huge potential in the sound and decided to take the plunge. However, I was testing previously with what I believe are the standard GM30 tubes. For my own pair, I managed to procure a pair of Eimac 450TL tubes.

The difference in sound is substantial in favor of the US tubes. Less heat emission (which is a big thing for me) — not to mention the added clarity in the sound, control and tighter bass. As it is, the 450TL is a higher power tube than the GM30 and with that comes a higher damping factor. This controls the Coltrane 3’s in such a way that I don’t see a need for bi-amping that I was experimenting with previously.

I have only spent a couple of hours with the amp, but those are the quick first impressions.

Also, as another update, I ended up with using the KR PX25 Anni tubes in the GG3 Lampi DAC, to go along with the NOS WE 274A tube (use it with an adapter). As compared to the stock 45’s (which in retrospect and having tried a few different tube setups are the worst I’ve heard), and comparing to new WE 300B the PX25’s are clearly better in every way than the 45’s and maybe only lack a touch of tube magic/warmth on the 300Bs, but improve on dynamics, sound stage and bass considerably.

View attachment 104270
Congratulations Thundersnow, awesome looking amplifiers… also loving the big Trafo Drinas. If it’s ok to ask what sort of pricing are these set at… and in getting the Eimac 450tl tubes upgrade… are the Eimacs still reasonably available.

Reactions: Thundersnow

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Are the Magmas M auto biasing? There's at least 1000V of potential you don't want to mess with.
Marc, you’re not allowed to be falling into big valves a second time… not sure Ra would approve :eek:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Marc, you’re not allowed to be falling into big valves a second time… not sure Ra would approve :eek:

he survived the last time he fell into, or onto them, so he fancies his luck

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
Congratulations Thundersnow, awesome looking amplifiers… also loving the big Trafo Drinas. If it’s ok to ask what sort of pricing are these set at… and in getting the Eimac 450tl tubes upgrade… are the Eimacs still reasonably available.
Hey Tao, thanks. Wrt pricing, I’d reach out to NAT. Not really familiar with their politics so don’t want to overstep on my part. I’m just a happy customer. As for the Eimac 450TL, my impression is that those are not reasonably available at this point. Which is such a shame. Hopefully, NAT or Trafomatic can sort that out because they are considerably better than the GM tubes imo.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Hey Tao, thanks. Wrt pricing, I’d reach out to NAT. Not really familiar with their politics so don’t want to overstep on my part. I’m just a happy customer. As for the Eimac 450TL, my impression is that those are not reasonably available at this point. Which is such a shame. Hopefully, NAT or Trafomatic can sort that out because they are considerably better than the GM tubes imo.
No worries, much appreciated, just thought I’d ask. I did a search and saw high $20k’s USD but I just wasn’t sure if that was per mono or for the pair.

It’s a shame about the challenge of Eimac 450tl avails, sound like they are an important element in really finessing these amps.

The anxiety about attaining rare NOS tubes in an ongoing way once you’ve experienced their great value is a bit of an ingredient in these pathways. Just great to hear about these amps… they seem to be more than a bit special.

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
It’s a shame about the challenge of Eimac 450tl avails, sound like they are an important element in really finessing these amps.

The anxiety about attaining rare NOS tubes in an ongoing way once you’ve experienced their great value is a bit of an ingredient in these pathways. Just great to hear about these amps… they seem to be more than a bit special.
I really think they are. Absolutely agree about NOS tubes being the special little twist in this game. Eimac 450TL in this case is what got me to think “yes, this is what was missing from the sound I was hearing when I was auditioning the amps with the GM30s.’

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Epic system! I bet it sounds stellar. Marten all the way!

Reactions: NL. and Thundersnow

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I am sorry. I would buy the D'agostino based on looks alone. :cool:I would just have to find a speaker that makes them shine.

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
I am sorry. I would buy the D'agostino based on looks alone. :cool:I would just have to find a speaker that makes them shine.
The Ags aren’t going anywhere. I need an amp for the hot summer days :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing