Introducing My System

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
It does pay to have been collecting Eimac tubes for a good many years.

Reactions: Thundersnow

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
Hey guys, a quick update on my slow-rolling evolution of the system. I was previously testing with Magma M’s from NAT to see if they’re up my alley. I saw huge potential in the sound and decided to take the plunge. However, I was testing previously with what I believe are the standard GM30 tubes. For my own pair, I managed to procure a pair of Eimac 450TL tubes.

The difference in sound is substantial in favor of the US tubes. Less heat emission (which is a big thing for me) — not to mention the added clarity in the sound, control and tighter bass. As it is, the 450TL is a higher power tube than the GM30 and with that comes a higher damping factor. This controls the Coltrane 3’s in such a way that I don’t see a need for bi-amping that I was experimenting with previously.

I have only spent a couple of hours with the amp, but those are the quick first impressions.

Also, as another update, I ended up with using the KR PX25 Anni tubes in the GG3 Lampi DAC, to go along with the NOS WE 274A tube (use it with an adapter). As compared to the stock 45’s (which in retrospect and having tried a few different tube setups are the worst I’ve heard), and comparing to new WE 300B the PX25’s are clearly better in every way than the 45’s and maybe only lack a touch of tube magic/warmth on the 300Bs, but improve on dynamics, sound stage and bass considerably.

View attachment 104270
This is a compelling system. Congratulations!! I'd love to stop by for a listen the next time in that part of the world. I'm hoping to be in Serbia in a couple of months. Are you nearby? On my last visit, I had a great time in Beograd as well as in Bosnia / Herzegovina and Croatia. (some of the most beautiful coastline I've encountered).

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
This is a compelling system. Congratulations!! I'd love to stop by for a listen the next time in that part of the world. I'm hoping to be in Serbia in a couple of months. Are you nearby? On my last visit, I had a great time in Beograd as well as in Bosnia / Herzegovina and Croatia. (some of the most beautiful coastline I've encountered).
Hey Fred, when you know the date let me know. If I’m not traveling, by all means.

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
A quick update to the system, guys. Rel Reference No. 31 is the newly-added member to my hi-fi flock. Expect a write-up on my impressions soon. Also, in the next few weeks I should have major NAT news in the thread as well.

Attachments

• 44E183C5-C892-4A86-A2B8-00DD7FCD87E2.jpeg
    44E183C5-C892-4A86-A2B8-00DD7FCD87E2.jpeg
    945.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 4996983C-5059-4056-85EF-9152761CE10D.jpeg
    4996983C-5059-4056-85EF-9152761CE10D.jpeg
    858 KB · Views: 76
  • F58F3EF8-9583-4B7E-A241-485D1D3E6086.jpeg
    F58F3EF8-9583-4B7E-A241-485D1D3E6086.jpeg
    884 KB · Views: 74
  • 1E926A8D-9E89-46D0-8009-68921AEBAE98.jpeg
    1E926A8D-9E89-46D0-8009-68921AEBAE98.jpeg
    859.3 KB · Views: 72

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
I’ll try to sum up my impressions of the Rel 31 thus far as efficiently as I can. First, the settings: Crossover is set at 33hz, gain is a relative thing so I’d call it moderate, and I have a PEQ 2 set at 43hz -2db. I felt I could get a bit more resolution in the upper bass by dropping the Rel in the upper bass region.

The results with Coltrane 3. Coltrane 3 has extremely fast bass with the Accuton aluminum woofers, so I was very apprehensive about the match with the 31. Much to my relief, the 31 is lighting fast with absolutely NO overhang. What’s even more important to note is that this is a true sub-bass system. This sub was meant for serious full range speakers that can dish out bass. It’s voiced as such, and if you apply it to use like that it will absolutely shine.

The 31 sings in unison with the Coltrane 3 in such a way that the lower octaves sound like they are played from a single driver. Knowing Coltrane’s prowess in my listening room, I can immediately tell though which octaves the sub amplified (and in all the right ways). The two major differences with and without the 31 are the transient speed and impact of the bass, as well as the prevailing sense of hall and atmosphere you get from recordings. If the ambience is recorded by the engineer you will absolutely hear it with the 31. This in turn improves imaging considerably and gives an overall better balance to the sound, where even the highs appear to be more pleasant and better integrated.

So long story short — it’s a keeper :)

dbeau

Apr 20, 2018
OKC,USA
I’ll try to sum up my impressions of the Rel 31 thus far as efficiently as I can. First, the settings: Crossover is set at 33hz, gain is a relative thing so I’d call it moderate, and I have a PEQ 2 set at 43hz -2db. I felt I could get a bit more resolution in the upper bass by dropping the Rel in the upper bass region.

The results with Coltrane 3. Coltrane 3 has extremely fast bass with the Accuton aluminum woofers, so I was very apprehensive about the match with the 31. Much to my relief, the 31 is lighting fast with absolutely NO overhang. What’s even more important to note is that this is a true sub-bass system. This sub was meant for serious full range speakers that can dish out bass. It’s voiced as such, and if you apply it to use like that it will absolutely shine.

The 31 sings in unison with the Coltrane 3 in such a way that the lower octaves sound like they are played from a single driver. Knowing Coltrane’s prowess in my listening room, I can immediately tell though which octaves the sub amplified (and in all the right ways). The two major differences with and without the 31 are the transient speed and impact of the bass, as well as the prevailing sense of hall and atmosphere you get from recordings. If the ambience is recorded by the engineer you will absolutely hear it with the 31. This in turn improves imaging considerably and gives an overall better balance to the sound, where even the highs appear to be more pleasant and better integrated.

So long story short — it’s a keeper :)
@Thundersnow, I have REL 25s paired with WA X1v3s and your description fits what I hear better than what I could have. Congrats

Last edited:

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
A quick look at a casual iPhone graphs of my system with and without Rel 31:

Coltrane 3 no sub:
DE5C524C-14C1-4780-A379-8DC688A70924.jpeg

Coltrane 3 with Rel 31:
8CA26F18-BF9F-4FF7-ABF6-7D05085778D7.jpeg

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
I figured if anyone’s interested, wanted here to introduce my office system as well. A fully active stereo 2.1-way Apogee Stage system (Apogee‘s have been modded out, ribbons fixed, wiring and terminals changed, etc. — each speaker weighs around 150lbs and the frames are done in American oak solid wood), with two Ti9 Rel subs. I am not at all worried about resonance (MDF hint, hint) because the bass panels have a high pass filter Butterworth 48db/Oct. at 60hz. The system is powered by a MiniDSP’s Flex 8 unit, running on an Ediscreation linear power supply and streams off of a Bluesound Node upgraded with a Teddy Pardo LPS.

Two custom A/B ams are running the woofer ribbon and the MRT. Rel’s are active. That’s all there really is to say about the system. Future upgrade will include a one-box solution for the MiniDSP and Bluesound, but with a tube powered output section for all 8 unbalanced outputs. Will use I2S to internally connect the streamer to the DAC, while each section: (DAC analogue, DAC digital and streamer will have a separate power supply). Here are some pics:

Attachments

• IMG_3418.jpeg
    IMG_3418.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3417.jpeg
    IMG_3417.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3416.jpeg
    IMG_3416.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3415.jpeg
    IMG_3415.jpeg
    874.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
Also, recently connected my UMIK-2 measurement mic to my iPad Pro. Managed to install the calibration file as well, so here is the measurement of the home system (with the Coltrane 3’s and the Rel 31 sub):

Attachments

• IMG_0043.png
    IMG_0043.png
    831 KB · Views: 21

Walnut Horns

May 11, 2015
Also, recently connected my UMIK-2 measurement mic to my iPad Pro. Managed to install the calibration file as well, so here is the measurement of the home system (with the Coltrane 3’s and the Rel 31 sub):
How did you install the calibration file on your iPad? I’m too stupid to figure it out. Thanks.

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
How have the Rel's been treating you?
Far exceeded my expectations. They are perfectly integrated for stereo music which is all I use them for. It’s getting to the point where I’m constantly listening to Marcus Miller. I love the crisp and musical tone of the bass in the upper octaves that is contrasted so well with the fundamentals of the lower octaves. Rel 31 does this sooo well in tandem with the Coltranes.

Reactions: bryans

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
How did you install the calibration file on your iPad? I’m too stupid to figure it out. Thanks.
Using itunes (or whatever it’s called these days). Apps become available as you connect your ipad, you then double click on the app and add the file there (before renaming it from calibarationwhatever.txt to .cal). I had to restart the app (Analyzer) a couple of times before the file finally became available.

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
So here’s some major news from la casa del Thundersnow! The world’s first of the new Magma Evolution (I think! I‘m not sure this is 100% true but it sure has a nice ring to it.} Here are some pics gents. Expect my write up in the coming days as I break these puppies in and provided I don’t start glowing green from the giant tubes!

IMG_3517.jpeg
IMG_3515.jpeg
IMG_3513.jpeg
IMG_3503.jpeg
That’s one of Dejan from NAT!
IMG_3507.jpeg
And one with your’s truly!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Magma, Magma HPS, Magma New, Magma Evolution...can you sift and sort?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Thundersnow, those are mighty scary yet mighty alluring...well, mighty, all the same.
I've recently had a thorough overhaul of my Nat Utopia pre and SE2SE monos, previous noise issues very much minimised. And I remain very much addicted to the Nat house sound, driving my 101dB/1m Zus with ease in my 250 cub m space.

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
Magma, Magma HPS, Magma New, Magma Evolution...can you sift and sort?
Well, I can’t really keep up with all the fancy names either :) To me, all that matters is that it’s a step up in sound. And also, similar to you I am addicted to the NAT house sound as well. I will write my full impressions soon, but off the bat, these Evo battlecruisers take the very same house sound to the next level. More on that in a few days.

Reactions: christoph

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
How did you get Dejan over to your place? If I have a major gripe about Nat, it's that they don't even answer my emails.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
No mention of Magma Evolution on their website, or any Google reference.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing