Introducing My System

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
So TS, with my easy as pie to drive Zus (101dB/1m), low power mode on the Magmas Evo HPS, should be no trouble at all?
I'm still not totally sure what you're saying about the GM100 v Eimac choice in the Evo in low power mode.
To be totally clear Evo in low power mode is the absolute winner, no contest. Over any other NAT combo or otherwise (that I’ve heard). What I’m also saying is, considering what I think will be a steep difference in price, Magma M/Eimac is certainly the biggest bang for the buck option. Which I am absolutely sure would be more than enough (in low power mode or otherwise) to drive your 101db efficiency speakers. Hope this clarifies.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure TS. Could you just check w Dejan to see if the Magmas are auto biasing, especially going from stock GM100 to Eimac tubes.
Btw, what's the prevalence and reliability of Eimac tubes out there?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
what's the . . . reliability of Eimac tubes out there?

Eimac tubes are extremely reliable. I know Eimac from my amateur radio days. For example, over 2kW RF -- not this easy-peasy audio stuff.

Eimac tubes are the real deal. This is the amplifier I used to have with an Eimac 8877.

1552BD74-5204-4270-A7E9-02E48B858DE9.jpeg

Last edited:

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
Eimac tubes are extremely reliable. I know Eimac from my amateur radio days. For example, over 2kW RF -- not this easy-peasy audio stuff.

Eimac tubes are the real deal. This is the amplifier I used to have with an Eimac 8877.

View attachment 108484
Absolutely agree about Eimac. Wonderful tubes. They were leaps and bounds better than the GMI30 in the Magma M.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure, please get back once Dejan confirms if Magmas auto bias. I know this hobby can kill us, prefer that metaphorical to literal.

Reactions: bonzo75

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Love watching/reading your reports and these amps look so cool. Absolutely amazing. So impressed that they can drive the Coltranes. I have Mingus and they are thirsty for power, so this surprises me. My amps are 1100 watts :)

Reactions: Thundersnow

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
Sure, please get back once Dejan confirms if Magmas auto bias. I know this hobby can kill us, prefer that metaphorical to literal.
Autobiasing confirmed. To quote Dejan: “a completely new system which only Magma’s design allows — no caps, resistors or transistors used”. He’ll release some info on that soon he tells me.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Excellent, sounds intriguing.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Well, I can’t really keep up with all the fancy names either :) To me, all that matters is that it’s a step up in sound. And also, similar to you I am addicted to the NAT house sound as well. I will write my full impressions soon, but off the bat, these Evo battlecruisers take the very same house sound to the next level. More on that in a few days.
Uses the GM100 tube?

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
If I may enquire … What is the NAT house sound and to what element of the design do you attribute such ? are you stating that it is unique to NAT ?

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
If I may enquire … What is the NAT house sound and to what element of the design do you attribute such ? are you stating that it is unique to NAT ?
Umm... I really could take the long way and the short way of answering this question. But given I’ve just come back from a taxing biz trip, gonna stick with the short version, sorry :)

Is there such a thing as the NAT “house sound” — I believe so, yes. I would summarize in the following: “uncolored sound with the control of solid state, but the sweet highs and the ’there-ness’ of top-of-the-line single-end tube stuff.”

But really, ”uncolored“ is the key word here. Whenever I was going from top of the line solid state (like D’Ag monos and Momentum HD Pre) to NAT — the feeling was the same — it loses none of the uncolored essence and speed of instruments I get from Dags but gains the sweet and seductive top end and the 3D imaging and presence of single-end tube gear.

As you go up the NAT line the effect simply becomes more and more prominent.

What element of design do I attribute such is not a question for me, but for Dejan. I mean, I am a buddy and I’m willing to help get the word out about a good product cause I believe in it, but as I said, I have no skin in the game, so I feel like I’ve already said way too much :)

Is it unique to NAT? In my experience and in owning and hearing more equipment than I care to admit to (my wife, God, or any other entity on earth and beyond) — it is unique.

Reactions: F208Frank and Golum

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
This may be mere prejudice; this may be unfair or wrong. But I don't think I would ever be able to fully relax and get into the music while watching GM100s burn like Chernobyl.

I know I would have no concern about Eimacs. When I used to have trouble "breaking a pile-up" (attempting to communicate with a rare, foreign radio station ("DX") while people all over the world are transmitting at the same time to communicate with the same station) I would red-line the amplifier to transmit above the FCC legal power output limit. (I'm pretty sure virtually everybody who had that amplifier did the same thing.) It never broke a sweat, let alone blew up.

I trust Eimac.

Last edited:

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
This may be mere prejudice; this may be unfair or wrong. But I don't think I would ever be able to fully relax and get into the music while watching GM100s burn like Chernobyl.

I know I would have no concern about Eimacs. When I used to have trouble "breaking a pile-up" (attempting to communicate with a rare, foreign radio station ("DX") while people all over the world are transmitting at the same time to communicate with the same station) I would red-line the amplifier to transmit above the FCC legal power output limit. (I'm pretty sure virtually everybody who had that amplifier did the same thing.) It never broke a sweat, let alone blew up.

I trust Eimac.
Ron I get it, you have a history with Eimacs. I on the other hand don’t have a history with either tube, and based on the sound (and even the aesthetics), I would without a doubt stick with the Evos. When we spoke about reliability Dejan told me I’d have about 8000 hours with GM100s in high power mode and almost no estimate to be given in low power mode. Since these things handle Coltrane 3 so well in low power mode I am somewhat at ease.

One thing I absolutely agree with you though, if I had to push either GM100 or Eimac to its operating limits I’d much rather do it with the Eimacs.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Since these things handle Coltrane 3 so well in low power mode I am somewhat at ease.

I agree with you – I would not be concerned about low power mode.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
TS, I've been looking at the availability of Eimac 450 tubes out there. Not scarce, but not plentiful either.
Certainly I haven't seen any matched pairs for sale.
What do you see as the situation in sourcing them going on into the future, and is it satisfactory to utilise non-matched Eimacs?

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
TS, I've been looking at the availability of Eimac 450 tubes out there. Not scarce, but not plentiful either.
Certainly I haven't seen any matched pairs for sale.
What do you see as the situation in sourcing them going on into the future, and is it satisfactory to utilise non-matched Eimacs?
I absolutely see avaialbility as a concern as well. I managed to get an additional matched pair (a one-off deal by pure luck) and with that I felt OK about the future — given that indeed Eimac is very reliable.

gentcan

Jun 15, 2022
So here’s some major news from la casa del Thundersnow! The world’s first of the new Magma Evolution (I think! I‘m not sure this is 100% true but it sure has a nice ring to it.} Here are some pics gents. Expect my write up in the coming days as I break these puppies in and provided I don’t start glowing green from the giant tubes!

View attachment 108298
View attachment 108299
View attachment 108300
View attachment 108301
That’s one of Dejan from NAT!
View attachment 108302
And one with your’s truly!
Beautiful system. The Nats are strong enough to pull all out of Accuton drivers?

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
Reactions: gentcan

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
Here is a teaser photo of what's coming next in this thread! :)

WhatsApp Image 2023-07-06 at 19.22.29.jpeg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing