Introducing My System

Hi Soliles,

So yes, you have several questions here.

So first up yes, everything plays a role in the listening room. Forgive me, but the subject is so extensive I’d have to write an essay to go into any detail.

With that said, if you have space (especially front and back wall) planars like Clarisys, Apogees, etc. are in my opinion more forgiving than say the Mingus Orchestra — with it the side walls play a greater role and the energy from the passive woofers can be quite high. They like high ceilings as well and I do have that working for me with the new listening space. So yeah, I’d say my Apogee Duetta is definitely filling the room with less energy than the Orchestra. Even though my new space is pretty big I felt like the Orchestra required even more space.

But more than any of this, at the crux of the matter is my preference for open baffle diopole designs over classic box speakers.

Finally, see that’s the thing — the Duettas are simply better than the Orchestra in recreating the very reverb of the space — so like I heard in the church in Paris.

They also have extremely fast transients in combination with a powerful amp like the Soulution 710 (and the punch with the help of Rel 31) so I am (in my opinion) not missing much over what I was getting with dynamic speakers. In fact, I gain more overall.

That’s not to say, however, that Mingus Orchestra is not a great speaker. It’s fantastic in almost all regards. I wouldn’t have stayed with Marten for so many years. Until I’ve heard these refurbished Duettas on the Soulution, and then hearing Alsyvox and Clarisys, I didn’t think it possible for a planar speaker to have such dynamics.

Thankfully, was proven wrong so I’m back with my preferred speaker type design.
Hi Uros,
Would you please share the dimensions of your current room and the previous one.
From your posted pictures it seems to me the current one does not have the professional acoustic treatment the former one had.
Did you sell your Mingus Orchestra?
Best

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu