Introducing My System

I was a bit broad there with the price range, but I can’t find the price anywhere anymore :)

Reactions: Thundersnow
New arrivals! Tara coming in a few days! CEC TL2N Double Belt CD transport. I feel so fancy putting a clamp on a CD!

Jokes aside, have it connected to the Horizon with the Siltech Classic Legend AES/EBU cable. I am playing it for the last hour or so. Will summarize my impressions in the coming days. Off the bat, you can just hear this qualitative leap from the streaming services — it’s like going from an off the shelf coffee bean to an artisan bean when making espresso. Sure, you get both extractions right — one just simply tastes better :)

IMG_5958.jpeg

Anyway, I have to once again reflect on these Apogee Duetta speakers.

I bought these for 6,000 euros give or take. If there is some hi fi purgatory out there and I am this fallen sinner which has spent many a coin on idiotic purchases over the decades. For which there is no sane or rational rhyme reason or account, these Duettas are tilting the divine balance of scales in my favor by being the most incredible value for money and just a source of pure musical enjoyment.

With this purchase, I’ll end up looking like I wasn’t fumbling my way through the bamboo jungle of random impulse hi fi buys!

Thus far and to a lesser extent the same can be said about the Lara preamp. What a fantastic piece of gear.

Reactions: MarkusBarkus
I love your Lara pre-amplifier in white! We recently received our first unit for the US, and regardless of its affordable price, it delivers. I am sure it plays very nicely with your NAT amplifiers! Enjoy.

• Love
. . . balance of scales in my favor by being the most incredible value for money and just a source of pure musical enjoyment.

. . .

Thus far and to a lesser extent the same can be said about the Lara preamp. What a fantastic piece of gear.

I, too, am enjoying the Lara very much! I was considering bringing in a conrad-johnson ART 88 (thanks to Vassil) for a direct comparison to the Lara and to the Hegel P30A and to my VTL TL-7.5 Series III. I came very close to buying a mint condition demo Jadis JPS2 (thanks to John Woo of Bluebird).

I didn't go forward with the ART 88 or the JPS2. Comparing directly the VTL with the Lara and the Hegel I have been very happy with the Lara. I think the VTL is a fantastic pre-amp. But with both Gryphon Pendragon ribbons and with Clarisys ribbons the slightly greater upper bass to lower midrange "weight" of the Lara is pleasing to my ears.

I have been enjoying the Lara so much that it took the wind out of my sail to try the Art 88 or the JPS2, and to give up a remote, and to give up a remote as well as balanced connection flexibility, respectively. The Lara is a keeper for me!

I will be very curious about your thoughts on the Tara 30A versus the Lara.

Last edited:
  • Love
I, too, am enjoying the Lara very much! I was considering bringing in a conrad-johnson ART 88 (thanks to Vassil) for a direct comparison to the Lara and to the Hegel P30A and to my VTL TL-7.5 Series III. I came very close to buying a mint condition demo Jadis JPS2 (thanks to John Woo of Bluebird).

I didn't go forward with the ART 88 or the JPS2. Comparing directly the VTL with the Lara and the Hegel I have been very happy with the Lara. I think the VTL is a fantastic pre-amp. But with both Gryphon Pendragon ribbons and with Clarisys ribbons the slightly greater upper bass to lower midrange "weight" of the Lara is pleasing to my ears.

I have been enjoying the Lara so much that it took the wind out of my sail to try the Art 88 or the JPS2, and to give up a remote, and to give up a remote as well as balanced connection flexibility, respectively. The Lara is a keeper for me!

I will be very curious about your thoughts on the Tara 30A versus the Lara.
Ron, when you get a minute, can you send a photo of the Lara in your rack?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu