Introduction of my new Antipodes K50 Music Server

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
Watch this space, at Antipodes we always like to give users the ability to upgrade to the latest versions, it's what we do, and one of the reasons why you buy Antipodes.
All I have been thinking about since our Munich conversation!

Reactions: OLADRA

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
Tried Grimm MU1 in my chain to see differences myself against the K50, though the MU1 is great for the money (REALLY good for the $) and has a more forward/direct/neutral/flat sound, the K50 made music sound more like music, especially vocals. I knew going into the experiment that it would likely be the case based off reading around, but I like trying/comparing stuff to hear with my own ears.

Last edited:

Bling23

Aug 3, 2020
Ireland
In my system I’d say the complete opposite. The K50 was more forward “more digital” sounding than the MU1. I found the MU1 to be very musical,provides a very natural uncolored sound with greater scale and depth, decay and timbre are on a higher level.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
"Tried Grimm MU1 in my chain to see differences myself against the K50, though the MU1 is great for the money (REALLY good for the $) and has a more forward/direct/neutral/flat sound, the K50 made music sound more like music, especially vocals. I knew going into the experiment that it would likely be the case based off reading around, but I like trying/comparing stuff to hear with my own ears."

"In my system I’d say the complete opposite. The K50 was more forward “more digital” sounding than the MU1. I found the MU1 to be very musical,provides a very natural uncolored sound with greater scale and depth, decay and timbre are on a higher level."

The above statements are why everyone should try to listen to components in their own system and let their ears decide on what sounds best. We are listening to a "system", not components in isolation.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I was going to post something similar ricjor1. I agree.

It is a bit puzzling to read directly conflicting reports. It could also be the result of different subjective sonic preferences, or perhaps even different sonic definitions of the same adjectives.

Reactions: Danne75 and ricjor1

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
First question is whether or not they are comparing the same thing - is this just a comparison of AES outputs since the Grimm only has AES output? Then the next question is if AES is the best input on each person's DAC.

Reactions: Verdier

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
First question is whether or not they are comparing the same thing - is this just a comparison of AES outputs since the Grimm only has AES output? Then the next question is if AES is the best input on each person's DAC.
Exactly! The MU1 aims to work in far fewer systems. I think direct comparisons (where one maintains apples to apples) force the K50 to not put its best foot forward as Roon is the worst sounding option on Antipodes. But if Roon and AES are must-haves then it’s more than fair to put them head to head configured that way. The only downside would be that it ties one’s hands as far as future DAC upgrades. I wanted my server choice to open me up to future possibilities. That Antipodes is now offering upgrades that improve the USB output is yet further proof that I made the right choice.

Republicoftexas69

Exactly! The MU1 aims to work in far fewer systems. I think direct comparisons (where one maintains apples to apples) force the K50 to not put its best foot forward as Roon is the worst sounding option on Antipodes. But if Roon and AES are must-haves then it’s more than fair to put them head to head configured that way. The only downside would be that it ties one’s hands as far as future DAC upgrades. I wanted my server choice to open me up to future possibilities. That Antipodes is now offering upgrades that improve the USB output is yet further proof that I made the right choice.
I think Roon is very lacking no matter the ecosystem, unless of course it is Nucleus or an less revealing equivalent. YMMV,

Reactions: Armsan

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I think Roon is very lacking no matter the ecosystem, unless of course it is Nucleus or an less revealing equivalent. YMMV,
A two-tier model helps a lot with Roon. I base this on having come from an Innuos Zenith Mk3 prior to Antipodes. I found that shutting Roon down completely provided a sound quality benefit on the Zenith when using Squeeze. Not so on my K30, I think because Core runs on a separate CPU and motherboard from the endpoint, despite them being in the same physical box.

How the heck Grimm overcomes this is beyond me, but it could also explain why Roon is the only choice. Disappointment would very likely creep in if other options were provided.

For the first three months of owning my K30, I used only Roon as I didn’t want to spoil my appreciation of Roon. It was such a huge upgrade from Roon on the Zenith. I just knew hearing Squeeze would spoil it for me. And I was right.

Roon sounds better than it did two years ago, which is a good thing. Squeeze remains considerably better.

Republicoftexas69

A two-tier model helps a lot with Roon. I base this on having come from an Innuos Zenith Mk3 prior to Antipodes. I found that shutting Roon down completely provided a sound quality benefit on the Zenith when using Squeeze. Not so on my K30, I think because Core runs on a separate CPU and motherboard from the endpoint, despite them being in the same physical box.

How the heck Grimm overcomes this is beyond me, but it could also explain why Roon is the only choice. Disappointment would very likely creep in if other options were provided.

For the first three months of owning my K30, I used only Roon as I didn’t want to spoil my appreciation of Roon. It was such a huge upgrade from Roon on the Zenith. I just knew hearing Squeeze would spoil it for me. And I was right.

Roon sounds better than it did two years ago, which is a good thing. Squeeze remains considerably better.
I am content with my Zenith MK3 and the Innuos Ecosystem and Roon was just awful for me, I do enjoy the Sense application immensely and am an analog guy. Use the Zenith for streaming (background noise) while working in my office and I like it for discovering new music. I do have all my CD's ripped to the Zenith. I have a lifetime (early adapter) Roon subscription, may just give it another try one day. Squeeze I have never tried.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I do enjoy the Sense application immensely and am an analog guy. Use the Zenith for streaming (background noise) while working in my office and I like it for discovering new music. I do have all my CD's ripped to the Zenith. I have a lifetime (early adapter) Roon subscription, may just give it another try one day. Squeeze I have never tried
You are fortunate to have the Sense app. I hope Antipodes ships their own app in the not too distant future. I also have a Roon lifetime subscription but rarely use it. I love Roon for discovering music.

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing