Introduction of my new Antipodes K50 Music Server

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I have isolated everything (power cord, ethernet cord, dac, the dip switches to be compatible to DAC, the actual HDMI cable itself) and it seems to be the actual K50 HDMI causing this for me, AES and USB have no background noise whatsoever.

Anyone else using HDMI to connect to DAC with background hissing noise? So far seems like I am the only K50 owner experiencing this. Sigh.
This must be incredibly frustrating for you. It sounds like you’ve gone through the process of elimination. Even so, all I can suggest is to take it even further.

Which HDMI cables have you tried?

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
This must be incredibly frustrating for you. It sounds like you’ve gone through the process of elimination. Even so, all I can suggest is to take it even further.

Which HDMI cables have you tried?
Not as frustrating as I thought, but yes a bit lonely in that it seems like I am the only one experiencing this.

I have tried the Dragon HDMI by Audioquest, as well as a regular plain common HDMI cable (as recommended to me by the Antipodes support)

Now that I have eliminated everything, I believe maybe something could be wrong with the reclocker section of my K50, will schedule with them and see if they want to service.

Sending something this heavy back and forth does cause me a bit of anxiety for sure, technically I can just use AES or USB and ignore it, but when servers are at this price range, it would bother me and always be in the back of my head that the HDMI section is not really working proper.

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
Have you connected to a different I2S-compatible DAC?
Yes sir, that has been isolated as well, I did everything already that I can think of.

Will be contacting support to see how to proceed.

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
I still prefer the HDMI option as the AES sounds "too smooth" given my own chain, anyone else feel or experience the same?

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
Update, Mark had me sent item to New Zealand and they replaced the player board, no issues after that. Thanks for the replies prior.

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
Update, Mark had me sent item to New Zealand and they replaced the player board, no issues after that. Thanks for the replies prior.
Happy to hear your issue is resolved. did it take long for antipodes to fix this ?

OLADRA

Industry Expert
Aug 9, 2022
New Zealand
antipodes.audio
No, only a day to test, confirm, replace, and re-testing for another day or two, then straight back.

Reactions: Tuckia

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
Happy to hear your issue is resolved. did it take long for antipodes to fix this ?
It was extremely quick once the K50 was sent out to New Zealand, smooth as butter.

fuzzypoodle

Feb 17, 2021
Hi, I am looking at K50s on used market. I understand there were some hardware changes recently. Does anyone know starting serial numbers of those? TIA Andrew

Reactions: OLADRA

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Hi, I am looking at K50s on used market. I understand there were some hardware changes recently. Does anyone know starting serial numbers of those? TIA Andrew
Are you wanting the original or new hardware?

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Not necessarily. The K50 was designed with specific boards etc. Then there were supply chain issues due to Covid. Antipodes had to work to find suitable replacements. The nee HW was not a planned “upgrade”. This is why it is still a K50 and not a K50.5.

OLADRA

Industry Expert
Aug 9, 2022
New Zealand
antipodes.audio
The latest model K50 is easy to spot from the rear.
It has I2S over RJ45 and HDMI vs early version with just HDMI.
The later version has an upgrade to the power supply and a oven controlled clock in the Re-Clocker.
Generally regarded as a upgrade version.
There was a price increase at that time as well.
So if you are looking, that's the easiest way to differentiate

Last edited:

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
The later version has an upgrade to the power supply and a oven controlled clock in the Re-Clocker.
If that's so, why don't you offer owners of the "old" K50 an upgrade path?

OLADRA

Industry Expert
Aug 9, 2022
New Zealand
antipodes.audio
If that's so, why don't you offer owners of the "old" K50 an upgrade path?
Watch this space, at Antipodes we always like to give users the ability to upgrade to the latest versions, it's what we do, and one of the reasons why you buy Antipodes.

Last edited:

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
Watch this space, at Antipodes we always like to give users the ability to upgrade to the latest versions, it's what we do, and one of the reasons why you buy Antipodes.
Exactly.

Last edited:

fuzzypoodle

Feb 17, 2021
There was a price increase at that time as well.
So if you are looking, that's the easiest way to differentiate
Thank you, sir!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing