Introduction of my new Antipodes K50 Music Server

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Another comparision between various outputs:

Using USB the Antipodes K50 and Taiko Extreme where very close.
With a BNC SPDIF output the K50 was preferred (slightly)

It’s a nice example of the relevance of the (personal) context and preferences in which a comparison is made (how is it connected, with which DAC, etc, etc..) to find ones personal best (favourite) which integrates with the other variables.

Normally I would refrain from commenting but in this particular case I feel I should. This particular Taiko Extreme server is from our UK distributor. I have recently serviced it (remotely) after it was send out on several demos with subpar results, it was just barely ahead of a Roon Nucleus from the last feedback we received. As it turned out someone, or multiple people had some fun changing parameters on it, I ended up changing over 150 (!!) settings back to default and removed a significant amount of tools and utilities which where installed. This particular unit has also visited @manisandher ’s home, I have no idea though when or where it it was “modified” to this extend.

Our customers typically value having desktop access to have a degree of control on form and function, however in this particular case we may need to lock units down in order to prevent these sort of impressions finding their way online.

We have multiple dealers selling both our servers, Antipodes servers, and even the Grimm mentioned above, they’re all good devices, they also do all sound quite different on which I won’t comment.

FredM

Dec 28, 2019
Normally I would refrain from commenting but in this particular case I feel I should. This particular Taiko Extreme server is from our UK distributor. I have recently serviced it (remotely) after it was send out on several demos with subpar results, it was just barely ahead of a Roon Nucleus from the last feedback we received. As it turned out someone, or multiple people had some fun changing parameters on it, I ended up changing over 150 (!!) settings back to default and removed a significant amount of tools and utilities which where installed. This particular unit has also visited @manisandher ’s home, I have no idea though when or where it it was “modified” to this extend.

Our customers typically value having desktop access to have a degree of control on form and function, however in this particular case we may need to lock units down in order to prevent these sort of impressions finding their way online.

We have multiple dealers selling both our servers, Antipodes servers, and even the Grimm mentioned above, they’re all good devices, they also do all sound quite different on which I won’t comment.
Oh boy.. thanks for sharing this, I can imagine you were not quite amused with the state when you accessed it . Good reminder that the condition & history of a device (like previous users) can be added as a relevant variable. As well as service by dealer/manufacturer. Keep up the good work!

Reactions: Taiko Audio

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 31, 2010
looks like, that a stand alone thread about the Grimm MU-1 is the way to go?
@shakti, completely agree with your thinking. There is one already started earlier.
@matthias I am not as frequent a visitor to the forum, but happy to take this topic onto the grimm thread started way earlier. Thanks for your understanding.

Audioking87

Dec 14, 2019

Sounds like BS. Damage control. Both units are good. Digital audio moves fast and K50 does have a different sound signature, its not impossible for someone to prefer it to a more analytical presentation.

Tuckia

Jun 4, 2019
Sounds like BS. Damage control. Both units are good. Digital audio moves fast and K50 does have a different sound signature, its not impossible for someone to prefer it to a more analytical presentation.
I can appreciate your comments, and I’m not judging one way or the other here, but can you offer any any personal experience with either or both units so we can better understand?
Thanks

Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing