Introduction of my new Antipodes K50 Music Server

WAVE High Fidelity

Mar 4, 2021
Leics, UK
www.wavehighfidelity.com
There have been some real instability issues with the latest version of HQP desktop. I believe even Emile of Taiko has recommended that Extreme owners stick with an older version. Likely those same instability issues are found in the embedded version as well.

Yes but they were solved in pretty short order by Jussi and in any case why is the older range allowed to receive updates if there were issues? Also, I have not been told by Antipodes that they restricted access to updates because of issue, rather that they were getting round to releasing the updates when they have evaluated them. My point is that 7 months is plenty time to evaluate something.

It is a pity to have something like this eroding customer satisfaction when the K50 is a brilliant product - I wouldn’t have bought it it I did not think it was anything other than top rate.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
The folks on Head Fi Antipodes forum have been discussing this HQPlayer update issue for a while. I gloss over it as I don’t use a Chord dac, but check that forum out for some possible clarification on the issue. Something about the EX/CX actually running a Beta 2.8 SW which allows HQP updates. Sounds like Antipodes is working on this. I do have an HQPlayer embedded license but am not using it currently because....

My K50 has now begun day 9 of the rocky break in process. To minimize the variables, I’ve only run Roon 1.8 into Squeezelite. IMO this has been a wild ride ranging between ear plugs and WOW. I’m coming from an EX/CX pair which were well settled. I broke this pair in as well, but the process wasn’t nearly as dramatic as the K50 has been. (All critical listening from internal Samsung EVO SSD - PCM and single rate DSD - which does play through spdif using Squeezelite)

The first difference to notice is the much greater resolution from the mid band up. This is not subtle. The initial effect is one of ghostly see-through-ness. I suspect the lower range is somewhat repressed initially giving this impression. But I could easily hear things never heard previously and with superior Z-axis presentation. However, there is also obvious rawness to the sound, which can be grating to sensitive (my) ears.

The range of changes has now diminished and it has been consistently listenable lately, although the landscape is still continually shifting. I’m certain there is more improvement to come. Mark from Antipodes has stated is takes 2 months of continuous operation for the K50 to settle, then another two months for the background to quiet, and another two months to reach the peak of performance. The EX/CX took 6 months as well.

I am certain the K50 blows the EX/CX away in resolution, spatial presentation, transparency, and dynamics. This is only day nine with much more refinement expected.

The one variable I am playing with is spdif coax output vs. usb. Different cable manufacturers (FTA Callisto vs. Zenwave D4) with different results. Unlike others’ reports, I can’t declare one a winner yet.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Mark from Antipodes has stated is takes 2 months of continuous operation for the K50 to settle, then another two months for the background to quiet, and another two months to reach the peak of performance. The EX/CX took 6 months as well.

I take it that applies to my K30 as well and the peak is still to come. That's crazy as according to this it has yet to even settle as it's been only a little over a month. I couldn't be happier now but if it's still going to improve that's okay with me too.

Bling23

Aug 3, 2020
Ireland
After reading this thread when it first started I am back and posting as a new K50 owner.

Before buying I had a K50 on demo from Elite in Scotland (who are really good guys to deal with by the way) and I admit that at first I was struggling to understand how to get it to play anything never mind getting the best sound quality. This is perhaps because I had (and still have) various Innuos streamers that are very much plug and play by comparison.

However after a few weeks I have come to appreciate the k50 strengths and I really love it.

So far I either use squeezlite with the Material web browser control and the BNC output to the Mscaler (with my Wave Storm cables of course!) or I use HQPlayer with no upscaling and out putting by USB to the Mscaler. This might seem odd but I like the HQP + NAA player sound quality and prefer the Mscaler upscaling.

Despite having a Roon lifetime subscription I am afraid that even the wonderful k50 cannot make it sound good so it is relegated to the kitchen system.

I have tried outputting with miniDLNA on the K50 server and MPD on the K50 player but to my ears that introduced a very slight harshness, perhaps because of the work that the player has to do ‘pulling’ the files from the server, I don’t know but whatever the reason I didn’t get on with that playback method.

So, I am really really liking the K50 and am very glad I have bought it.

The only slight gripe I have is that it is running on an HQPlayer embedded version that was released in July 2020, ie seven months ago and it has irritated me that Antipodes haven’t got the later versions on the K50 despite being available on their CX, EX etc.
Hi there,
Nice post on the K50.You have some really nice kit. I am looking at one of the new K models and K50 seems logical given the multiple digital outputs for example. I have a Weiss 501 DAC so ill need to check what Weiss say for best SQ but from reading the posts here its likely its not USB or Network. I currently just have a simple NUC so im expecting big things. I will be adding a Paul Pang network switch to further help with the network signal. Are you very satisfied with the K50, the best streamer I have tried was Aurender but I miss Roon. Thanks for info on HQP I will give a try once set up. Is there somewhere that's a good resource to learn how to set HQP up and Squeezeligt etc. I need to learn all this.
Thanks Sean

WAVE High Fidelity

Mar 4, 2021
Leics, UK
www.wavehighfidelity.com
Hi there,
Nice post on the K50.You have some really nice kit. I am looking at one of the new K models and K50 seems logical given the multiple digital outputs for example. I have a Weiss 501 DAC so ill need to check what Weiss say for best SQ but from reading the posts here its likely its not USB or Network. I currently just have a simple NUC so im expecting big things. I will be adding a Paul Pang network switch to further help with the network signal. Are you very satisfied with the K50, the best streamer I have tried was Aurender but I miss Roon. Thanks for info on HQP I will give a try once set up. Is there somewhere that's a good resource to learn how to set HQP up and Squeezeligt etc. I need to learn all this.
Thanks Sean
Hi Sean, you will not be disappointed with a K50.

Do not dismiss USB from the K50. It might well be the best for you especially with the Sablon 2020 usb that I use.

I and others will be happy to help you with set up when the time comes.

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
I take it that applies to my K30 as well and the peak is still to come. That's crazy as according to this it has yet to even settle as it's been only a little over a month. I couldn't be happier now but if it's still going to improve that's okay with me too.
Yes, I suspect you are correct as common power supply caps are a known long break in item for all units. The K50 does have more parts than the K30, and a reclocker section, so this may be increasing the variety of ongoing changes that I hear. Last year, Tao and I reflected on how our EX/CX units were seeming to coming into their own at about the 6 month mark. Probably the caps finally achieving happiness. A greater sense of calm and blackness. I can't wait for this process to be over. Getting tired of green bananas. But just a few more things... ;)

Bling23

Aug 3, 2020
Ireland
Hi Sean, you will not be disappointed with a K50.

Do not dismiss USB from the K50. It might well be the best for you especially with the Sablon 2020 usb that I use.

I and others will be happy to help you with set up when the time comes.
Thanks for that appreciate the reply, happy listening

Reactions: WAVE High Fidelity

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
My previous Innuos Zenith servers responded well to an upgraded fuse (Synergistic Blue). I've just started wondering if my K30 would benefit from maybe an Orange fuse - but I have no idea if it even has a user-accessible fuse. It looks like there's a little door that could be popped open above the IEC where the voltage can be selected. A fuse could be hidden behind there but I was reluctant to go fishing.

Have any of you K series owners inquired about the fuse?

WAVE High Fidelity

Mar 4, 2021
Leics, UK
www.wavehighfidelity.com
My previous Innuos Zenith servers responded well to an upgraded fuse (Synergistic Blue). I've just started wondering if my K30 would benefit from maybe an Orange fuse - but I have no idea if it even has a user-accessible fuse. It looks like there's a little door that could be popped open above the IEC where the voltage can be selected. A fuse could be hidden behind there but I was reluctant to go fishing.

Have any of you K series owners inquired about the fuse?
It looks like the same fuseholder as the CX and EX and I attach the user instructions from their manual.
Screenshot 2021-03-12 at 07.23.05.png

WAVE High Fidelity

Mar 4, 2021
Leics, UK
www.wavehighfidelity.com
@kennyb123 In the interests of full disclosure I should perhaps have said that a friend with a K50 has loaned me these to try . . . . I am so far reluctant to try them because it just seems too close to foo, especially when he urges me to try them inserted in different directions to get the best sound.

fuses.jpg

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
@kennyb123 In the interests of full disclosure I should perhaps have said that a friend with a K50 has loaned me these to try . . . . I am so far reluctant to try them because it just seems too close to foo, especially when he urges me to try them inserted in different directions to get the best sound.

View attachment 75845
With the RO54 the RO apparently stands for Roswell :)

Just jkin... I’m a try and listen guy. If it seems better than what you have potentially all fine. Though the issue with standards and ratings on fuse safety and the functional aspects of a fuse doing what a fuse needs to do is always part of that deal though... if I can get similar improvements somewhere else in the chain that doesn’t involve potential issues of warranty that is also a good thing. Also I’m figuring if the fuses start doing what they’re supposed to do it can get to be an expensive habit :eek:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Celts88

WAVE High Fidelity

Mar 4, 2021
Leics, UK
www.wavehighfidelity.com
One fine day when I am feeling brave I might first swop out the factory fuses for the same dimension solid copper on the basis that if fuses do make a difference to the sound then no fuse must surely sound better than having a fuse in circuit. (Note to all those who worry, this will only be a temporary thing and I am aware of the risks.)

Reactions: Tuckia and matthias

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
One fine day when I am feeling brave I might first swop out the factory fuses for the same dimension solid copper on the basis that if fuses do make a difference to the sound then no fuse must surely sound better than having a fuse in circuit.

Indeed,
it sounds much better without fuses :)

Matt

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Public service announcement

In the first 35 years of this hobby I blew about two fuses, one by stupidity. In the last 2.5 weeks I’ve blown (3) fuses in the K50. The first time by apparently not allowing the unit to discharge long enough before unplugging. The next time I mistakenly unplugged the unit from the power conditioner, which promptly blew the common fuse. After changing fuses and plugging in the cord, it then blew the other fuse as the power supply finished discharging through ground. (Both hot and common are fused in this holder)

I’m glad I’m throwing out the $1 variety fuses and not the $150 variety. YMMV

Just sharing now that I know what not to do. Be certain the orientation of the fuse holder is correct for your regional power grid. If you are stupid enough to blow fuses you might be qualified to screw this up as well. :rolleyes:

These are 1A fast blow type as supplied. It might be wise to consider higher amperage slow blows if going orange. Yes, a copper rod is much less likely to open, but my power conditioner with fast acting protection wouldn’t have helped with any of this.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
These are 1A fast blow type as supplied. It might be wise to consider higher amperage slow blows if going orange. Yes, a copper rod is much less likely to open, but my power conditioner with fast acting protection wouldn’t have helped with any of this.

Thank you very much for the PSA. It’s always a good idea to go one size higher with the SR fuses. Especially so in this case. I should probably go ahead and order spare generic fuses just in case.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I think it is fair to mention that CM-Audio is the German importer of Antipodes Audio.

Matt
I think the OP is an advertising rep and using this site to sell its products. - [EDIT:] The admin team has investigated this claim and the facts do not substantiate the claim with this one.

clive101

Mar 12, 2021
The K50 is supplied with 2 x 2 amp fast blow fuses or 2 x 1 amp slow blow depending on country.
While on demo the K30 blew one fuse of the two.
Hope that helps.
Ceramic type sound better IMO if your purchasing spares.

Reactions: Tuckia

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
This is interesting. Do you have evidence to this effect?
No disrespect meant and I could be wrong but my statement is based on the number, detail, and volume of the OP's posts. For me, it passes the "looks like, smells like, feels like, tastes like" test.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing