Introduction of my new Antipodes K50 Music Server

philoouu

Dec 14, 2012
@shakti
Thanks for coming back to me.
I noticed that Antipodes is not communicating about power/memory. This is their choice obviously.
I am not talking about sound quality; it makes sense to think that is not correlated with power/memory. My point is just to say that running a Roon music server with a large library is more confortable with lots of power/memory (advised by Roonlabs itself).
Now if you tell me you have 14TB of music in your K-50 on 3 different SSD and it runs smoothly, I think it is probably powerful enough!

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
When you say "records" do you mean digital downloads/CD-rips or "digitized" LPs ("records")?
Also, how do you back up you 14TB of music?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
When you say "records" do you mean digital downloads/CD-rips or "digitized" LPs ("records")?
Also, how do you back up you 14TB of music?
Sorry, I am old fashioned analog socialized, for me a "Album" or a "Record" is the same.
The most of my files are ripped CD's .
4 to 5 TB of the files are High Res. This files are downloads or PCM converted SACD.

Back up is done on 4x4TB of standard external HD

My K50 internal filing is blocked into 4x4TB sections.

Ultrafast69

VIP/Donor
Aug 27, 2018
Seattle, WA
www.audio-ultra.com
Sounds like you are happy with the Antipodes K50!

What is interesting is I use AES from the server (Aurender) as well, yet Brinkmann claims USB and Ethernet are superior as an asynchronous connection. I am aware Brinkmann builds upon the Sabre ESS9018 DAC chips for PCM and their own discrete implementation for DSD. They do not use any of the ESS chips standard features and claim most (if not all) other manufacturers, use the ESS chips integrated filter which they do not incorporate in their build. Brinkmann places more importance on the power supply, digital circuitry, and analog filters etc. are at least as important if not much more than the DAC.

Reactions: shakti

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
To me, whether usb or spdif/aes is better depends on whether the transport/server or DAC has the better clock

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
@shakti
Thanks for coming back to me.
I noticed that Antipodes is not communicating about power/memory. This is their choice obviously.
I am not talking about sound quality; it makes sense to think that is not correlated with power/memory. My point is just to say that running a Roon music server with a large library is more confortable with lots of power/memory (advised by Roonlabs itself).
Now if you tell me you have 14TB of music in your K-50 on 3 different SSD and it runs smoothly, I think it is probably powerful enough!
Per the Antipodes website, the K50 server section (V5.6H board) has a 6 core processor. If this is the same board from the CX it is an i7 processor. Haven’t seen any information on RAM or other board memory. My CX responds quickly FWiW.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
nice review (German):

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
My favorite line from the review which I find absolutely correct.

"Annoyance is absolutely alien to the K50. His ability to resolve and fine-tune is always peppered with so much timbre that you can or want to listen to him for hours. He has that certain something attached to him, because he knows how to merge sensitive and unobtrusive tonal splendor, fine dynamics and richness of detail."

Reactions: Scott W and shakti

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
@shakti

Thanks for your detailed reports on the K50.
I am following this product for some time now; I run Roon on my Mac mini and connect by ethernet to my Roon Ready Integrated Devialet Expert; I am really interested about upgrading to K50 but I am trying to find out how a dedicated music server, especially the K50 would improve my system.

You mention you have a relatively large music library? How fast is it? I am wondering how much is the memory on the K50; I cannot find the specifications of the processor/memory. I know that Roon needs power and memory so I would like to clarify this point.

Thanks and regards
philoouu
Well, if my experience is typical, I demoed both the Innuos Statement and the K50 in my system and neither made a difference in SQ with my Linn Klimax DSM or my Trinnov Amethyst using their ethernet direct outs to the Linn and Trinnov. What did make a difference was replacing my Cisco switch with a Melco S100 w/ a Farad Super3 power supply. Still, if you want to try it in your own system and don't have an Antipodes dealer nearby, working with the company direct was a great experience.

Reactions: christoph

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Still, if you want to try it in your own system and don't have an Antipodes dealer nearby, working with the company direct was a great experience.
I’ve been working with them directly to purchase a K30. I agree wholeheartedly with you.

How long did it take for the K50 to get from them to you? I’m in the Seattle area - and I think you may be too.

David

Aug 11, 2012
In the last time my focus was mainly on the analoge section of my set up, now I am planning to move ahead with digital.

My current analog set up:
- TechDAS AF3 Premium turntable
- Acoustical Systems Axiom tonearm
- Etsuro Gold cartridge
- Boulder 2008 PhonoPre

has developed into a quality area, that I am using my previous digital signal source, consisting of

- Innuos Zenith MK III MusicServer/Rooncore
- Innuos Phoenix USB clock
- 3x Melco 4TB NAS / Server (used only as NAS
- Brinkmann Nyquist II DAC

not so much anymore.

In this respect, I went through the various ways of potential improvement.
I wanted to avoid continuing to distribute the music on several external high-quality NAS, as this requires "expensive" rack space and cabling.

Due to the quality of the Zenith SSD memory, it quickly became clear that I would like to save all the music of about 14TB on SSD.

Since I was not satisfied with the sound of conventional NAS (that's why I had the Melco devices), it was clear that I needed a MusicServer that can be upgraded to at lest 16TB SSD minimum.

My previous sonic experiences with, for example, the Innuos Statement (one year ago) or the Taiko Audio SGM music server (5 years ago version) kept my sonic expectations at a low level, as these devices had not yet been able to convince me 100% of the price they asked for.

I have been cooperating with the company CM-Audio for several years,
Thanks to many joint workshops, I know the owner Markus very well with regard to his sound preferences.
I keep getting tips and suggestions from Markus, an excellent digital expert. So I had contact with the Antipodes devices at workshops,
because Markus likes to do his demonstrations with them.
When Markus asked me a few weeks ago that there would be new Antipodes MusicServer soon, my curiosity was aroused.
I then exchanged views with his partner Torsten several times.
When finally the new big one Antipodes K50 music server

https://antipodes.audio/antipodes-music-servers.php https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/rev...-music-server/
https://www.fairaudio.de/test/antipodes-s30-und-k50-musikserver/

became available in Germany and Torsten was able to gain initial experience in his high-quality private facility,
it quickly became clear that Antipodes could obviously move the previous tonal limitations in the music server area.
My further research in the international area confirmed Torsten's first experiences!
So I decided at short notice to integrate the Antipodes K50 into my system.
Thanks to three SATA slots there were 2x Samsung 8TB SSD (RRP together approx. 1,700 EUR) quickly assembled.

The device has been with me for a short time so that I can familiarize myself with it.

I will write about my first experiences and more about Antipodes in the next post.
(as Antipodes was a not so well known brand for me)

View attachment 71961
Dear shakti,
I am also owner of Brinkmann Nyquist mkII, very interesting feedback ; thanks.
I will have to try this Antipodes K50 !!!
At this moment i have tried Aurender W20 and Grimm MU1. Very good with MU1. Based on your report, i will try to find a solution to test the combination with Antipodes K50 :)
I have the same opinion about AES-EBU ... previously i used USB, but now i have tried MU1 with ly Nyquist, i prefer a lot with AES-EBU.
David

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
Dear shakti,
I am also owner of Brinkmann Nyquist mkII, very interesting feedback ; thanks.
I will have to try this Antipodes K50 !!!
At this moment i have tried Aurender W20 and Grimm MU1. Very good with MU1. Based on your report, i will try to find a solution to test the combination with Antipodes K50 :)
I have the same opinion about AES-EBU ... previously i used USB, but now i have tried MU1 with ly Nyquist, i prefer a lot with AES-EBU.
David
David, I look forward to your feedback between the Grimm and the Antipodes.

The Grimm which I chose (last year in December '19), the K50 was not out then and an A/B with the previous Antipodes combo put the Grimm MU-1 far ahead. The MU-1 had the ability to take all red book and upsample it to 176.4Khz through their proprietary FPGA card. This made all my CD rips and streaming sound better than even my CD transport (Playback Designs). And The Grimm even held up to the Taiko Extreme when I heard that. I was such a fan of multiple times DSD being played native, that the down conversion of that in the Grimm did not deter any difference in SQ on playback.
What I find interesting is that both manufacturers recommend AES/EBU for their outputs.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
And The Grimm even held up to the Taiko Extreme when I heard that.

Blessed new year 2021.
Please can you elaborate further on this comparison, very curious.
Thanks

Matt

FredM

Dec 28, 2019
Another comparision between various outputs:

Using USB the Antipodes K50 and Taiko Extreme where very close.
With a BNC SPDIF output the K50 was preferred (slightly)

It’s a nice example of the relevance of the (personal) context and preferences in which a comparison is made (how is it connected, with which DAC, etc, etc..) to find ones personal best (favourite) which integrates with the other variables.

Reactions: Hieukm

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Blessed new year 2021.
Please can you elaborate further on this comparison, very curious.
Thanks

Matt
looks like, that a stand alone thread about the Grimm MU-1 is the way to go?

Reactions: Nevillekapadia

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
Another comparision between various outputs:

Using USB the Antipodes K50 and Taiko Extreme where very close.
With a BNC SPDIF output the K50 was preferred (slightly)

It’s a nice example of the relevance of the (personal) context and preferences in which a comparison is made (how is it connected, with which DAC, etc, etc..) to find ones personal best (favourite) which integrates with the other variables.
Looks like we got the first report where another server was preferred over Taiko Extreme.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You gotta love a review that says Component A beats Component B. The end. Lol

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Looks like we got the first report where another server was preferred over Taiko Extreme.
I suppose the TE was running Roon, not TAS. The impact of software is at least 50% of SQ, IMO.

Matt

Reactions: Hieukm

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
I suppose the TE was running Roon, not TAS. The impact of software is at least 50% of SQ, IMO.

Matt
The Antipodes cost much less than Taiko. Roon can also be improved in future. Very interesting.

Although i am another Dave + Mscaler user and report saying Taiko can do wonder with HQPlayers still make me wondering.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
if one Server is playing USB and one Server is playing SPDIF no real comparison is possible.
Too many variables.
Anyhow, he made a statement and without even reading the details of his text , this statement will create a story and much more people will become aware about the blog :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing