Introduction of my new Antipodes K50 Music Server

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
  1. Server MUST be best in class, dealing with vagaries of networking (noise, latency etc).
  2. Support both local and network streamed audio. One box solution is ideal.
  3. Sever should be capable of dynamics and transient speed - music must come to life, with little sonic signature (as neutral as possible)
  4. Two-tier architecture seems like a great way to keep noise further away from the DAC - but it must not sacrifice the ability for music to come to life.
  5. I don't want to have to have to upgrade PS to achieve best quality.
  6. Excellent internal clock, ideally master clock option. (Nice to have)
  7. Regular upgrades/updates should offered. The upgrades should be transparently communicated. Hardware upgrades if possible.
  8. Robust, reliable software. Good UI with support for industry standard SW options (HQPlayer etc.)!!!!
  9. Great pre- and post-sales support.
  10. Community forum with employees actually participating.
  11. Company should be more well-established. Solid business model. This is big investment
  12. The server should allow me to install my own drives.
  13. Direct support, is must have.
Taiko hits all of them. Antipodes K50 would hit them all except not best in class. Though if you were to say “best in class for a budget not to exceed $15K” then it would hit that and the rest of them. (The Extreme isn’t really two tier, but it doesn’t need to be as the hardware and software work together to reduce noise to insanely low levels).

Innuos, Auralic and Aurender hit some of these. Grimm might hit fewer, I can’t say. As far as other brands, I can’t say.

If you have $25-30K to spend then by all means get an Extreme. You won’t regret it.

My advice though would be to just go for a K50 and not worry about doing any comparisons to others. Just kick back and enjoy the music. Give it one of the Shunyata v2 power cords and if you can, get a Shunyata Omega USB cable. You won’t regret not going for another server - and you will be joining us in recommending Antipodes to others.

Oops just noticed the master clock requirement. I don’t think that should be a requirement as it’s not needed for a server.

Last edited:

speakerlust

Mar 26, 2011
I agree with kennyb123 the Taiko SGM Extreme is most likely the current overall best in class server, as well as his thoughts on the K50. I have not personally heard the SGM Extreme, but am very impressed with accolades from owners with very sophisticated systems, have experience with other servers, and many of them adept in building and tweaking audio equipment. Taiko appears to me to truly understand where they are positioned in the market and actively are demonstrating ongoing commitment to increase capabilities and performance to maintain and expand that position. For me however, Taiko is still a economic commitment bridge too far for me to yet cross.

Networking optimization is more complex than just the server. Your upstream modem, router, and WIFI and their power supplies influence results down line to the server. I think switches and their power supplies also can make a difference. We are seeing an increase in audiophile switch offerings with more to come, including Taiko. You have to decide your tinkering tolerance as well as financial tolerance.

I think it prudent to consider how the various individual pieces contribute to total system sound fulfillment and how flexible they are to changes in technology/market driven changes, as well as how much you are willing to spend ongoing. Audiophile systems, in my experience, are a a journey and not a permanent destination. Some of my expenditure changes occurred due to equipment breakdown and obsolesce, but admittedly Audiophile FOMO (fear of missing out) has been far more influential for me. Ratbastrd, if you purchase a server possibly twice the cost of the rest of your system, most probably you will end up spending considerably more on other pieces in attempt to get the sound quality potential promise of that server. If you have the means and desire for the SGM Extreme, I believe it would be a great choice, but could very well mean further changes in your building system.

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
You won’t be disappointed with the performance of the K50. I’m at near the 6 month mark, when peak performance is realized. Even with Roon as the server and Squeezelite as the player, I never ponder how/why the server is compromising the sound. It just gets out of the way like nothing else I’ve had. The previous CX-EX would make me pause. I could tell it wasn’t letting it all come through. It’s sins were of omission. Never fatiguing, but the set lacked full resolution, which became audible in the smoothing of leading edges and transitions. there were other omissions related to staging, depth, separation, and dynamics which would occasionally detract from the experience. Regardless of it’s PS design, the K50 is just better. Don’t worry about it. SMPS can be quite good. Even Berning has designed an excellent SMPS for his amps that is superior to other LPS I’ve heard.

If budget limited, like most of us, the $15k difference between the K50 and Extreme can be put to good use on the rest of the system. Like Kennyb123, I use the Omega USB and Alpha v2 NR power cord. Both are expensive, but very worthwhile. The Extreme user I know also uses the Omega USB but with the Sigma V2 NR cord. That’s almost $7k of cords right there.
Enjoy.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Regardless of it’s PS design, the K50 is just better. Don’t worry about it. SMPS can be quite good. Even Berning has designed an excellent SMPS for his amps that is superior to other LPS I’ve heard.
It‘s actually a hybrid power supply in the K series and the S60. It provides the speed of a SMPS without the negatives typically associated the SMPS.

Reactions: richard_crl032

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
The previous CX-EX would make me pause. I could tell it wasn’t letting it all come through. It’s sins were of omission. Never fatiguing, but the set lacked full resolution, which became audible in the smoothing of leading edges and transitions. there were other omissions related to staging, depth, separation, and dynamics which would occasionally detract from the experience.
That’s really well said and similar to my impression off my K30 relative to my previous Innuos Zenith. What you wrote also reminded me of the Shunyata Sigma USB cable. Had the Omega not come along I would be singing the Sigma’s praises. It really let’s a lot more come through and is an excellent choice for those not wanting to stretch to the Omega. The Omega lets a bit more through - particularly in the low frequencies. But what makes is so very much worth the price is the amazing transparency it brings.

Reactions: onsionsi and Tuckia

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
That’s really well said and similar to my impression off my K30 relative to my previous Innuos Zenith. What you wrote also reminded me of the Shunyata Sigma USB cable. Had the Omega not come along I would be singing the Sigma’s praises. It really let’s a lot more come through and is an excellent choice for those not wanting to stretch to the Omega. The Omega lets a bit more through - particularly in the low frequencies. But what makes is so very much worth the price is the amazing transparency it brings.
Yes, clarity. I’d say the effect of these Shunyata cords is analogous to stargazing near the bright lights of the city compared to the remote countryside. Same stars, less light that detracts from the intended view - greater contrast, relief, breadth, and depth. More meaningful experience. Even the Alpha level is impressive. All omega must be like gazing from the space station. I’ll never get there either. OK, back to the regular programming.

Reactions: kennyb123

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I’ve been a long time owner of Shunyata power cables and also owned their signal cables back in the Zitron series but less a fan generally with Shunyata signal cables essentially because of finding that going all 7n upocc silver for signal cables gave a less artifact heavy outcome than I found with the more recent Shunyata approach and their shift to an increasing use of filters as part of their geometry.

Interesting that with the Omega series Shunyata have apparently adopted a hybrid upocc silver core along with the essential upocc copper cores structure. That would account for an increase in transparency and make the cable likely feel simply less apparent. But the increased use of filters with current Shunyata cables has been a more troubling negative for me when I trialled them.

I tried recent sigmas in signal cables including USB and Ethernet and found the same issues I had with earlier sigma signal cables… a nice sound but slight reticence that holds them back from sounding more effortless, a quality that the best upocc silver has along with greater bass agility and rightness.

But these things are just about preferences. Perhaps since I have a couple of whole looms of 7n upocc silver cables (Wireworld platinum and Neotech) and running with set and horns negates for me having to then chase too much more in the way of resolution in the front end which perhaps is why I’m happily content with my antipodes setup as it is… but I do see that if perhaps I had less immediate box speakers or a system based around all SS electronics I’d really see the attraction and the advantages in chasing ecc been greater resolving detail in the current antipodes or Extreme as well. It’s for me about tipping points into rightness.

The Shunyata signal cables would then work better for me specified with solid state because they have that slight bottom up full balance and a copper shaped top end. I’d imagine the addition of a silver core along with the cores of copper within the geometry might bring some of the upocc silver capacity for bass agility as well as greater transparency and immediacy. Analysis helps to bring a more context based approach and in the end system building is always a summative thing at any rate and that can negate any one best approach with gear let alone a best infrastructure approach for choice of cables as well.

Last edited:

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I tried recent sigmas in signal cables including USB and Ethernet and found the same issues I had with earlier sigma signal cables… a nice sound but slight reticence that holds them back from sounding more effortless, a quality that the best upocc silver has along with greater bass agility and rightness.
Their ArNi conductor first made its appearance in their Alpha and Sigma USB and Ethernet cables. Omega then followed, I believe. And now pretty much all their v2 cables use that same conductor.

According to Shunyata ArNi “begins with the highest purity of copper and silver metals available, including Ohno (single crystal), PCOCC silver and OFE C0101 conductors.”

There may be some other explanation for what you think is holding them back than their choice of conductor.

One thing I discovered is that the positive qualities of the ArNi conductors come forth to a greater degree the more it’s used throughout. Not at all easy though to audition a full loom unfortunately.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Their ArNi conductor first made its appearance in their Alpha and Sigma USB and Ethernet cables. Omega then followed, I believe. And now pretty much all their v2 cables use that same conductor.

According to Shunyata ArNi “begins with the highest purity of copper and silver metals available, including Ohno (single crystal), PCOCC silver and OFE C0101 conductors.”

There may be some other explanation for what you think is holding them back than their choice of conductor.

One thing I discovered is that the positive qualities of the ArNi conductors come forth to a greater degree the more it’s used throughout. Not at all easy though to audition a full loom unfortunately.
The cost of going all upocc silver instead of the mix of cores is a factor in that it is less often done in cables and that mixing the metals can create an outcome which likely has both pros and cons. I’ve tried combination of pure silver and pure copper core hybrids and also silver gold mixes as well but I find all 7n upocc silver as a loom is essentially coherent and has a particular nature that makes it possible to develop an overall system strategy that makes it work at its best in my setup. Simple approaches with SET, upocc silver and horn work best for me but it can have other applications or not work in some setups so therefore isn’t the only choice.

But I do think that increasing use of more filters in more recent Shunyata iterations could be a double edged sword. Unity and coherence is likely harder to achieve the more complex that you make things.

The main thing I was suggesting is that the context of all our systems are set up differently so a considered best choice criteria in certain systems creates the opportunity then for the different design potentials or design constraints of the choice to have variable impacts especially in terms of achieving some ultimate or summative rightness. We all have very different systems so also that we then have different pathways to rightness.

I am with you in that there are benefits of applying a full loom when you settle on a cable approach in terms of its materiality and that swapping out the last parts can create more of a tipping point potential where the last small changes snap things into place when it’s consistent material all throughout. A kind of coherence in the nature of the sound. Though I’m not sure that is a complete rule as I still separate the power cables out as a different category to the rest of the signal loom. But then I do keep all the power cords with consistent approach in their materiality and essential geometry.

Last edited:

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
The main thing I was suggesting is that the context of all our systems are set up differently so a considered best choice criteria in certain systems creates the opportunity then for the different design potentials or design constraints of the choice to have variable impacts especially in terms of achieving some ultimate or summative rightness. We all have very different systems so also that we then have different pathways to rightness
Excellent post! I especially like the paragraph I quoted.

I think we each hear differently too. We have differing sensitivity to noise, artifacts and colorations. And that can be reflected in our choices.

I also think our ears are drawn to different aspects of musical reproduction. For me it’s always been drums and percussion foremost. I can’t bear to listen to systems that screw them up.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Excellent post! I especially like the paragraph I quoted.

I think we each hear differently too. We have differing sensitivity to noise, artifacts and colorations. And that can be reflected in our choices.

I also think our ears are drawn to different aspects of musical reproduction. For me it’s always been drums and percussion foremost. I can’t bear to listen to systems that screw them up.
Very much agree with all your thoughts there, we tend to have different physical sensitivities and we also have different music and sonic preferences that aren’t static and reflect the music that has meaning to us and our need or desire for certain kinds of sound fields as well… all this can also change quite a bit through time as we grow and develop into new phases of life.

When I was in my teens and up to my 30’s dance and electronic music featured more in the mix so getting the room energised was a big factor, when I moved into apartment living I ended up with a two way stand speaker and valves and my early love of jazz and classical cut through and dominated even more my preferred listening directions.

My uncle was a jazz pianist and I was brought up on a diet of great piano (jazz and classical) so piano music and systems that can portray piano are my great love as well… so if a system can’t do piano especially convincingly it isn’t going to get a run. So I eventually graduated to the larger Magnepans and later to open baffle horns both of which are among the most believable launchers of extraordinary full range acoustic energy with all the incredible micro resolving of all the parts from attack through to decay of a piano key strike. I also realised that I am a complete coherence junkie and very sensitive to discontinuity. That all the systems I loved most over the years were bound by great coherence… and now I’m even more so since I realised that it has become part of my reinforced core expectations about what is good and what is not yet good.

So now I am aiming to maintain my hearing to extend my music and audio joy late into life and I’ve swapped up to the big 2 way OB horns and 16 ohm woofers and am enjoying music more often at very much lower DBs than even 4 or 5 years ago and still completely engaging in the music and the presence and effortless dynamics (micro and macro).

It’s the system as I have grown to have it that makes this possible and a return to the music focus that started it all for me. I also found moving up to a great server like the Antipodes combo helped me really achieve that with a front end platform for both engaging in an expansive way of exploring music and a fundamental believable musicality that really fits both my nature and the nature of all the music that I most love.

Last edited:

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
So now I am aiming to maintain my hearing to extend my music and audio joy late into life and I’ve swapped up to the big 2 way OB horns and 16 ohm woofers and am enjoying music more often at very much lower DBs than even 4 or 5 years ago and still completely engaging in the music and the presence and effortless dynamics (micro and macro).
I was unfamiliar with your horns so just poked around on the PureAudioProject website. Wow their speakers look so cool!! I was going to ask your thoughts on Voxativ when I read that you are "very sensitive to discontinuity". But I see that the Trio 15 offers "three options of Voxativ drivers". But I'm guessing you have the horn drivers instead. I realize we've ventured off topic but I just wanted to mention that I'm hugely impressed. I bet you have one heck of an enjoyable system. Kudos to you!

I'm especially glad to hear that the Antipodes combo plays a key role in your system. They are truly wonderful products. I very much appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I was unfamiliar with your horns so just poked around on the PureAudioProject website. Wow their speakers look so cool!! I was going to ask your thoughts on Voxativ when I read that you are "very sensitive to discontinuity". But I see that the Trio 15 offers "three options of Voxativ drivers". But I'm guessing you have the horn drivers instead. I realize we've ventured off topic but I just wanted to mention that I'm hugely impressed. I bet you have one heck of an enjoyable system. Kudos to you!

I'm especially glad to hear that the Antipodes combo plays a key role in your system. They are truly wonderful products. I very much appreciate you sharing your thoughts.
Thank you, there’s no shortage of passion around on WBF about the gear we put so much of ourselves into. I usually assume that most all of us are having a fairly awesome time of it and enjoying all that we all seem to put into the discovery.

I’ve still got the Pap trios but now that I’ve got the big Pap quintets (horn version) settled in as well I’m going to sell my Magnepan 20.7s and perhaps even the Harbeth 40.2s as well as I get myself into downsize mode.

But the antipodes will stay a core part going forwards along with the other electronics I have for the time being… maybe forever even.

I thought about going to the new Antipodes K series and am impressed by all the sharing you guys have done but have decided to stay with the Cx+Ex while I’ve still got a few other things to get done in my system first.

Might get a bit more out of their current lifecycle and rethink them again perhaps the next iteration from Antipodes down the track. There are simply other things that I think will make greater return on investment to upgrade for me at the moment. But I do occasionally get gear lust syndrome when you guys say how much you’re enjoying the new K’s. Am quite loving it vicariously so definitely keep the feedback happening, it is good especially in these locked down times.

Last edited:
Reactions: kennyb123

Rejean

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2021
A little testimony. I replaced my ROON Nucleus with an Antipodes K40 server. The K40 is connected to my dCS Rossini DAC + Masterclock by a Shunyata Omega RJ / E cable. The ROON core is on the K40 and the Rossini is the ROON endpoint. The connection is via ethernet because the K40 has only one RJ / E output. The difference is spectacular. Although I have done my best to improve the sound quality of the Nucleus (Farad Super3 LPS + Audio Sensibility DC cable), the sound coming from the K40 server is significantly richer and more transparent. The music is palpable and engaging. Some parts that seemed a bit dull to me with the Nucleus have come alive again. Hard to believe. I also notice more natural tones and a more three-dimensional presentation. The extension in the high and low frequencies is superb and the harmonics are lost in a silent background. The symbiosis between the Antipodes K40 server and the dCS Rossini DAC is excellent.

Rejean

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2021
@Rejean,

Was the Shunyata Omega RJ/E cable also in use with the ROON Nucleus?
Good question. With my Roon Nucleus I used a Synergistic Research Atmosphere X RJ / E cable for two years. I used the Shunyata Omega RJ / E for a few days with the Nucleus before installing the K40 Antipodes. Indeed the Shunyata cable is superior. Even with the Synergistic Research cable the K40 offers superb sound.

Reactions: speakerlust

markramler

Sep 19, 2014
New York, NY
Can the Antipodes K40 be used as a Roon core to replace the Nucleus?

Rejean

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2021
Can the Antipodes K40 be used as a Roon core to replace the Nucleus?
The K40 acts as a server only. It perfectly replaces the ROON Nucleus. All you need to do is transfer your ROON database to the K40. It is designed for DACs which are ROON Ready and which are optimized for an Ethernet input (eg: dCS Rossini).

Reactions: markramler

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
I would consider one of these for my multichannel system, which has a Trinnov Altitude 32 as the AV processor and DAC. It is a Roon ready device with an Ethernet input.

I use Ethernet for device control (e.g. volume control and surround format via both Crestron and an iPad VNC interface) and for sending the Roon feed.

Will the K40 also pass those non-Roon control signals, or, does it “purify” the Ethernet feed and only pass the Roon streams / commands?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing