Introduction of my new Antipodes K50 Music Server

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Are there any comparisons of K50 or other Antipodes models to Aurender N20?
Not a direct answer to your question, but I noticed that you have a turntable. I think one thing that my K30 does exceptionally well is deliver the tonal weight and density that I used to get with vinyl. In this review of the K30, the author does a great job of describing these qualities (Chrome browser will translate this for you). The K50 will take all these qualities to the next level.

Since there are no reviews comparing the two, then maybe you can try to piece together which sonic description better fits with your listening preferences.

Also check out the Antipodes support forums on their website to see how well they've been supporting their customers. https://antipodes.support

Reactions: abeidrov

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
Not a direct answer to your question, but I noticed that you have a turntable. I think one thing that my K30 does exceptionally well is deliver the tonal weight and density that I used to get with vinyl. In this review of the K30, the author does a great job of describing these qualities (Chrome browser will translate this for you). The K50 will take all these qualities to the next level.

Since there are no reviews comparing the two, then maybe you can try to piece together which sonic description better fits with your listening preferences.

Also check out the Antipodes support forums on their website to see how well they've been supporting their customers. https://antipodes.support
SQ aside, the other thing to remember with Aurender is if you're a Roon user, Aurender doesn't do Roon. For that matter, any of the other server/players that you may be using with your Antipodes aren't available either.

Reactions: kennyb123

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
I’d say it merits consideration for those who want to hear more of what their components can do. I’m sure there are many other options that are direct competitors to the PSR. Comparing it to the stepping stone cords demonstrates the difference what a good, and often expensive, power cord can make. Auditions are just about mandatory, unless you really like playing roulette. Zenwave is one of the companies that participates in this. I’ve liked everything he has sent me so far.
Nice to hear the feedback on the Zenwave products...Looking into it for my K50 and my DAC at the moment. Not cheap though. Ouch!

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
For those who miss seeing their cpu utilisation screen on the 3.12 antipodes AMS here is a poll started by mark Cole to see user interest in adding this in future firmware update

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Still breaking in my k50 seems to be opening up as time ticks away...I took to leaving the Roon player running and my amp off when not in use, can't leave my amp on for long, long periods because it's pure Class A. Hopefully that is helping.

I'd agree with alot of the sentiments throughout this thread (with the exception of the user Sales the troll measurement idiot who derailed the middle of the thread) the K50 adds dimension, weight, and quiet to the signal that just wasn't there before. I am just allowing the unit to fully break in so I completely understand what thing is doing in my system before I start messing with cables, inputs etc. The temptation is real.

With all that said, I tend to apply a very subjective "is it worth the $$" or a "could I achieve the same with something cheaper" or a "could I be just as satisfied without it" to all the equipment I purchase. As I mentioned I am reserving 100% judgement for now while the K50 breaks in completely, I do realize break is a very real thing. Then I will apply some tweaks, maybe even take it back out and see how my system sounds without it, then judge.

I have however listened to enough music at this point that it might allow for what I'd consider a snap judgement...If I were to go off of those first impressions I'd say I am not blown away by this $15k box. It sounds good, I'd say close to the impact of some other lesser priced tweaks I've made over the 25+ years I've been in this hobby.

For this system I'd say my Amp, and DAC are hands down the most impactful upgrades I've made, I never ever think about whether they were worth it. Take everything I've said at face value, I am optimistic the K50, mainly due to the cost, can achieve that status. Time will tell.

Last edited:

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Still breaking in my k50 seems to be opening up as time ticks away...I took to leaving the Roon running and my amp off when not in use, can't leave my amp on for long, long periods because it's pure Class A. Hopefully that is helping.

I'd agree with alot of the sentiments throughout this thread (with the exception of the user Sales the troll measurement idiot who derailed the middle of the thread) the K50 adds dimension, weight, and quiet to the signal that just wasn't there before. I am just allowing the unit to fully break in so I completely understand what thing is doing in my system before I start messing with cables, inputs etc. The temptation is real.

With all that said, I tend to apply a very subjective "is it worth the $$" or a "could I achieve the same with something cheaper" or a "could I be just as satisfied without it" to all the equipment I purchase. As I mentioned I am reserving 100% judgement for now while the K50 breaks in completely, I do realize break is a very real thing. Then I will apply some tweaks, maybe even take it back out and see how my system sounds without it, then judge.

I have however listened to enough music at this point that it might allow for what I'd consider a snap judgement...If I were to go off of those first impressions I'd say I am not blown away by this $15k box. It sounds good, I'd say close to the impact of some other lesser priced tweaks I've made over the 25+ years I've been in this hobby.

For this system I'd say my Amp, and DAC are hands down the most impactful upgrades I've made, I never ever think about whether they were worth it. Take everything I've said at face value, I am optimistic the K50, mainly due to the cost, can achieve that status. Time will tell.
Hello skid929. Congratulations on the K50. What were you using prior to the Antipodes? I came from Aurender. The K50 does take a good bit to fully break in (several 100 hours). I remember first plugging mine in an the first 20 hours were absolutely horrible. I was thinking... what happened??? But as I continued to continuously play music through it it opened up more and more.

The K50 is very responsive to "tweaks". Things like the power cord, footers and signal grounding boxes.

Are you doing the proUSB with your discrete dac? If not then that is HUGE.

Enjoy the journey.

Reactions: skids929

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
Still breaking in my k50 seems to be opening up as time ticks away...I took to leaving the Roon running and my amp off when not in use, can't leave my amp on for long, long periods because it's pure Class A. Hopefully that is helping.

I'm curious, how have you connected the K50 to your MSB DAC?

I ask, because in my experience, I haven't noticed that much of a difference using the LAN Direct from the K50 into my Linn KDSM - the Melco S100 made a bigger difference in my system - so when I demoed one in late 2020, I ended up sending it back (I didn't try the other outputs because Linn says that ethernet is best).

I recently picked up a used K50 because my Small Green Computer wasn't upgradable to the latest versions of Windows and because K50 users have been speaking positively about using the digital outs and the different server/player combos that are available using these outputs.

I am still breaking in cables (Pink Faun Digital Interlinks and BNC) and the digital outputs/clock on the K50 (the previous owner never used these connections, in fact, I had to send it to Antipodes service when I got it because these outputs weren't working - turns out a cable was disconnected for some reason) and I have connected both the Direct LAN and SPDIF outputs to the KDSM so I can switch back and forth and see if the different server/player combos work.

While it is early in the evaluation and the LAN cables have been fully broken in for a while, I still stand by my earlier observation, that used just as a server and the Direct LAN connections, there are better (and more economical) ways to improve SQ, at least in my system. That said, even though Linn says that ethernet is best, I am finding that I slightly prefer using the K50 as player/renderer instead of the KDSM - like you said, there seems to be more weight, dimension and blacker blacks using the SPDIF connection. I think this is a result of being able to use the different software combos and, perhaps, Antipodes' clock...but that said, I don't know if the clock is better than the one on the new KDSM.

Again, while the PF LAN cables are fully broken in, the PF BNC cable needs 300 - 500 hours (per Jord) for it to be broken in and it won't reach 300 hours until later this week and 500 hours the week after that. I'll provide my thoughts after the cable is fully broken in.

speakerlust

Mar 26, 2011
@skids929, I applaud your patience and commitment to allowing the K50 to fully break in before changing cables, inputs, etc. In my case, I yielded to the temptation pretty early in the running hours. Good on you for staying the course on break-in. Though I complicated the evaluation with cables, footers, DACs, inputs, and serving program choices, I do feel the K50 substantially improved as hours accumulated over months of ownership.

At the onset, I was concerned about the presentation, feeling it was overly warm and congested. I noticed major improvement within first 50 hours, but evolution continued far beyond that for me. Interestingly for me, the outputs seemed to evolve at different rates, even with me trying to utilize them at somewhat similar running times--taking turns playing for a day. My general impression has been the K50 has continued to positively evolve over several hundred hours, and some of that perception could be influenced by software updates. Two of my DACs could still be used without the K50 rendering, but I do like the AES/EBU music presentation from the K50 as well as I2S. All in all, I am currently quite pleased with the K50. Best of luck to you with your ongoing experience with it.

markramler

Sep 19, 2014
New York, NY

I believe it is prudent to wait till you are complete with break-in to evaluate the K50 compared to your previous server and if satisfied with the K50 consider some tweeks. I did not wait for break-in and tried different power cables and digital cables. Unlike you I was immediately pleased with the significant improvement in the sound quality relative to a Roon Nucleus. Better digital cables such as Jorma Design improved the sound. I tried several different power cables and each significantly impacted the sound to such a degree I thought I was listening to a different component. Footers and grounding help, as I suspect they remove the excess energy and noise caused by the three LPS.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Hello skid929. Congratulations on the K50. What were you using prior to the Antipodes? I came from Aurender. The K50 does take a good bit to fully break in (several 100 hours). I remember first plugging mine in an the first 20 hours were absolutely horrible. I was thinking... what happened??? But as I continued to continuously play music through it it opened up more and more.

The K50 is very responsive to "tweaks". Things like the power cord, footers and signal grounding boxes.

Enjoy the journey.
Hello sbnx,

Which Aurender model did you have before K50? I’ve just compared N20 to my EX/CX combo. Let’s just say it was hard to return Aurender to the dealer.

Thanks.

skids929

Dec 31, 2020

Enjoy the journey.
Hi sbnx, thanks for the words of encouragement! I was using a Bricasti M5 prior to the K50 and the server was a crappy M1 MacMini running Roon. It functioned well, didn't sound as good as the K50, definitely not making any comparison to a MacMini as a server thats for sure. Mostly I am just making a judgement as to how worth it is at this point. I do think I hear improvements daily as I put more and more music tracks through it that I know very well.

As far as inputs I started out with and I am still using AES/EBU. That was definitely what sounded best out of the M5, but by no means am I married to it. I do have the Pro USB sitting here collecting dust so I am going to use it soon. Just waiting for a Silver Diamond USB to arrive so I can an apples to apples comparison to the AES.

Unfortunately for me I am not the most patient person, will just keep plugging away with it. I am really hoping this Server works out because I am likely going to the Premier Dac in the Spring of this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7ryder

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I totally get where you are coming from. I do think that the bang for the buck is different than what might expect from other classes of product. I think that’s a reflection of the relative immaturity of servers. There are only a handful of manufacturers doing an excellent job so we pay a premium to get to a particular level of performance.

I think one way we to assess whether our expenditure makes sense is to figure out how we can arrive at these same benefits from another class of component. My K30 convinced me that “source first” is a sound principle because the gains the K30 brought seemed as if they only be delivered by another high end source. Nothing downstream could have restored this.

In my case the value proposition was a lot easier because the K30 replaced both an Innuos Zenith Mk3 plus Chord M-Scaler. The $10k I paid for the K30 became a steal given the lift I got.

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Today was definitely a different day with the K50. Something opened up and I am not quite sure what but I sure did enjoy it...These are the moments I want to go over to ASR and be a rabble-rouser.

Reactions: ICUToo

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
Today was definitely a different day with the K50. Something opened up and I am not quite sure what but I sure did enjoy it...These are the moments I want to go over to ASR and be a rabble-rouser.
Glad it's coming on tune! Go start some stuff!

• Haha
Reactions: skids929

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
about how many hours would you estimate you had played the K50 before you noticed it start to really open up? I am guessing over 100.

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
about how many hours would you estimate you had played the K50 before you noticed it start to really open up? I am guessing over 100.

I'd estimate about 75 or so? It was sort of sudden, I was like what the heck system is this? Maybe the caps are loosening up? Not sure, but there is some definite audible improvement and I have made no other changes to the system whatsoever. I did turn it off once or twice overnight for a cool-down exercise for all the Caps and Power Supplies. Who knows, it's all voodoo to me, but I trust my ears.

I owe a debt of gratitude to all the genius's here for preventing me from throwing myself out a window by providing reassurance it will improve. Seems you might be correct. : )

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Loosely following some of the comments here. For me, it took 10 days of mostly on time for the K50 to become listenable, so 250 hours. Before this it actively subverted the sound. By three weeks it was mostly there.

I read somewhere, maybe a review, that the K50 should be left on full time. If allowed to cool down, it takes three days to fully return.

It also responds to power cords. The Shunyata v2 NR‘s do a great job. I recently picked up a Puritan PSM156 with Puritan Ultimate power cord (to feed the unit). This helps quite a bit as well and suspect this unit does something similar to the v2NR’s. In fact I’d pick up a Puritan for this before a Shunyata cord considering the cost, with the Puritan cleaning power for all source equipment.

Enjoy the journey. The destination is worthwhile.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Before this it actively subverted the sound.

It can be so tough on the emotions to go through that phase. I don't recall experiencing this with my K30 as best as I can remember.

PavelDosko

Feb 11, 2021
Gentlemen, is there anyone who switched to K50 from Auralic Aries G2.1? My DAC is Rockna Wavedream Edition XLR and I want to use I2S input.

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Gentlemen, is there anyone who switched to K50 from Auralic Aries G2.1? My DAC is Rockna Wavedream Edition XLR and I want to use I2S input.
You're probably better off with the Wavedream.net since Nucu designs his dacs specifically for it that connection with his server.

Reactions: Cyrus

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing