Is there a streamer front end that doesn't cost mountains!?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I’m talking low electrical and mechanical noise, not so much jitter (not to downplay its importance). This is why I like streaming transports as they reduce the amount of electrical devices within the units.

I’m not sure if it’s a unique stance, but I’ve come to really enjoy integrated amps but prefer separates when it comes to digital. Separate streamer, separate dac, and if you need a server, keep that separate as well.

Yes, low electrical noise is what I meant, not jitter since that should be already low in computer audio, as I said. So no disagreements here. I also agree on separates in digital.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
The obvious trend is to blow wads of cash on a front end, as a general trend of just blowing money on everything hifi related typically is. I have a Lampi GG2 and this wasn't exactly cheap. My Auralic Aries Femto seems to be viewed as average. Although I'm very good with building PC's and setting them up that looks like a mountain of hassle and cost. Outside of this I've seen recommendations for £16000 front ends! This all sounds a bit nuts given the quality of my Dac. So what's a sensible front end that's better than the Aries?

Thanks! Tim
Yes, here it is. The 432 EVO got best of show in Munich. And there is the next model down AEON at 5K euros which is superb. 2 x linear power supply, custom OS, 432hz tuning, SSD, Roon core and Logitech Media Server. PM me for details. I am running a promotion at the moment. Aries-Cerat-room.jpg EVO-Master-slide4.jpg EVO-Master-slide3.jpg EVO-Master-slide2.jpg EVO-Master-slide1.jpg

Tim F

Jun 11, 2018
£££ no doubt! Going to take a look at LDMS.

What are people's opinions of the Ideon re-clockers?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
£££ no doubt! Going to take a look at LDMS.

What are people's opinions of the Ideon re-clockers?
I know many many people using them (both small and big model) and raving about the positives they bring into the game. I'll get their big model in month or two if all fine.
With LDMS there is even an option to install the re-clocker inside the server (which I'll go for) and thus avoiding usage of two USB cables.

Reactions: Tim F

Tim F

Jun 11, 2018
That's sensible Goran, I know how much your USB cables cost! Find it really interesting that the GG's clocks actually get help from these units. Outside of tube output dacs that are not made to measure perfectly. It's really interesting that SOTA dacs are improved by these devices. Suggests that the measurement crew are missing something when SOTA Dacs are impacted. Hmm !

ferenc_k

Apr 9, 2011
Exactly the opposite of my point. I don’t want to spend anywhere near that. I’m asking what options exist that are more reasonable and still sound good. Cheers Tim

Why not try a Lindemann Limetree (a Bridge or a Network)? Very, very cheap, works like charm, Tidal runs very well directly on it, both have wifi and 100 Mb/s RJ45 connection. If you can spend a bit more, you can try the Musicbook SOURCE series from Lindenmann too.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ferenc, a member here has just invested in the Limetree Bridge w Chord Qutest, and my tt designer runs the same setup. Both really like the sound, and Covid permitting I have a chance to hear this setup on a system including line array spkrs.
I'll be intrigued to gauge SQ and compare to when I hear Qutest on an Innuos Zen Mk2.

Reactions: ferenc_k

ferenc_k

Apr 9, 2011
Ferenc, a member here has just invested in the Limetree Bridge w Chord Qutest, and my tt designer runs the same setup. Both really like the sound, and Covid permitting I have a chance to hear this setup on a system including line array spkrs.
I'll be intrigued to gauge SQ and compare to when I hear Qutest on an Innuos Zen Mk2.

These Lindemann Limetree units are upconverting (or down, depending on the source) all the signals, but they are doing it on a very nice way. I really like how they sound. Few weeks ago I got a chance to try an Audionet DNP which is a combined USB DAC, network player and a very good real preamp. It is converting everything to 192k and it worked really really well. So conversion is not always a problem if it is done right.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, if the demo I hear w the Qutest tickles me, I'll seriously investigate. My only issue is lack of Roon Core, and this issue swings me twds the Innuos Zen.

roundhead

Oct 31, 2018
The obvious trend is to blow wads of cash on a front end, as a general trend of just blowing money on everything hifi related typically is. I have a Lampi GG2 and this wasn't exactly cheap. My Auralic Aries Femto seems to be viewed as average. Although I'm very good with building PC's and setting them up that looks like a mountain of hassle and cost. Outside of this I've seen recommendations for £16000 front ends! This all sounds a bit nuts given the quality of my Dac. So what's a sensible front end that's better than the Aries?

Thanks! Tim

How about a Beosound Core for £600/$600?
It will stream from streaming services and present the ripped files from your CDs. It has an integrated DAC but if you prefer to use your own DAC it equipped with a Toslink out.

Last edited:

Tim F

Jun 11, 2018
I know many many people using them (both small and big model) and raving about the positives they bring into the game. I'll get their big model in month or two if all fine.
With LDMS there is even an option to install the re-clocker inside the server (which I'll go for) and thus avoiding usage of two USB cables.

Picked up the cheaper Ideon clock will give it a try when I get my pre fixed. :)

Goran, do you think both USB cables are of equal importance given the re-clocking?

Last edited:

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
For the ever so slightest learning curve, you can't go past a Raspberry Pi with PiCorePlayer. Put LMS on your back-end, and you've got a player that will beat the best of them, be more versatile, and cost a pittance.

Is there some consensus on how good this really is? I’ve been using LMS since the Squeezebox days. It’s a great music server, so driving a Raspberry Pi with it might be something I’d consider.

amey01

Mar 3, 2015
Queensland, Australia
Is there some consensus on how good this really is? I’ve been using LMS since the Squeezebox days. It’s a great music server, so driving a Raspberry Pi with it might be something I’d consider.

How good it is? Like anything, it depends on your configuration and how you want to use it.

It is certainly capable (like any computer) of taking bits off a network and getting them to your DAC with 100% accuracy. From there, your DAC should be the device that takes over - buffering, clocking the bitstream and executing the D>A conversion.

If that's how you are intending to use it, it'll be as good as anything out there.

Certainly a damn sight better than asking the Squeezebox hardware device to clock your bitstream, and then sending that over a cruddy SPDIF connection.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Certainly a damn sight better than asking the Squeezebox hardware device to clock your bitstream, and then sending that over a cruddy SPDIF connection.
I haven’t used SB hardware to deliver bits in at least a 1/2 dozen years. My reference was to LMS.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing