Isolation Transformer and Balanced Power versus PS Audio Regenerator

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
It seems in a high performance system going for Buying Isolation Transformers or any other AC solution is wasteful.
A big/rich company like TAD should put money for designing a good AC Regenerator.

I remember the only audio comany who used AC regenerator was Mark Levinson (NO.32 pre).

last night the AC quality was good between 8:30PM to 9:15PM so the tone was lovely, after 9:30 the AC quality was not good.
No 33 and the 33h I own no 33 mono blocks

Reactions: Amir

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Interesting thread so many observations to ponder
a made for the purpose audio transformer should be better as it of done well a few design changes to help us.
the size of the transformer is also very f great concern and less then good results can at times be traced back to size used.
I trust ralph but do have some questions
1- center tap to lower common mode noise I’ve made these , what does he mean the CT is not exactly centered . I know what he means but I can’t see how it’s so important. we
Don’t use the tap it’s just becomes a grounding point on secondary side.
this is for Amir with any observations you make did you measure to see in actual data why ?
I am a fan of regeneration as it’s truly clean
I’ve seen in use CT for preamps and the like but not amps to my knowledge

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
No 33 and the 33h I own no 33 mono blocks
Yes, NO.33 power amplifier has AC regenerator only for the voltage gain section and the final power stage of MO.33 is connected to Wall AC.

no other company in high end history have this AC generator.

I agree you the final solution is AC regenerator but there is no good ac regenerator in this market for over 100w amplifiers, for under 100w amplifiers in this market there is good option: purepower 3000+.

kevin designer of Living Voice use Victron Inverter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alrainbow

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
on small scale amps and devices regen is good
we can get close in the psu if on small scale stuff.
One thing that puzzles me is battery power devices
We both know batteries are very noisy in ways unlike AC power
Then the use of various filters is needed and they each have their own noise lol. regulators being one of them.
Yet all use regulators I wonder on small scale devices how much would be effected if no regulation is done in a SS way but just chokes and caps in multiple stages

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Some experts believe the Batteries are not good source of currents/power (for AC Regenerators) and they prefer to use Main AC for input of AC regeneration.

I do not have valid information about batteries.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
If you look batteries as a power source you quickly see there issues.
In short it’s not the voltage getting lower as discharge
they make noise in pulses and have voltage spikes and dips.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Interesting thread so many observations to ponder
a made for the purpose audio transformer should be better as it of done well a few design changes to help us.
the size of the transformer is also very f great concern and less then good results can at times be traced back to size used.
I trust ralph but do have some questions
1- center tap to lower common mode noise I’ve made these , what does he mean the CT is not exactly centered . I know what he means but I can’t see how it’s so important. we
Don’t use the tap it’s just becomes a grounding point on secondary side.
this is for Amir with any observations you make did you measure to see in actual data why ?
I am a fan of regeneration as it’s truly clean
I’ve seen in use CT for preamps and the like but not amps to my knowledge
The problem with center taps in general is they cannot be perfectly placed. In a power transformer of any kind, this means that the center tap can put current in the ground if it is tied to it. IOW its never actually 'balanced'. That is why in balanced line connections for audio, center taps are not used and to the best of my knowledge don't exist in transformers used for this purpose.

If you think about it, the regular home power system of two connections for power and a ground connection that normally does not carry current is exactly the same system as a balanced line carrying audio. The ground is a safety thing and so if the ground does wind up with current its pointing at a malfunction or design flaw in the equipment used on that power connection.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Some good points made.
Various equipment does respond differently to the various filters, regenerators and isolation transformers. I have heard this with the various amps I have, as well as front end equipment.

How many people optimize their power supply to support the use of any "conditioner". That is a first step. Even PS Audio will say the unit sounds better with a good power cord.

Just to be fair, I am now a paying advertiser on whatsbestforum. And I am a rep for Torus. I have a bias and sure, I want to make money for all my time invested in figuring this stuff out. I have been at it since 2014. Really looking at what make an audio system tic when it comes to electrical power. I will be the first to tell you, don't buy a Torus or Everest or AQ5000 till you optimally set up the infrastructure of your home to support it. They are not band aids. They are purpose built devices that oddly rely on a very good electrical supply to do what they were designed to do. In the Suncoast audio interview with Caelin on the Altaire grounding box, Caelin said their listening/evaluation room has its own dedicated isolation transformer feeding it. That should tell you something.
I am ordering a Altaira signal ground soon. Our friend SCAudiophile convinced me.

When anyone has me design a new room and I am using a big wall mount, I always encourage them to have unfiltered premium circuits in the room. Just in case. Especially at the rack. I don't have near enough data and customer feedback on how the various filters perform on the front end. What I do believe is true is that most well made filters will improve upon the front end. Most filters struggle with amplifiers. Torus seems to have significantly less issues and great upside with amps when you set the electrical foundation correct to support them. But having unfiltered circuits from the panel that feeds the Torus, going to the rack and/or amp wall is not a bad idea.

I firmly believe power and room are the top 2 foundational component you need for any 2 channel stereo to reach its full potential. I use to be very suspect of filters. I know see, done right and powered properly, they are almost a necessity. There is too much noise from the home and the street.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
The problem with center taps in general is they cannot be perfectly placed. In a power transformer of any kind, this means that the center tap can put current in the ground if it is tied to it. IOW its never actually 'balanced'. That is why in balanced line connections for audio, center taps are not used and to the best of my knowledge don't exist in transformers used for this purpose.

If you think about it, the regular home power system of two connections for power and a ground connection that normally does not carry current is exactly the same system as a balanced line carrying audio. The ground is a safety thing and so if the ground does wind up with current its pointing at a malfunction or design flaw in the equipment used on that power connection.
Ralph first thanks for taking the time to reply
next the power transformer feeding our homes in most cases is 3 phase so while these some similarity it’s not the same
Even if the center tap is not exact and I see your point the transformer is still
Isolated from its primary
the new center tap becomes a new power source
Next common mode is lowered greatly yes not stopped but the premise or purpose is still there.
many preamps and even amps do this old
And new. amps more Likly need this to obtain a higher voltage swing right. so while we all point to dirty power how many measure to see what’s left at the filtered secondary dc used to feed the line stages
Bypass caps to go after what’s left and effect the varying freq effect on total caps. lower cap size yields better in lower freq but is slower on higher freq
now KINGREX takes the time to measure what he can to know the effective possibility of changes.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Ralph first thanks for taking the time to reply
next the power transformer feeding our homes in most cases is 3 phase so while these some similarity it’s not the same
Even if the center tap is not exact and I see your point the transformer is still
Isolated from its primary
the new center tap becomes a new power source
Next common mode is lowered greatly yes not stopped but the premise or purpose is still there.
many preamps and even amps do this old
And new. amps more Likly need this to obtain a higher voltage swing right. so while we all point to dirty power how many measure to see what’s left at the filtered secondary dc used to feed the line stages
Bypass caps to go after what’s left and effect the varying freq effect on total caps. lower cap size yields better in lower freq but is slower on higher freq
now KINGREX takes the time to measure what he can to know the effective possibility of changes.
This is why I don't use a passive transformer if I'm being serious about cleaning up the AC power. If there are already harmonics on the AC line, many transformers will pass the harmonics along, whether balanced or not is irrelevant. The most pesky harmonic, the 5th (according to papers I've read over the last 30 years) is pretty hard to filter out passively.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
This is why I don't use a passive transformer if I'm being serious about cleaning up the AC power. If there are already harmonics on the AC line, many transformers will pass the harmonics along, whether balanced or not is irrelevant. The most pesky harmonic, the 5th (according to papers I've read over the last 30 years) is pretty hard to filter out passively.
100% agree. I have seen no filter or isolation transformer from any company filter low order harmonics. They walk through all of them. What is odd is how I see extreme reflected harmonics back to the main power panel from many name brand filters. High numbers. Like 12% or more on the branch. If you had anything else on that duplex or branch, its getting obliterated with noise. The main panel with the larger bus seems to be able to sum some amount of the affect out. But it does raise the THD on the entire electrical system.

Reactions: Atmasphere

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
i like 'clobbered' over 'obliterated'...
Yea, I was not happy with the word. Clobbered is better.

What's funny, if you placed any other conditioner on that branch, the back noise is walking right through one another. That could make a ringing mess between the two. He had 2, same brand and model on the same branch wire. You saw the Fluke scope meter leap up when they were turned on. The house at the main panel did not read that bad. Average.

Onepoint5

Sep 23, 2011
did you listened to those filters in a high performance system?

the positive subjective experience is the key
The Mirus are for industrial,use. They can increase the output voltage radically if they are lightly loaded. They are intended for three phase VSD harmonics blocking only. The example was to show how magnetics in transformers can reduce harmonics to a certain extent by themselves without relying on a bank of separate filters. I would not recommend the Mirus type filters for audio use.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing