It’s All a Preference

Yeah...I think this is another case of extremely liberal interpretations of what someone else, me, said. I don't think there are any known distortions I don't believe in, John. There are, however, a number of them that I think are mostly eradicated in competently-designed contemporary equipment that, in spite of being reduced to the threshold of inaudibility in very modest gear, are suffered over greatly, even in the most expensive equipment, by some Audiophiles.

A good thing, I suppose. Something needs to keep the high end up there.

Tim
If you say so, Tim, I really, honestly don't remember what was being discussed & have no motivation to read back over an old thread to pick up the point of debate again! But I'm sure you'll have ample opportunity to post along similar lines in the other active thread we are both participating in.

---Does Preference to be truly valid need a point of Reference (with accurate measurements)? :b

Nope. You can prefer a Bose Wave Radio to Steve's system. It requires no reference, no evidence, no support. Choose it. In the choosing it becomes a valid choice.

Tim

---What a drag! ...Don't seem to be fair! :D

Soooo, Preference is based solely on personal taste without any validation whatsoever on what is the closest to the most accurate truth in audio reproduction?

---Does Preference to be truly valid need a point of Reference (with accurate measurements)? :b
In my case & most of those I know, preference is based on an audio reproduction that is closer to the sound of real instruments. Those who play an instrument, especially un-amplified, and have developed a sensitivity to the subtle differences between types/models of that instrument, usually use this as their reference point for their "preference". So, in my experience, most people that I know, have a reference (no measurements needed)!

---My own Preference is based on all my years of experience in developing an acute rendition of the music's emotional impact deep into my soul.

And my point of reference is FREEDOM. ...With a lot of IMAGINATION. :b

---What a drag! ...Don't seem to be fair! :D

Soooo, Preference is based solely on personal taste without any validation whatsoever on what is the closest to the most accurate truth in audio reproduction?

Shhh...don't tell Sean Olive. His test says "accuracy" is preferred by his test group.

Shhh...don't tell Sean Olive. His test says "accuracy" is preferred by his test group.

It is. Accuracy didn't validate the listeners' preferences. The listeners' preferences validated the appeal of accuracy.

Tim

It is. Accuracy didn't validate the listeners' preferences. The listeners' preferences validated the appeal of accuracy.

Tim

Uh, Tim you buried.

No. He was responding to my post which he edited to mean something completely difference

Last edited:
Uh, Tim you buried.

I didn't bury it, Greg, I answered it. Preference is preference. What Sean's study showed is that a very high percentage of people prefer accurate reproduction. That does nothing to invalidate the preferences of those who like inaccurate reproduction. You like what you like. There's no arguing with it. Someday you guys may find that magic unmeasurable you're always talking about and it may prove that what I've preferred all these years was edgy and dull; all at once. I still will have preferred it.

Tim

Tim Stop arguing and read.

Sean's study purports to show a corrrealtion between acuuracy and preference. (He concedes the sample is to small to apply to the general public). Niow read the other quote:

[Empahsis supplied]

See the difference. In Seans persoanl preference verified by measured accuracy. In quote "without any vailidation whatsoever."

(He concedes the sample is to small to apply to the general public).

Hello Gregadd

You sure about that?? He just did the study with college kids and the conclussion was they liked more accurate sound.

It's not just him but Toole as well and they have been doing these tests over a good number of years. I can see one test not being enough but repeated tests having the same conclusion does carry a bit more weight.

http://seanolive.blogspot.com/

Rob:)

I agree Greg & have stated already that in my experience a lot of audiophiles choose a reproduction because it is more accurate to the sound of the instruments that they are familiar with. People who play an instrument often use this as their criteria, the rest of us tend to use a variety of different references, female singer's, piano, cymbals, Double bass, etc.

So yes, accuracy is the reference - it ain't "just" preference!!

Hello Gregadd

You sure about that?? He just did the study with college kids and the conclussion was they liked more accurate sound.

It's not just him but Toole as well and they have been doing these tests over a good number of years. I can see one test not being enough but repeated tests having the same conclusion does carry a bit more weight.

http://seanolive.blogspot.com/

Rob:)

While the small sample size of listeners doesn't allow us to make generalizations to larger populations, nonetheless it is reassuring to find that both the American and Japanese students, regardless of their critical listening experience, recognized good sound when they heard it, and preferred it to the lower quality options

Form the link you provided.

I 've posted this before: In order for such a small sample to apply, every member of the population must have an equal chance of being selected. Not everyone goes to college. We can stop there.

Last edited:
I agree Greg & have stated already that in my experience a lot of audiophiles choose a reproduction because it is more accurate to the sound of the instruments that they are familiar with. People who play an instrument often use this as their criteria, the rest of us tend to use a variety of different references, female singer's, piano, cymbals, Double bass, etc.

So yes, accuracy is the reference - it ain't "just" preference!!

If it doesn't sound like real music, what's the point? I'll just buy myself a new carbon fiber bicycle and enjoy the weather.

Last edited:
If it doesn't sound like real music, what's the point? I'll just buy myself a new carbon fibre bicylce and enjoy the weather.
Yes, but watch the demands starting for proof that "your definition" of "real music" is the same as the next man's :) i.e it's all just preference!

it's amazing how some seem to think our senses are so "unreliable" - I wonder how, in their opinion, we have survived as a species? Survival demands reliable senses are necessary to deal with the real world.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu