It’s All a Preference

Northstar, thansk for the honest answer, it's what I deliver & expect the same from others. But do I have to spell it out to you?????? we were talking about using real instruments & their characteristics as a reference for evaluating the accuracy of a playback system. Man you are confused, not me !!!!!!! Surrounding your confusion you create a confusion matrix !!!

Enjoy yourself. Any typos?

Last edited:
I agree to a certain extent. But that means the results are not applicable to the general public. That's where I came in.
How is that? I have sat through two sessions with "general public" sitting through the same tests and with similar percentages agreeing with the research.

BTW AMIR Do you think I want measurements to be a predictor of how for instance, a speaker sounds? That was my goal when I entered audio. But as in my own profession, the law and measurements have let me down.
Random measurements? No. But specific ones as explained by Harman, yes. For the most part they predict the performance. It involves making 70 point measurements of the speaker in horizontal and vertical planes and then applying weighting to each one to account for what would normally occur in a room (with respect to reflections). Using that data, prediction can be as good as 90% or even better. Unfortunately no one makes such measurements so what is there is not a predictor of performance.

Robert Johnson, of course

Tim

-----Bingo! :b

* Here's one version of it (to help in my confusion...).

--> It should help me to relax more and not to take life too seriously.

...And the original:

Last edited:
crikey, it can get real touchy lately round here. Before I answer John, I just wanna make sure people know I was not deliberately stirring the pot! These points are what I have been wondering, it was not an attempt to light a fuse..I did not know the fuse was even there!

Terry, how many time have you heard cymbals on a playback system sound like rain on a tin roof or applause the same?

Hardly ever...tbh I do not ever recall going 'oh yuck, that applause does not sound like real applause'. For starters, it implies a live recording..well what is being recorded?? The concert, NOT the applause. So where is the recording energy concentrated?? In making the applause as realistic as possible?? Does that mean then that the entire concert was recorded only from the mics placed "somewhere" out in the audience? Or is the audience ambience just mixed into the album. IF it were recorded 'out there' were the mics chosen that would best pick up the concert in front of them, or chosen to best pick up the audience around the mics? One would lead to a better reproduction of the concert, the other a better reproduction of the audience. Which would you prefer?

OR, were the instruments etc on stage blended together from close mics?? Dunno, not a recording engineer, but you use what you think the audience should sound as your reference???? Or the cymbals??

Edit: You can always have a doubt about the recording until you find a playback that reveals the "realistic" sound of cymbals or applause or ..... then you have your reference recordings!

So you mean you pick a recording that sound right (on a bad system say...) then how would they sound on a good system? See the difficulty? Your reference (and it HAS become a reference, you just said so) sounds good on system X. We have zero idea if the recording is a good one or not (more on that later, it WAS what I mainly wanted to discuss) but you have elected it a reference because the cymbals and applause sound real to you on system X.

That, in order that the point be clear, it was elected that way on the crappiest Bose system around surely introduces a swag of problems. Firstly, it is such a human trait that once we decide things they (mostly always) never get inspected again..after all you DID make the decision right?...it becomes a hidden variable, a hidden false standard. Hidden because once we have made the decision we move on. Further, as WE decided it we also begin to constantly defend it, thereby not only strengthening it but also ensuring it remains un-inspected. (I have mentioned this a bit recently, it is our assumptions-nothing else-that really stuff us up)

So your 'reference' recording will now sound crap on a good system right? But, as your (false in this example) reference sounds bad, and it IS the reference, you can only conclude that the system is bad.

You don't see the problem??

Anyway, this is the angle I am coming from. Substitute cymbals or audience if you wish, the question is 'Do you (all of us, not john) KNOW how much processing goes on in recordings?'' If processing has been done on the instrument you have decided is the one to make judgement, then it has been altered and hence it no longer sounds (as) real as without processing. Yet, we are applying the standard of 'how real is *this* instrument'? (or applause, whatever)

The hidden, uninspected assumptions I am talking about revolves around the word KNOW. Not assume, not 'I think this is how it is'...heck, most people probably never even GOT to the decision making stage of the question. I mean in order to come to a conclusion you must have at least thought about it right? I'd wager few have even asked the question. (not the question of how real is the recording, that is old hat. I mean who knows what sort of processing is involved in the making of albums)

As I said, it is only because I recently have been researching the question (how music is made recording wise) that the amount of processing in recordings has been made clear. As I said, maybe not these audiophile recordings from mapleshade etc, but your bog standard everyday ones...you'd have NO idea.

Straight away what happened? People jumping to the defence of their hidden assumptions. Oh so common, oh so human.

I wish Bruce would share his knowledge with us, he is a mastering engineer, the final link in the chain and it is not uncommon for him to tweak the recordings given to him. But how much processing has been done even before it get's to him? THAT is the question.

Do *you* KNOW how much has been done to the guitars?? (or cymbals if you prefer)

If people were honest, surely they would have to say 'well now that I think about it, and put my assumptions aside, I don't actually know'.

Terry, you're twisting yourself in knots unnecessarily. I didn't say my reference is one that sounds good on a crappy system.

Instead of all this abstract talking - have a listen to the track I mentioned - Court & Spark on the Joni Letters by Herbie Hancock. Listen for the very fine brush strokes on the cymbals near the beginning. This is a reference I use! It's easy for this to sound like electronic hiss rather than the texture of a brush stroke on a cymbal. How do I know that it is well recorder & the sound actually on the recording is textured & "real" sounding? Because I've heard systems that render it accurately.

Does this explain what I'm talking about?

I absolutely hate it when a ride cymbal sounds like an aerosol spray can.

Terry, you're twisting yourself in knots unnecessarily. I didn't say my reference is one that sounds good on a crappy system.

No you didn't, but I want to know how you can judge your reference. 'it sounds real', well back to where we started.

I guess that means you made it your reference because it sounded real on a good system? How do you know it is a good system...because it sounds real. Collect two hundred and go around the board again.

What has not happened tho is an answer to my question. Do you KNOW that your reference disc has no processing (which would by definition alter it from 'real') on whatever it is that you use to judge reality? Can you answer that direct question? Do you know how much processing goes on in recordings? How much went on in YOUR recording?

KNOW?

Instead of all this abstract talking - have a listen to the track I mentioned - Court & Spark on the Joni Letters by Herbie Hancock. Listen for the very fine brush strokes on the cymbals near the beginning. This is a reference I use! It's easy for this to sound like electronic hiss rather than the texture of a brush stroke on a cymbal. How do I know that it is well recorder & the sound actually on the recording is textured & "real" sounding? Because I've heard systems that render it accurately.

Does this explain what I'm talking about?

Herbie hancock, guess that means jazz? If so, pass thankyou very much. Sorry, I simply cannot abide (what is normally) described as jazz. I have as bad a reaction to jazz as I have to anything by queen..normally an almost irresistable urge to throw the bloody remoter thru the tweeter, anything to shut the bloody thing up:D

In fact, if I were a judge it would be a suitable defense against murder.."i was so angry and emotional your honour when they played 'we will rock you' I just lost it I did not mean to kill him, I just reacted"!

No you didn't, but I want to know how you can judge your reference. 'it sounds real', well back to where we started.

I guess that means you made it your reference because it sounded real on a good system? How do you know it is a good system...because it sounds real. Collect two hundred and go around the board again.

What has not happened tho is an answer to my question. Do you KNOW that your reference disc has no processing (which would by definition alter it from 'real') on whatever it is that you use to judge reality? Can you answer that direct question? Do you know how much processing goes on in recordings? How much went on in YOUR recording?

KNOW?
Ok, I see where you are coming from but you are still getting into knots, I believe. I make one premise about this - I reckon the recording engineer did not engineer the sound of the ride cymbal to sound like an aerosol spray as Garyprotein says. The rendering of the rest of the instrumentation usually gives me a clue to this!

Herbie hancock, guess that means jazz? If so, pass thankyou very much. Sorry, I simply cannot abide (what is normally) described as jazz. I have as bad a reaction to jazz as I have to anything by queen..normally an almost irresistable urge to throw the bloody remoter thru the tweeter, anything to shut the bloody thing up:D

In fact, if I were a judge it would be a suitable defense against murder.."i was so angry and emotional your honour when they played 'we will rock you' I just lost it I did not mean to kill him, I just reacted"!

Ah well you're missing out on some lovely interpretation of Joni Mitchell's songs, played by Herbie & co & featuring Norah Jones, Tina Turner, Corinne Bailey Rae, Joni, Leonard Cohen, Wayne Shorter, & others

KNOW?

So Terry hates jazz? And he's funny about it. I used to hate jazz, then had a breakthrough. Or break down, I suppose, if you still hate jazz. Herbie Hancock, River: The Joni Letters. Wonderful digital recording. Plenty of processing. But the percussive sounds are very good.

Tim

PS: I agree with your take on Queen.

Ok, I see where you are coming from but you are still getting into knots, I believe.

Well, it's good at least we are making progress! (you see where I am coming from, sorry if I explained it poorly earlier)

I make one premise about this - I reckon the recording engineer did not engineer the sound of the ride cymbal to sound like an aerosol spray as Garyprotein says.

Ok, so is this sort of an answer to the direct question I asked you to answer? You will admit a premise is just that tho, something from which you start, it is assumed to be true yet not known to be true. In short, you are assuming that the cymbals are recorded in a life like way. Yes, I can accept that (they sound real and like cymbals), but the real question is do you KNOW that there is NO processing whatsoever that would in any way affect the sound of those cymbals. If there is, no matter what it was, then the lifelike cymbals being used to judge the reproduction are not 'as' lifelike as they should be.

Do we agree on that?

Sound acceptable, sure. Not obviously changed by processing, sure. Real? How do we know.

As I asked, do you have any actual knowledge of the amount of signal manipulation done in recordings?

The rendering of the rest of the instrumentation usually gives me a clue to this!

You mean guitars sound like guitars and cellos sound like cellos? Sure, we went thru this. They sound like that on the radio too.

You (? or someone else?) mentioned things like the decay trail of the note, yeah I said as much in the first post, I do think that is where we tend to distinguish between systems, that is what contributes to 'lifelike', a guitar will pretty much always sound like a guitar you know. (or cello, whatever)

The standard mantra is 'like real unamplified instruments'. Some guy waxes poetic about how he wants a cello to sound like a cello....then you find out he listens to a two way with a five inch woofer. I mean, what can you say. To me at least, there is not a chance in hell he can accurately get the bass, the weight of the cello close to real. Yet he is using 'I want it to sound like a real cello', follow what I mean??

So, at least from my perspective, there is no chance the speakers could even do it (the weight if you will), and that is even before wondering whether or not the cello in the recording has had any eq for example, which immediately takes it *that* far away from real.

Ah well you're missing out on some lovely interpretation of Joni Mitchell's songs, played by Herbie & co & featuring Norah Jones, Tina Turner, Corinne Bailey Rae, Joni, Leonard Cohen, Wayne Shorter, & others

Hmm, norah jones eh? You are making it even less likely now!:D

So Terry hates jazz? And he's funny about it. I used to hate jazz, then had a breakthrough. Or break down, I suppose, if you still hate jazz. Herbie Hancock, River: The Joni Letters. Wonderful digital recording. Plenty of processing. But the percussive sounds are very good.

Well, I did make sure I wrote 'what is normally' described as jazz. That was an attempt to acknowledge that jazz, like any genre I guess, can be quite vast. It implied that I do not like what I have heard to date described as jazz, an attempt to leave the door open to there being 'some' jazz somewhere that I might like. So it was very general, and I tried to make that clear.

I find (what I have heard at least) unbearably pretentious. Too arty for it's own good, needless tuneless noodling. Play any note, does not matter.

I quite like the old dixieland stuff, tho would not listen to much of it.

PS: I agree with your take on Queen.

Oh man, it is becoming unbearable. Talk about fluff. TBH they did have one fantastic song (I'm in love with my car), but to grow up with it constantly-perhaps being able to suffer in silence, some vague assumption it would die away-but for it still to be haunting me twenty years later?

I watch a lot of rugby, but always (and I mean always) they have to play the same five bars of 'we will rock you' over and over, every damned game. And then to watch a two minute segment of the closing of the olympic games on the news, and there it is again! The same damned five bars of rock you.

It's a curse, a plague I tell you.

You ask a tough question Terry, when is it the recording and not the system that's screwed up. In my case it's when I hear the cymbals sound like cymbals in another system. Of course, now we have to figure out what's going on in the first system that's screwing things up! Ah the life of a system integrator! LOL.

-----Greg, I luv you man, and I got absolutely nothing against any typos from any members here!
I simply don't sweat the small stuff.

And if and when I mention one, it is mainly for a simple correction without any harm done.
And if a person is too sensitive about it, and that I can see, I will climb the highest mountain all alone I guarantee you.

You ask a tough question Terry, when is it the recording and not the system that's screwed up. In my case it's when I hear the cymbals sound like cymbals in another system. Of course, now we have to figure out what's going on in the first system that's screwing things up! Ah the life of a system integrator! LOL.

Hi jack,m yeah look, I don't want to get tooo tied up with 'is it the recording or the system', tho that is fundamental! I really only wanted to pursue the question of 'how much really has the ''''cello'''-or whatever-been modified. If we take live unamplified as our reference, which it seems is a bit of a mantra, well we are at the mercy of exactly how 'pure' as it were that '''cello'''' really is on the recording. As I said, have been getting into that side a bit the last few months, and the takeaway (which is surprising a bit) is just how much manipulation takes place. "The bass guitar already takes that 'FR space', so we need to modify this guitar so they don't compete''. Yet, if we judge the system by how real the guitar sounds..it already has been changed from real.

You have a bit of experience in this area, can you give us any thoughts or insights here??? I could be wrong, I am curious.

Processing can be thought of as a necessary evil to correct deficiencies in the microphones and/or the medium. Mics aren't flat and economic considerations gets in the way of the media. This is where the engineers come in. I'm not sure what the ratio is but I'm sure there is one, whichever way it's skewed, between fidelity and their own interpretative/artistic license. Regardless, it's a comparison between what they heard coming in vs what they hear going out, again whether it's to keep it the same or "improve" on it. Sometimes I wonder how many engineers make changes just to justify their paychecks. I'm sure it's happened that a client walked in and an engineer said not to change a thing but I'm pretty sure that's rare! From what I've witnessed, the engineer usually asks what the client wants done with it. I guess what I'm getting at is that it isn't that the material is passed around but more importantly it gets passed around to different people with latitude to make judgement calls. The question is, what do they use to make judgement calls? In a nutshell, it's their ideas of what sounds correct for the intended purpose, their individual preferences or their client's preferences. It's a very subjective process and I presume the biggest reason why there is a divide between the well recorded and the poorly recorded. We can't say it's the gear because there are many recordings out there that are stunning that use equipment that everybody else has access to. It's the people. We could draw an analogy between the guy with a modest system that knows what he's doing and one who has the money but hasn't bothered to learn and apply system set up fundamentals.

What I've noticed between so called subjectivists and so called objectivists is that the subjectivists extend the reproduction process to include their own sensibilities while the objectivists just want it straight up and guide themselves using metrics, sometimes stringent, sometimes not. Since I am in the retail end of the industry now and do my share of tuning, I can't impose my sensibility on the clients. While I am pretty liberal with my own systems, simple measurement tools like a Phonic for in-room response and a multimeter for voltage/bias and such help me to be more efficient. I don't want my clients to get sick of my face if I take too long! LOL

So I guess I just take recordings for what they are and don't sweat what's been done to them. My room isn't mastering level but it is spec'd pretty close. While it can be easy for me to hear into the process, frankly, I try not too. I changed career paths long ago and now I just want to enjoy listening as a member of a virtual audience and not as a critic or competitor in that audience. In this frame of mind, the easiest way to enjoy is to have the artificial construct fit more closely to what I might expect if I were at the booth or the event. I may never be able to recreate that exactly, perhaps not even close, but what does is allow me to be in a receptive state. I underlined "expect" because I am not comparing the instrument to its real life counterpart, only what I've come to know. Unlike the engineers, we do not have the luxury to hear what's coming in, only what's coming out, so expectations is all we have sonically. I don't think that's a bad thing. It's not fancy or impressive but it is normal. ;)

Yes, Terry, it's as Jack says, we accept that we can't recreate the sonic event or instrument in our listening room so we are dealing with an illusion. Finding those recordings that seem to offer the best illusion of a particular instrument, voice, etc. is what I seek & use as reference. I know this by hearing it on some very good systems. The process then is to bring another system up to that standard of replay. Your point is taken that it might all be an illusion but we are dealing in illusions. The study of pyschoacoustics for instance, is the study of the illusion of the ear i.e how it modifies & distorts the sound that impinges on it. I, for instance, have no problem in recognising that vinyl replay sounds so much more life-like & rich than most digital replay. Some people denigrate distortions as somehow being a delusion but our ears are doing that all the time in how they operate!

So it's really a relative thing, if you like, when comparing audio playback system, which illusion sounds best?

Yes, Terry, it's as Jack says, we accept that we can't recreate the sonic event or instrument in our listening room so we are dealing with an illusion. Finding those recordings that seem to offer the best illusion of a particular instrument, voice, etc. is what I seek & use as reference. I know this by hearing it on some very good systems. The process then is to bring another system up to that standard of replay. Your point is taken that it might all be an illusion but we are dealing in illusions. The study of pyschoacoustics for instance, is the study of the illusion of the ear i.e how it modifies & distorts the sound that impinges on it. I, for instance, have no problem in recognising that vinyl replay sounds so much more life-like & rich than most digital replay. Some people denigrate distortions as somehow being a delusion but our ears are doing that all the time in how they operate!

So it's really a relative thing, if you like, when comparing audio playback system, which illusion sounds best?

Yeah and good swig or joint makes that illusion all the more real!

Yeah and good swig or joint makes that illusion all the more real!
Or could drop some acid - that removes the subconcious filtering & allows one to bask in the illusion? I'm not prescribing, you understand?

Processing can be thought of as a necessary evil to correct deficiencies in the microphones and/or the medium. Mics aren't flat and economic considerations gets in the way of the media. This is where the engineers come in. I'm not sure what the ratio is but I'm sure there is one, whichever way it's skewed, between fidelity and their own interpretative/artistic license. Regardless, it's a comparison between what they heard coming in vs what they hear going out, again whether it's to keep it the same or "improve" on it. Sometimes I wonder how many engineers make changes just to justify their paychecks. I'm sure it's happened that a client walked in and an engineer said not to change a thing but I'm pretty sure that's rare! From what I've witnessed, the engineer usually asks what the client wants done with it. I guess what I'm getting at is that it isn't that the material is passed around but more importantly it gets passed around to different people with latitude to make judgement calls. The question is, what do they use to make judgement calls? In a nutshell, it's their ideas of what sounds correct for the intended purpose, their individual preferences or their client's preferences. It's a very subjective process and I presume the biggest reason why there is a divide between the well recorded and the poorly recorded. We can't say it's the gear because there are many recordings out there that are stunning that use equipment that everybody else has access to. It's the people. We could draw an analogy between the guy with a modest system that knows what he's doing and one who has the money but hasn't bothered to learn and apply system set up fundamentals.

What I've noticed between so called subjectivists and so called objectivists is that the subjectivists extend the reproduction process to include their own sensibilities while the objectivists just want it straight up and guide themselves using metrics, sometimes stringent, sometimes not. Since I am in the retail end of the industry now and do my share of tuning, I can't impose my sensibility on the clients. While I am pretty liberal with my own systems, simple measurement tools like a Phonic for in-room response and a multimeter for voltage/bias and such help me to be more efficient. I don't want my clients to get sick of my face if I take too long! LOL

So I guess I just take recordings for what they are and don't sweat what's been done to them. My room isn't mastering level but it is spec'd pretty close. While it can be easy for me to hear into the process, frankly, I try not too. I changed career paths long ago and now I just want to enjoy listening as a member of a virtual audience and not as a critic or competitor in that audience. In this frame of mind, the easiest way to enjoy is to have the artificial construct fit more closely to what I might expect if I were at the booth or the event. I may never be able to recreate that exactly, perhaps not even close, but what does is allow me to be in a receptive state. I underlined "expect" because I am not comparing the instrument to its real life counterpart, only what I've come to know. Unlike the engineers, we do not have the luxury to hear what's coming in, only what's coming out, so expectations is all we have sonically. I don't think that's a bad thing. It's not fancy or impressive but it is normal. ;)

-----That, is an excellent and truly honest post Jack! :b :cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu