I've never been to a HiFi show. Suggestions?

Zuman

Feb 25, 2023
I've enjoyed quality two-channel audio since I was captivated by and bought a pair of Martin Logan CLS speakers more than 35 years ago, but I've never been to a HiFi show.
I think I'd like to experience one. I live near Indianapolis and I have family in Eastern Pennsylvania. Are there any shows that you recommend that might either be convenient or are so compelling that it's worth making a special trip? (The "special trip" option would have to be REALLY compelling as my wife is most definitely NOT equally enthralled...).
Thanks!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Axpona in Chicago, Illinois is probably your best bet. I am sure your wife could find something to do there.

Reactions: rubinken

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Shows can be fun, but I wouldn't count on a lot of good sound. The conditions are too compromised for that. I would take notice of systems that do sound good, but discard any mediocre or even bad sound. It means nothing, and no conclusions can be drawn. You will find that your system at home sounds better than most of it.

As for AXPONA, I did go to the 2017 show and was underwhelmed. There was some great sound though, like the BorderPatrol/Triode Wire Labs/Volti room, which was spectacular (according to reports, those guys always deliver).

It appears several members of the forum love the Munich show and think it's the best. That's also a great city, and you and your wife may love it.

Reactions: Gregadd

Zuman

Feb 25, 2023
Thanks, Gregadd and Al M. Chicago is definitely doable, and my wife and I enjoyed Munich...35 years ago! Time for more schnitzel!

Reactions: Al M.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Reactions: Kal Rubinson

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I've enjoyed quality two-channel audio since I was captivated by and bought a pair of Martin Logan CLS speakers more than 35 years ago, but I've never been to a HiFi show.
I think I'd like to experience one. I live near Indianapolis and I have family in Eastern Pennsylvania. Are there any shows that you recommend that might either be convenient or are so compelling that it's worth making a special trip? (The "special trip" option would have to be REALLY compelling as my wife is most definitely NOT equally enthralled...).
Thanks!
Axpona is a wonderful show. It s in a very nice hotel and a very nice area. THis year will be the largest Axpona yet. The sound at audio shows is all over the place some good , some bad and some inbetween. THis is due to the short time people have to get everything together and of course its a hotel room and you try your best but don't always succeed. They are a good place to check out lots of gear and meet some interesting people.
For you its also going to be the closest. Our company has been there since 2017 and will continue for the foreseable future. Enjoy it IMO its worth the trip.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing