Jay's Audio CDT2-MkII CD Transport listening impressions

NBPK402

Jan 28, 2016
I was going to get the Avatar, but Vinshine said they are no longer available (I see a ton on ebay for sale...must be clones I assume.) I was told to get the Jays and actually picked up a CDT2 MK3 (upgraded from a MK2) for $1600 delivered...could not pass that up as it was even cheaper than the Avatar had been. I hope to have it this weekend. I am so looking forward to having this Transport. I do miss not having SACD capability, but I only have a few SACDs and I do have an old Pioneer Elite that I use for ripping them anyway. I can always use the coax digital out to the Pontus for SACD stereo, and Optical to the Marantz AVP for SACD 5.1 channel.

Does anyone know what the suspension mod costs? I see the Puck has more than doubled in price now I am gonna have to wait and save $500 for that mod.

Reactions: CKKeung and facten

kcleveland

Jun 5, 2023
I've had my Jay's Audio CDT2-Mk3 for about a year and a half and boy I couldn't be happier. It replaced my well enjoyed PS Audio PWT. I've got it connected via I2S (HDMI cable) to my PS Audio DS DAC (modded with fancy audio output transformers).

My digital front end has reached that "different not necessarily better than vinyl" that sounds simply like music; natural but not rolled off or soft.

Highly recommended and Jay's customer experience was excellent too. I bought a complete spare optical mechanism ($350, I think) just in case this unique Philips drive quits one day. I too only have a few SACDs so not a big deal that this is Redbook only. Always a bit surprised how much a good transport can elevate the sound quality. I think a lot has to do with phase noise/jitter reduction and very low noise power supplies, vibration isolation, etc. And it is built like a tank!

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
I've had my Jay's Audio CDT2-Mk3 for about a year and a half and boy I couldn't be happier. It replaced my well enjoyed PS Audio PWT. I've got it connected via I2S (HDMI cable) to my PS Audio DS DAC (modded with fancy audio output transformers).

My digital front end has reached that "different not necessarily better than vinyl" that sounds simply like music; natural but not rolled off or soft.

Highly recommended and Jay's customer experience was excellent too. I bought a complete spare optical mechanism ($350, I think) just in case this unique Philips drive quits one day. I too only have a few SACDs so not a big deal that this is Redbook only. Always a bit surprised how much a good transport can elevate the sound quality. I think a lot has to do with phase noise/jitter reduction and very low noise power supplies, vibration isolation, etc. And it is built like a tank!
I tried the $6500 PS Audio transport and found it to be the worst weird sounding transport among half a dozen (great concept/poor execution with cheap drive/parts). I was about to (and still might) purchase the CDT3-Mk3 but have converted an old Arcam Delta 250 transport with the classic Philips swing arm mechanism after installing top quality capacitors, regulators and especially, the resistor value by 50% fuse (which blew the analog board twice-80% rebuilt). I want to audition some all in one units such as the Ayon CD 35-II, Audio Note CD5x and a few others. I still like the dedicated swing arm Philips drives the best.

NBPK402

Jan 28, 2016
I just unpacked my Jays CDT2 MK3 and I was blown away on how good my CDs sound compared to streaming from Tidal and Roon... Best upgrade this year for me!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing